The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2022, 08:31 PM

Default DeArmond RHC-B (210) opinions

Been looking for a soundhole pickup and have a good opportunity to pick one of these up for a good deal comparing to prices on reverb. It does come with the box which is cool. But in terms of function, how do these compare to a more modern soundhole pickup like a Sunrise or M80?

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-13-2022, 09:38 PM

I've heard players who use a Sunrise soundhole pickup, but I have personal experience with one.

I've had a DeArmond like the one you ask about in an all-laminated 12-string for 40 years or so. It wasn't trying to sound "Natural" like a mic'ed acoustic guitar. While I've plugged it direct into a recording interface or into a PA, I most often use it into the guitar input of Fender guitar amp. I've used electric guitar strings, Martin Retro nickel strings, and "normal" PB acoustic guitar strings on it. The pickup responds different with the different strings.

If I was to generalize it gives a sound between that of a hollow-body electric guitar with acoustic guitar elements, and obviously the inexpensive laminated 12-string the pickup is in is not unplugged tone-monster. Not as punchy as some archtops. If you add some gain and effects with the non-PB strings it could pass muster as an electric 12-string which I use in the Byrds manner, but halfway in its life I got a full-fledged electric 12-string so I now use it less, though I still enjoy the vintage 70's plugged-in acoustic sound as a flavor.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification