The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-17-2021, 07:14 AM

Default Need basic help

Hello,
I'm afraid I don't really understand the basics of recording music. Most threads I've seen tend to assume a knowledge which is above what I have.

I'm nearing the point where I want to record my guitar playing for posting on a forum for a group I subscribe to and am at a bit of a loss.

So I have a webcam that I attach to my pc via usb. The video is good enough for me. I record it using the built in Windows 10 Camera app.
But the sound being recorded through the webcam's mic is terrible. It makes the guitar sound tinny and buzzy.
So I am thinking I need a better mic, and one that I can sit on my desk in front of me where I play, which is actually pretty much at the same level as the guitar sound hole.

Aside from what inexpensive yet decent mic to purchase, I don't know how I would plug the mic in, and mix the video from the webcam ( but not the mic from the webcam ) , with the sound from the new mic.

Do I have to buy a piece of hardware, a mixer or something to get the new mic input into my pc or can I plug the new mic directly into a usb port in the pc ?

How would I separate out the webcam mic recording away from the new mic sound input ?

How would I mix the new mic input to the webcam video ?

Is this all through some software I would need to buy ?

Sorry for so basic, but I really just am missing some basic understanding of how this all ties together.

Appreciate any "simple" advice in advance. :-)

Thanks,
floyd
Breedlove Oregon Concertina Sitka/Myrtlewood
Old 09-17-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
Hello,
I'm afraid I don't really understand the basics of recording music. Most threads I've seen tend to assume a knowledge which is above what I have.

I'm nearing the point where I want to record my guitar playing for posting on a forum for a group I subscribe to and am at a bit of a loss.

So I have a webcam that I attach to my pc via usb. The video is good enough for me. I record it using the built in Windows 10 Camera app.
But the sound being recorded through the webcam's mic is terrible. It makes the guitar sound tinny and buzzy.
So I am thinking I need a better mic, and one that I can sit on my desk in front of me where I play, which is actually pretty much at the same level as the guitar sound hole.

Aside from what inexpensive yet decent mic to purchase, I don't know how I would plug the mic in, and mix the video from the webcam ( but not the mic from the webcam ) , with the sound from the new mic.

Do I have to buy a piece of hardware, a mixer or something to get the new mic input into my pc or can I plug the new mic directly into a usb port in the pc ?

How would I separate out the webcam mic recording away from the new mic sound input ?

How would I mix the new mic input to the webcam video ?

Is this all through some software I would need to buy ?

Sorry for so basic, but I really just am missing some basic understanding of how this all ties together.

Appreciate any "simple" advice in advance. :-)

Thanks,
floyd
OK you are using a PC ? (I use Mac) but the basics are the same
So the least expensive way to just get your feet wet and start recording music videos on computer is to get a USB mic

#1 yes you can get a USB powered mic (that will sound better than the computer mic) that can sit on a desk top and you can plug directly into a USB port on your computer.. .

So that will get the sound into the computer BUT you do need some kind video editing software that will allow you import an audio file as well as the video file ( and most video editing software will allow you to mute or delete the audio from the video file, and just use the audio file from the outboard mic.

Me if I were on a PC and I was fairly serious about learning about video and wanted to just start and stay with one video editing software ,,,,, I would start with the DaVinci Resolve free version, which I understand also has a fairly good audio editing feature I believe is called Fairlight

Also note in general it is not advisable to point the mic directly at the sound hole but usually is pointed either just in front or just behind the sound hole

Both recording audio and video are fairly steep learning curves, but there are a bunch of Youtube videos on DaVinci Resolve and On recording audio as well ... good luck

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-17-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

So that will get the sound into the computer BUT you do need some kind video editing software that will allow you import an audio file

If I were on a PC I would start with the DaVinci Resolve free version
Thanks KevWind. I appreciate you're response.
So based on what you said above, I am taking it that I would import the sound file from a mic recording into the software and also import the video taken from the Webcam into the software and then the software will allow me to sync and mix them together into one playable output file like mp4 or something. Is that correct?

That would leave me with this question.
The Webcam recording file contains video and audio together in one file (I think it's avi.)
Would I be able to cut the audio from that and tell the software to only mix the audio from the new mic input with the video from the Webcam?

Thanks,
Floyd
Old 09-17-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
The Webcam recording file contains video and audio together in one file (I think it's avi.)
Would I be able to cut the audio from that and tell the software to only mix the audio from the new mic input with the video from the Webcam?

Thanks,
Floyd
Yes, the video software (I use Vegas/Movie Studio) splits the imported AVI file into separate video and audio tracks.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-17-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Yes, the video software (I use Vegas/Movie Studio) splits the imported AVI file into separate video and audio tracks.
OK cool thanks!
This is beginning to make sense now. [emoji57][emoji106]
Old 09-17-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
First, you don't want to point a mic at your guitar's soundhole. The result will almost always be boomy. You'll have to play around with the mic position to figure out where it sounds best. I'd suggest pointing it at the place where the neck meets the body and try it around that area first. If not there, try to lower bout past the soundhole. Also, you'll want the mic near the edge of your desk to avoid sound reflecting off your desktop and hitting the mic.

Getting a USB mic to work on a PC is pretty easy. Plug in the USB mic and give Windows a minute to recognize it. Type "Settings" in the box in the lower left corner of your browser window. Select "Sound" from the list on the left of the box that pops up. In the Input section, use the pulldown menu to select your mic. That's it. You're done.

Quote:
So that will get the sound into the computer BUT you do need some kind video editing software that will allow you import an audio file as well as the video file ( and most video editing software will allow you to mute or delete the audio from the video file, and just use the audio file from the outboard mic.
What Kevin said is correct if you want to do any serious editing. But if you're just looking to record for posterity's sake and you can get the tune down in a full take, you probably don't need the additional software if you can record using the built in Windows 10 Camera app (I'm not familiar with that software so I'm going by what you said in your original post). However, if you find you can't play through a piece correctly or if you find you cannot get the quality of sound you want, the regulars in this subforum, myself included, can make recommendations. It really comes down to your expectations and budget.

This picture is mostly in jest... but only mostly.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-17-2021, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks KevWind. I appreciate you're response.
So based on what you said above, I am taking it that I would import the sound file from a mic recording into the software and also import the video taken from the Webcam into the software and then the software will allow me to sync and mix them together into one playable output file like mp4 or something. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Floyd
Let me first offer this disclaimer I do not use Windows or DaVinci Resolve

But yes most good video editing software displays the video file with the video fames on top and the audio waveform portion below , and you can separate them and mute or delete the audio portion of the video file .

Now depending on the specific video editing software some of them can auto sync a video file and an auto file then you just mute or delete the audio portion of the video file and you are good to go
But if the video software does not auto sync then before you delete the audio from the video file, you can manually align the waveforms on both files. then mute or delete the audio from the video file

Now the only thing is I am not certain if DaVinci free for example works with AVI video format you may have to convert the video file to MP4 first before importing into Resolve

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 09-17-2021, 09:10 AM

Thanks Jim1960.
So if I select the table mic from the windows control panel, I guess both mics will record the guitar, the webcam mic and the table mic.
And I would be able to choose in post, which input to sync/mix with the video.

This is sounding pretty straight forward, at least at this basic level. I guess most software with a free version would have enough functionality in their free version to do all the above, plus adjust the sound basics.

If all that is correct then all I need is to choose a freebie version of software and an inexpensive but passable table mic.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 09-17-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Let me first offer this disclaimer I do not use Windows or DaVinci Resolve

But yes most good video editing software displays the video file with the video fames on top and the audio waveform portion below , and you can separate them and mute or delete the audio portion of the video file .

Now depending on the specific video editing software some of them can auto sync a video file and an auto file then you just mute or delete the audio portion of the video file and you are good to go
But if the video software does not auto sync then before you delete the audio from the video file, you can manually align the waveforms on both files. then mute or delete the audio from the video file

Now the only thing is I am not certain if DaVinci free for example works with AVI video format you may have to convert the video file to MP4 first before importing into Resolve
Thank you again KevWind.
OK. Yea that sounds doable. I think i remember a post here somewhere about starting your video with a clap so that there is an easy place to line up the sound with the video to get them in sync.

I feel I may have enough input to at least start researching simple software and a mic.

What a great forum and bunch of kind helpful people. [emoji16][emoji106][emoji3577].
Old 09-17-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you again KevWind.
OK. Yea that sounds doable. I think i remember a post here somewhere about starting your video with a clap so that there is an easy place to line up the sound with the video to get them in sync.

I feel I may have enough input to at least start researching simple software and a mic.

What a great forum and bunch of kind helpful people. [emoji16][emoji106][emoji3577].
Yes a clap or I simply tap my guitar with my pic or finger Remember the old movies with the guy with the black and white "clapper" and the director would say "and action"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 09-17-2021, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim1960.
So if I select the table mic from the windows control panel, I guess both mics will record the guitar, the webcam mic and the table mic.
And I would be able to choose in post, which input to sync/mix with the video.

This is sounding pretty straight forward, at least at this basic level. I guess most software with a free version would have enough functionality in their free version to do all the above, plus adjust the sound basics.

If all that is correct then all I need is to choose a freebie version of software and an inexpensive but passable table mic.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
I may be misunderstanding something. Is your webcam something that is separate from your computer or is it built into your computer. If it's the latter, when you select the USB mic I would think the webcam mic should be disabled. Windows only allows you to select one input to use at a time.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-17-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yes a clap or I simply tap my guitar with my pic or finger Remember the old movies with the guy with the black and white "clapper" and the director would say "and action"
I've never made that connection until you just mentioned it. Haha.
Simple things. [emoji57]
Old 09-17-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I may be misunderstanding something. Is your webcam something that is separate from your computer or is it built into your computer. If it's the latter, when you select the USB mic I would think the webcam mic should be disabled. Windows only allows you to select one input to use at a time.
It's a separate Webcam device that's plugged into a USB port.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
It's a separate Webcam device that's plugged into a USB port.
Does it have a place where you can plug in a separate mic?

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 09-17-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Does it have a place where you can plug in a separate mic?
Yes. There's a standard Mike jack, I believe it's on the sound card.
I didn't mention this before, this is a standard HP desktop running Windows 10.

Thanks,
Floyd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD