The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Best Hawaiian Highlights For Just a Few Days? Need Opinions

I need some ideas about spots to visit in the Hawaiian Islands.

Mrs. Tinnitus and I are taking my mom's ashes to bury with Pop's at their favorite little church on Kauai. He's been there since 2003 and she will join him at last beneath the Sleeping Giant ridgeline above Kapaa. I wouldn't pick February, but that's what the family decided so we'll play along. We've been to Kauai before and it's beautiful - far less commercial and touristy (we're told) than the other islands.

Got some ideas already for things we'll do on Kauai, but we'll have a 3-4 days to spend, perhaps on other islands, before we meet up to bury Mom. So here's my question:

If you had a few days to spend on other islands, what are the things you would do/highlights you would visit?
- We don't mind taking inter-island hops.
- We've both been to Oahu countless times so we can skip that island.
- And we've also been to luaus, so that's not a big draw either.
- Rural and rustic hotel is fine, but it must have a beach.
- Need some more Kauai ideas too.

What memorable things can you all recommend that might be fun to do on the various islands? Which island is your favorite, and why? Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-10-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:41 AM

On Maui snorkeling off Napili Point is wonderful. And some great but sometimes challenging waterfall hikes there too. Lots of cultural sites to see on the Big Island like Kamehameha's birthplace.

One thing I haven't been able to take in yet on trips there is a good slack key show. I think Hawaiian slack key guitar may be the most beautiful musical genre anywhere.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
On Maui snorkeling off Napili Point is wonderful. And some great but sometimes challenging waterfall hikes there too. Lots of cultural sites to see on the Big Island like Kamehameha's birthplace.

One thing I haven't been able to take in yet on trips there is a good slack key show. I think Hawaiian slack key guitar may be the most beautiful musical genre anywhere.
Good ideas, thank you.

Pop was an avid fiddler, who always took his "axe" on Hawaiian vacations. During my folks' twice-annual month-long visits (they had a modest time-share condo on Kauai for 20+ years) he fell in as a regular with a group of local musicians. They played in public, probably near the Safeway in Kapaa, and regularly collected tips in the slack key guitarist's case. Mom scolded him for accepting his share as a visiting haole, even though the players felt their de facto "local" buddy deserved his cut.

Several parishioners from the neighborhood church attended Pop's memorial service, and one of the musicians (I think a shave-ice guy by trade) was the first to place a handful of my dad's ashes in the ground.

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-11-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
https://www.slackkeyshow.com/
Old 10-11-2021, 12:29 PM

On Kauai there is the slack key show at https://hawaiianslackkeyguitar.com/concerts on the North side. But they've been closed since COVID but might be open soon.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Volcano National Park. Big Island must-see.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Volcano National Park. Big Island must-see.
Coolness! That's kind of a bucket list idea already. And I have a permanent National Parks pass.

What else is cool on the big island?

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-12-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

I hear the drive to Hana is amazing.

sm
Old 10-11-2021, 05:42 PM

I’ve had the privilege to visit Hawaii 6-7 times, each island offers great experiences to explore and enjoy culture, nature, food, entertainment. You cannot miss, really, unless you try to do too much (my opinion only). My best experiences there were due to locals who were friends and colleagues willing to host and take us to places tourists wouldn’t know of or find themselves.

Looks like you may have that opportunity with your Dad’s contacts/friends. I’d go there for the advice you seek. Wouldn’t be surprised if they offer to join you and lead your journey.

Last edited by JonWer; 10-11-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:34 PM

I would also endorse a visit to Volcanoes National Park. Amazing. And while on that island, renting kayaks and paddling across the bay to Captain Cook monument (and snorkeling in the ocean below the monument) is pretty special.

Many years ago while on Kauai, my wife and I tried hiking Waimea Canyon…but the intensity of the sun ended our hike after about an hour. But I liked the canyon. And, of course, hiking the Na Pali coast is special, though pretty demanding.

When I visited Molokai in the mid-80’s, you could ride mules to the leper colony and then take a guided tour. I don’t think either is offered anymore, and there aren’t many beaches (and no “good” beaches) on Molokai, so I would probably steer you away from Molokai.

Maui is very nice, but it has been degraded by too many tourists. I loved it when I first visited there in 1982, and continued to enjoy being there until around 2005. But I am not sure I would recommend it now. But if you go, sunrise from the top of Haleakala is pretty neat, and it is one of the few places in Hawaii where O have actually felt cold for a while.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:30 PM

If you are into hiking as I have been, Kauai's Napali Coast still rates among my "top 5 favorites", anywhere, anytime. And I have hiked thousands of miles, in 30 states and a few countries.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Another note on Volcano NP - when I went, we only allowed for one day. It was not enough time and I regretted not getting to see more of it. If you do go to the big Island, it might be worthwhile looking into the current status of the eruption(s?). If there are locations where you can see the lava going into the ocean, or other magma-related phenomena, that could be pretty interesting.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

There's always a helicopter tour around Kauai... I'm particularly fond of Waimea Canyon, as well as Kalalau Valley. Since you only have a couple days, doing the 'copter tour may be a fun way to go! (Unless you and the missus are big on physical activities... hiking to Kalalau is quite a trek! You could hike down into and around Waimea Canyon, just going as far as you want...)
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-12-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
If you are into hiking as I have been, Kauai's Napali Coast still rates among my "top 5 favorites", anywhere, anytime. And I have hiked thousands of miles, in 30 states and a few countries.
++++ on this. I have also hiked thousands of miles, including two months of hiking up to 16,000 feet (no oxygen) in Nepal. The Na Pali is outstanding and also in my top 5. The Sierra Club calls it the most vigorous low altitude hike in the world. I agree.

There used to be fabulous slack-key in Hanalei, at various restaurants. Hopefully you will find some. My first visit in 1982 changed how I use alternative tunings. There was a compilation CD of various artists (Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters Instrumental Collection) that - thank you thank you thank you!!! - had the tunings described for each song. An eye (ear?)-opener.

It sounds like you have contact with locals. They will be a deep source of ideas. Volcano National is absolutely worth it.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

The best dinner I've ever had in my life was at Mama's Fish House on Maui.

It was worth the 68 (or whatever, seemed like it...) hour flight to get there.

Not to be missed while in the islands. Need to make reservations 3-4 weeks in advance.

And don't forget your Visa card. In addition to being the best, it was the most expensive. But worth every penny.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic