The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-21-2021, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
Thanks Shuffkebeat, yes I guess I'll hear how my little crap room sounds. I'll be back for your all help to deal with that when the time comes. [emoji57], although I have some ideas.

Cool Chipotle you did it again. I didn't know recording in camera provides separate audio and video that I can get to.
Gonna check out reaper for sure.

Man the more I talk to you the easier this gets. [emoji1787]
Well lets back up a bit to some basic Audio and Video recording factors

#1 as far as I know ( I could be wrong ) , very few consumer video Cameras record or export separate Audio and Video files (which is why people have been recommending Video editing software that can facilitate separating the audio portion of the combined audio/video file most cameras are going to produce)

Now I am assuming ( and perhaps he can clarify) but I think when Chipotle said "record Audio and Video separately" in his last post he was talking about recording the video with a camera (that records a combined audio /video file ) and also record using a mic that records Audio only. Then importing them both into either a Video editing program with some audio editing capability ,,,or a DAW with some Video editing capability.

#2 Understand that if you use a combined Audio/video file while it may be quick easy and simple.... BUT you will have extremely limited,,,,, to no ability,,,,, to mix, edit, or correct, anything in the Audio, past simply raising or lowering the volume ..

Now that well may very work fine to get started.... But that will not do much to give you the experience to begin to develop expertise/knowledge in audio recording and mixing for optimum sound in your video's...... Which I assume and IMO is the End Goal in doing music videos in the first place ...

However it is true that there is a steep learning curve in both full featured DAWs and full featured Video Editing,,, Software ,,,,, unfortunately there is no quick or simple solution to getting professional like results with either

#3. Also be aware that recording in any smaller untreated room is more often then not, likely to produce unwanted reflections that can muddy the sound..... BUT you may not be able to readily hear that mud as mud ........... Often it manifests itself as simply making your recordings sound less present , flatter, 2 D-ish with less 3D depth to the sound(less sense of being right there in the room with the performer,,,,, and more like being in a different room than the performer, with the doors open )....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-21-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
Man the more I talk to you the easier this gets. [emoji1787]
Hold on to that thought.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Now I am assuming ( and perhaps he can clarify) but I think when Chipotle said "record Audio and Video separately" in his last post he was talking about recording the video with a camera (that records a combined audio /video file ) and also record using a mic that records Audio only. Then importing them both into either a Video editing program with some audio editing capability ,,,or a DAW with some Video editing capability.
Yes, that's what I meant. You record video with one system (phone, webcam, etc.) but won't use any audio that gets incidentally recorded with that system (except maybe to sync); then you use another system (mics and interface/computer or standalone Zoom or something) to capture the audio. Then you combine them later with video editing software.

Quote:
#2 Understand that if you use a combined Audio/video file while it may be quick easy and simple.... BUT you will have extremely limited,,,,, to no ability,,,,, to mix, edit, or correct, anything in the Audio, past simply raising or lowering the volume ..
I wanted to point out that that may not be true. I you use the combined audio/video file (like fwellers using Windows Cam with a USB mic), once you put it into an video editing program you may have quite a bit more control over the audio track than you think.

In Reaper, for example, your embedded audio in a video shows up on its own track. You can add EQ, reverb or other effects to it just like any other audio track. Something like Premiere Pro has EQ and a few other effects for audio tracks. So you do still have some flexibility. That said...

Quote:
Now that well may very work fine to get started.... But that will not do much to give you the experience to begin to develop expertise/knowledge in audio recording and mixing for optimum sound in your video's......
This is true. If you want more than simple "hit record and that's that", it would behoove you go down the rabbit hole the "right" way. More complicated, but better results in the long run.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD