The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-30-2021, 11:39 PM

Default I hate my job…or maybe I hate working for others?

I think nothing’s worse than waking up every morning, and hating the fact it’s time to get ready to go to your job. I just started a new job nearly three months ago, and I’m struggling with the fact that I don’t enjoy working here that much. Yes I get paid well, The problem is that the way things are done here don’t align too well with my own standards. The people are great, but it’s a place where the culture is “get it done”. They talk about working safe, but it’s not practiced. And the resources are scarce, the owner is the biggest penny pincher I’ve ever met, I’m not allowed to buy a box of bolts unless I’ve looked around the whole place and didn’t find any. And it’s not like it’s an organized shop either. There’s stuff everywhere. Junk everywhere, I’m expected to do quality repairs on junk with duct tape and bubble gum.

This is my second job in three years. I think my problem is that I’m just tired of working for someone else. Being in my mid 40’s, I say I have maybe 20 years of physical work left in me. I’ve been wanting to start my own business for many years now, but like any aspiring business owner, I’m scared to fail. And I’ve had my share of fails recently. In 2009 I lost my home, and two years ago I had to file for bankruptcy because of some bad investments. It’s actually making me feel a bit depressed. Not even guitar playing is filling that void.

So I went on the job market again. I have three interviews lined up, two of them were previous job offers I turned down. I should be very excited, but I feel I’m just kicking the can down the road. To securely provide to my family with a steady job, or follow a dream.

Sorry guys, just venting. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-01-2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:49 AM

I don't have any advice but best of luck to your future endeavors.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 10-01-2021, 08:48 AM

I went and not business for myself when I was in my mid-40’s. I think there is something about that time of life (whether a full blown “mid-life crisis”, or a more modest feeling of restlessness/wanting something different) that tends to press on folks….especially men in this culture.

I don’t know what is the right direction for you. Just want to let you know that you are not the only person that has felt this way.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:53 AM

As said by others, I don't know you or your situation so can't advise in that regard.

I will tell you I quit my job because of my boss at the age of 50. I had an idea of starting my own business and thought it would work. I was scared to walk away without anything in place, but I got support from my SO, she was behind me and gave me the courage to do it.

Best decision I ever made, business took off, worked for myself and was able to retire in 12 years due to how well it did.

So for me, although very scary and a leap of faith, it worked.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

The first twenty years after college I was able to work under a few of extraordinary managers and several middling to poor ones. In May of 1980 I attended a Tony Robbins seminar (Unleash the Power Within). Within six weeks I had started my own business. I rapidly discovered that the freedom to make my own decisions and be totally responsible for the outcomes had granted me a sense of independence that I had been craving for years.

Over the following years I owned a specialty retail store, an event management business, and a real estate rehab business, and thoroughly enjoyed each endeavor.

I eventually sold one of the businesses to my long-time manager. Months later I asked him, "A few months ago a stranger would walk in here and say "Is the owner here?"

You would reply, "No, I am the manager. What can I do for you?".

Now you say, "I am the owner. What can I do for you?"

"Have you noticed any difference when you say that you are the owner?"

His response to me was, "It is night and day. I never want to go back to being a manager again."

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 10-01-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I understand, at least a little, what you are going through. I went through something similar at your age. I wish you the best.

- Glenn
Old 10-01-2021, 09:23 AM

I went through the opposite situation. After working from the age of 14 for various bosses and putting myself through school to earn degrees I decided I didn't want to work for anyone else. So I started my own business. I definitely made money at that time (though it seems chasing the cash is what brought you...and I....misery in your working life) but I realized something that's often missing in the thought process of people who have an employer. When you work for yourself it's not like you have no boss. It's more like you have a hundred or more (depending upon the size of your customer base) and each has their own agenda. If you're doing the job right you're trying to make all these people happy vs just one official boss if you're simply employed by someone else. Don't make 'em happy? Lose the customer and the revenue - and potentially others as people chat about negatives more than the positives. At the age of 40ish I went back to a regular paycheck but in a totally different field. I work with great people, it's far less stressful on so many levels and it's nice to know a check will come when it's promised (even if less than I was used to). Just something to keep in mind and keep your eyes open when making a big change like that. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 10-01-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
....I’m struggling with the fact that I don’t enjoy working here that much. Yes I get paid well....
That's why they call it "a job." I suspect it is a pretty small percentage of people who really love their job and get up in the morning and cannot wait to get in to work. Most often I never liked my jobs, but since I needed to make money, I figured I might as well enjoy it (more or less) rather than drag into work and be in a funk all day long. You ought to try it. At least you get paid well -- I always figured I was underpaid......

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-01-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I was in a very similar situation. I worked as an airplane mechanic in general aviation for a fixed base operator who sounds just like your boss. Except he didn't pay well. I got a job with the city and quit, although I went back and worked part time for him off and on over the years. The city job had nothing to do with airplanes. I did not particularly like my city job, but I didn't hate it either. I took the good with the bad and I made it to the top of the pile. eventually and was able to retire with a nice pension at age fifty six.

I went back out to the airport part time for a little while and then landed a job with the city's parks and recs. I stayed there until I was sixty five. The parks and recs job was the only job I ever had that I truly looked forward to going to. It was seasonal, but it was fun. It did not pay very well. To me all those years a good job was one that paid the bills, had good benefits, a good retirement plan and I didn't just hate to go to work. I didn't have to like every moment I was there.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-01-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
To securely provide to my family with a steady job, or follow a dream.
Just my opinion but, when you've got the responsibility of a family to provide for, you can't really indulge yourself in the pursuit of dreams...
Old 10-01-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Just a couple of thoughts.

Of the people I have known that own their own business not one has been able to retire. Not in a true or full sense anyway.

You are entering the age where you are becoming unhireable. The times are good right now but chose wisely.

Pay attention to retirement benefits with any change. At your age you'll turn around twice and be looking to retire.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-01-2021, 11:26 AM

As a single woman, I found myself unemployed from a major corporation at 37. I decided I needed a job with a pension so, I went to college, landed a federal government job and now at the end of this month, I'm retiring at age 67 with 30 years service as a GS-12. I'm getting out at a good time with all the changes coming. My house is paid for, as are all my guitars (lol) and with my social security and pension, I'll be able to support myself and my fur babies (hopefully). I liked my job most of the time and I bit my tongue the rest of the time.

Everyone has to evaluate what they can deal with in life. Working for "the man" can be challenging. You just have to try to look through the magic ball and assess your options.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Just my opinion but, when you've got the responsibility of a family to provide for, you can't really indulge yourself in the pursuit of dreams...
What a depressing thought. So you're saying it's better to be miserable (and in turn make those around you miserable) rather than taking the chance your loved ones would have a setback if the rewards don't follow? That's just sad because, well, what if they DO materialize?
Old 10-01-2021, 01:17 PM

I'll take a positive approach... "The people are great" where you work. That's half the battle won. The other half is that you can try to find ways to increase efficiencies and perhaps the boss will listen (or perhaps not).

I would not stay at a job I hated. Do you have an exit plan? Anywhere else you could work?

Sorry to hear about losing your home and bankruptcy.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

"To securely provide to my family with a steady job, or follow a dream."

Maybe you can securely provide to your family by following the dream. Only
you can make the call... I wish the best for you ...

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic