The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-01-2021, 02:13 PM

There's a guy I've known casually for a considerable number of years now, who has bounced from job to job since I've known him...

Most of the jobs paid ok and a few paid really well...I asked him once why he had just quit another job, and he said it was because it wasn't any "fun"...

I told him that's why it's called going to "work" and not going to "fun"...

All I know is, I've been comfortably retired since I was 55 (72 now) and to my knowledge he never did settle into a "fun" job...financial security seems to have also eluded him...

Last edited by Denny B; 10-01-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Musical minimalist

Think hard about what you are passionate about, and see if there's a way to turn that into something you can make a living on.

Worked for me

Old 10-01-2021, 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I do love what I do, but I don’t like my current job. I have an interview tomorrow so I’ll see how that goes.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'll take a positive approach... "The people are great" where you work. That's half the battle won. The other half is that you can try to find ways to increase efficiencies and perhaps the boss will listen (or perhaps not).

I would not stay at a job I hated. Do you have an exit plan? Anywhere else you could work?

Sorry to hear about losing your home and bankruptcy.

The boss won’t listen. It’s his way or get out of his way. As for exit plans, I have a few interviews lined up. Two of them are from employers I turned down 3 months ago, and they seem excited I reach out to them. Me getting another job is not a problem. I’m not quite unhireable yet, but my price is a bit higher than the usual 20-something mechanic.

And thanks for the kind words about my hardships. I bounced back from both of them, but every now and then they haunt me when it’s time to make a life-changing decision.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:15 AM

Interview tomorrow morning. It’s from an employer that made me a job offer but I declined 3 months ago. Let’s see how it goes.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Interview tomorrow morning. It’s from an employer that made me a job offer but I declined 3 months ago. Let’s see how it goes.
Wishing you the best!
Old 10-02-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Good luck! Be prepared to answer the question as to why you turned them down the first time - just be sincere. Although I'm sure you already know that .
Old 10-02-2021, 05:58 AM

I've been on both sides. I've been an employee for 13 years (at the same place, I had several other jobs before that one), and now 15 years owning my own business.

They both suck. IF the work isn't something that gratifies you. Both have their pluses and minuses. Owning and running your own business (especially if you're a lone gunman- meaning, I am the only person in my company, I don't have a secretary or anything else. I do it ALL) can be time-consuming and exhausting. Some days I'm glad I work for myself, other days I wish I had the simplicity of making the same drive, at the same time, to the same place, and do the same thing, every day. As I get older, simplicity and routine give a ... "certainty"... to life as is gets more complicated.

I've done both. It really is six of one, half dozen of the other. IF the work itself isn't gratifying you. I'm 52. If I had a way, financially, to close my business and begin recording my music (chasing a dream I gave up when I was about 28), I would. Because that work is the only work that truly gratifies me. Creating music.

If you LIKE the work, that's most of the battle won right there. As far as working for someone else/working for yourself, you won't know until you've done both. I've done both, and at this point in my life, I think I would appreciate much more the certainty and simplicity of showing up, getting paid, and going home. When I worked for someone else, my work day ended at 5pm. Not so now that I work for myself....
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn

Last edited by ruger9; 10-02-2021 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:05 PM

Interview went well, he wanted to hire me on the spot, but for less cash. Seems like good place l, and the employees seemed to be happy to work there. Next interview is on Monday.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I've been on both sides. I've been an employee for 13 years (at the same place, I had several other jobs before that one), and now 15 years owning my own business.

They both suck. IF the work isn't something that gratifies you. Both have their pluses and minuses. Owning and running your own business (especially if you're a lone gunman- meaning, I am the only person in my company, I don't have a secretary or anything else. I do it ALL) can be time-consuming and exhausting. Some days I'm glad I work for myself, other days I wish I had the simplicity of making the same drive, at the same time, to the same place, and do the same thing, every day. As I get older, simplicity and routine give a ... "certainty"... to life as is gets more complicated.

I've done both. It really is six of one, half dozen of the other. IF the work itself isn't gratifying you. I'm 52. If I had a way, financially, to close my business and begin recording my music (chasing a dream I gave up when I was about 28), I would. Because that work is the only work that truly gratifies me. Creating music.

If you LIKE the work, that's most of the battle won right there. As far as working for someone else/working for yourself, you won't know until you've done both. I've done both, and at this point in my life, I think I would appreciate much more the certainty and simplicity of showing up, getting paid, and going home. When I worked for someone else, my work day ended at 5pm. Not so now that I work for myself....

I love what I do. Just leave me with my toolbox and a truck to work on and I’m happy. I also understand that having a business is not a Monday to Friday 9-5pm job. It’s a seven day a week, 12+ hours a day. Most business owners I know live for their business, and they wouldn’t have it any other way.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I love what I do. Just leave me with my toolbox and a truck to work on and I’m happy. I also understand that having a business is not a Monday to Friday 9-5pm job. It’s a seven day a week, 12+ hours a day. Most business owners I know live for their business, and they wouldn’t have it any other way.
That's one thing about owning your business, it's a lot of hours, especially if you're also doing the basic bookkeeping.

Good luck with the next interview!
Old 10-02-2021, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

You're never going to get away from working with others. Even if you own your business you are going to work for your customers. Poor people skills and the inability to work with people usually reflects itself in poor customer service and we all know how that goes.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-03-2021, 05:24 AM

I hear ya. I feel the same way about my Job (I'm in IT)

The company I worked for outsourced all of us to a company in India

I've got over 40 years in IT work, and I've never seen anything like this.

It's not a bad company and I like the ppl I work with and I work from home.

But the transition was poorly done, and it created a lot of chaos for those who took the transition instead of the severance where most of the talent pool did take it and are no longer around. Just the mess they left behind is all that remains.

I have one more year maybe year and half before I can hang it up (retire)

I'm trying to ride it out, but every day is another new train wreck and some of the program managers they have working with us, are quite frankly clueless clowns.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:15 AM

I had a coworker who was above average, but she does not like or get along with other women. I can't speak for other fields, but healthcare is usually at least 60% women, give or take in certain areas. Long story short, she doesn't play well with others.

My brother plays ok with others, but is always super stressed with his job. He works for a small company and every day is the worst. This dates back to when he worked at a grocery store and couldn't handle the stress back then.

Gotta work on yourself and decide goals. I've known more than few people who change jobs almost constantly and the same things keep following them to the next job.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:19 AM

I've never been nor wanted to be self-employed. The people I know who are never take vacation and work 18 hour days. They're totally responsible for their own salary, health insurance and retirement.

I'm thrilled to have affordable health insurance, a 401k that my company matches and a state pension. I'm very good at my job, but I'd have to be incredibly fantastic and lucky to have the same salary and benefits working for myself.

A couple things I always say - "there's work and there's fun. We have two different words because they're two different things." When work sucks as it does sometimes, I usually say "that's why we call it work, not fun or play."

Second, and more importantly, "people don't quit jobs. They quit their boss."

Most of us not only change jobs, we change careers a few times. I left the USN in my 20's to become an engineer. After a few different engineering jobs, I became a senior reactor operator at a power plant in my 40's. Best career move ever for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic