The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-19-2021, 11:45 AM

Default NeckUp on a Sable?

Wondering if anyone has tried a NeckUp (or similar with suction cups) on a Sable? Curious if the texture of the sides precludes using suction cups.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:41 PM

Even though I don’t own the Sable- I’m guessing that the NeckUp won’t work.

When I did the refinish on my Journey I took it from full gloss down to matte. The suction cups on the NeckUp did not work as the cups kept falling off the guitar. The soulution was a Sagework- a little more expensive but I really love it. Just feels more solid enabling me to focus on my playing .

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-20-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I'll be frank that I didn't know what a Neckup was, but in looking at diagrams, here is what I'll say - those grippy back and sides, although admittedly not as pretty as the back of an Emerald or a nice wood guitar, are very grippy, and once you set the position you want with the Sable, it doesn't move, and it provides a wonderfully stable playing platform. I play in a pseudo classical position on my right thigh, and it is the most comfortable playing guitar I've ever played in this regard.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:30 PM

The answer is no, even with the little sticker thing they provide to help out. That said, the Sable is so stable I was mostly trying just out of curiosity.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

My advice, as the owner of two Sables, is too use the strap that came with the Sable (does McPherson still provide that?). It is comfortable and it rolls up nicely to fit right in the case so it is always ready to go.

A strap allows you to position the guitar exactly as you want it, whether sitting or standing. It isn't a contraption that can pop off and the Sable already comes with the necessary strap buttons installed from the factory.

Tony
Old 08-20-2021, 06:57 AM

I appreciate the replies and once it arrives I will see how the Sable's textured sides work for me without anything else. I'll then try a strap, even though I never use one as someone who is always sitting when playing. If that doesn't cut it, then Sageworks will be on the table.

Can always count on this forum for valuable thoughts and ideas!
Old 08-20-2021, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I appreciate the replies and once it arrives I will see how the Sable's textured sides work for me without anything else. I'll then try a strap, even though I never use one as someone who is always sitting when playing. If that doesn't cut it, then Sageworks will be on the table.

Can always count on this forum for valuable thoughts and ideas!
Please let us know how it goes!
Old 08-21-2021, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Even though I don’t own the Sable- I’m guessing that the NeckUp won’t work.

When I did the refinish on my Journey I took it from full gloss down to matte. The suction cups on the NeckUp did not work as the cups kept falling off the guitar. The soulution was a Sagework- a little more expensive but I really love it. Just feels more solid enabling me to focus on my playing .
My Rainsong has a matte finish and the Neckup suction cups work on it, strange it does not work on your Journey. That said, the Sagework looks interesting, I am going to try it. Thanks for the heads up on it.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-21-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
My Rainsong has a matte finish and the Neckup suction cups work on it, strange it does not work on your Journey. That said, the Sagework looks interesting, I am going to try it. Thanks for the heads up on it.

I’m not sure either. The NeckUp worked great on my full gloss RainSong but that was an OM. The Journey is super small and so I do like the Sagework a lot better. For my playing, the Sagework not only gives height adjustability, but forward and back tilt as well. Since the guitar is better suspended now, I have better posture, wrist angles, and more of a classical position. Not sure how well Sagework would work for larger guitars or with Emerald’s non-symmetrical bottom side.

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-21-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:20 PM

I tried a strap with the Sable but the guitar is heavy enough that it wasn't comfortable. Have now ordered a Sagework Umbra and hopefully it will arrive next week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber