The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-29-2021, 09:56 AM

This thread reminds me how much I love my Touring and wish they made a 12 string.... Now GASing for the NEW Emerald x7-12... Have owned the little Amicus but was wishing for a full-scaled smaller 12string ... here we go again... !!!
Old 08-29-2021, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I am a fan of the Taylor Grand Concert size guitars. In fact, it was "a CF guitar built to the dimensions of an x12 Taylor" that led me to my first carbon fiber guitar: a RainSong Shorty. Now, to be fair, the neck on that Shorty (NS) is nowhere near as comfortable to me as my Taylor 522ce 12-fret, but the rest of that guitar does feel quite similar. I sold that Shorty because it got no playing time after getting a couple Emeralds, mostly due to the neck.

I moved on from RainSong because of the chunky neck, so I am not familiar with what took the Shorty's place in their line, but the OM body with the NS 12-fret neck would give you that Taylor Grand Concert... if you can live with the neck (which, again, is certainly not Taylor-like).

All that said, if you think a Taylor Grand Concert is comfortable, wrap yourself around an Emerald some time.
Thanks. I hope to try an Emerald again someday. My experience is limited to a very, very early (back when the original CA Guitars were THE thing in the CF world) X7 and X10, neither of which impressed me. However, I am convinced that the newer Emeralds are a vast improvement over those early models.

I am a bit concerned about some of the discussion regarding wolf tones and a few other issues with Emerald guitars. McPherson seems to have manufacturing down to the most minute detail and I have not heard of any such reports. My other concern about Emerald is that when I try one, I may develop a serious case of GAS. I am currently very satisfied with my collection, so that would "upset the apple cart" a bit.

As for Rainsong, I think they make fine guitars, but I could never get used to that neck so I never GASsed for one.

Tony
Old 08-29-2021, 10:28 AM

I loved my RainSong and sometimes find missing certain aspects about it. I also got into CF through a Shorty. It was loud, clear, comfortable and punchy- just like a good OM should be. However, what lured me even more is the 000 scale based off of Martin designs. That is where I first discovered my preference for shorter scale and why I asked McPherson if they ever would make a "tweener" guitar.

I sure hope that McPherson isn't done extending their CF line but if I had to put money on a prediction I would say that they are as the CF Series is not the bread and butter of the company. Curious though if McPherson is happy with the turnout of their CF Series? Can you imagine the sound if McPherson did a 12 string?
Old 08-29-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Can you imagine the sound if McPherson did a 12 string?
Funny you should ask.... I called about a 12 string CF and they said they had no plans. They have all the orders they can fill with the current lineup :-)

I did play a 12 string version of their wood guitar and it was amazing!!! Just 12k. .... That kind of killed any hopes of owning one .... :-0
Old 08-29-2021, 11:34 AM

Your sentiment is understandable. The tone, the craftsmanship... my Sable is high art completely independent of materials.

I've only owned mine for a couple weeks and just one gig so far, but I'm wholly smitten. Its price was dear as well.

I now have no need for my Martin CEO7 and intend to sell it.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I sure hope that McPherson isn't done extending their CF line but if I had to put money on a prediction I would say that they are as the CF Series is not the bread and butter of the company. Curious though if McPherson is happy with the turnout of their CF Series?
I don't know. They probably won't be selling that many wooden guitars at those prices. The "cheapest" ones are still 9K. At least their CF guitars are affordable.

If McPherson ever makes a CF guitar based on the full size MG model I might be very tempted.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-29-2021, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Some years ago, I owned a McPherson MG model. That was when the wood guitars were much more affordable. Unfortunately, the guitar was too large to be comfortable and I finally sold it.

Then, the Camrielle model was introduced, which is essentially a smaller version of the NG model. At that point, I wasn't going to spend that kind of money again, but certainly wished these had been available earlier.

The Sable is the CF version of the wood Camrielle model, so it was a no-brainer for me. The workmanship on their wood models is flawless with amazing attention to the smallest detail. Their CF models have that same attention to detail at a much lower price point. No wolf tones, bubbles in the finish or any other oddities - just a flawless instrument.

Tony
Old 08-29-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Thanks. I hope to try an Emerald again someday.

Tony
Just sent you a PM, Tony.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-29-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Just sent you a PM, Tony.
Thanks! PM responded to.

Tony
Old 09-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

To the OP - I hear you - In January of this year I played a CF guitar for the first time, and I've been ruined ever since - and I'm in a very small minority of individuals who actually prefer the tone of CF over most wood guitars - for my fingerstyle there is a balance in the wound and unwound strings that I haven't found in 99% of the wood guitars I've played. The Sable is indeed my favorite. But I am old school and I do want to get a wood guitar that can measure up, and I think I'm getting very close - those Larrivee 12 fret dreads are really great.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:06 PM

I get your sentiment, with a Sable being your first acoustic. That’s a heck of a first acoustic, if I must say so.

I’ve owned (and currently own) a lot of guitars. As far as CF goes, I’ve owned Rainsong, Emerald and two McPhersons (one Kevin Michael Sable and one McPherson Sable). Of all the CFs I’ve owned and played, the Sable beats them all. With that said, Emerald and Rainsong are fantastic guitars as well.

I would also agree the Sable would blow the Taylor out of the water (for what I like in an acoustic). I don’t think high end Taylors are even comparable.

I own a wooden McPherson as well. A 5.0XP with Rosewood back and sides and a Redwood top. It’s in the $10k plus range. It’s not $7k better sounding than the Sable. Is it better? Yes. $7k better? No. The Sable is an amazing guitar. It’s the woodiest sounding CF that I’ve played. Would I get rid of my wood guitars for just CF? No. But it’s an incredible tool to have in the arsenal.

I would recommend trying out Collings, Santa Cruz, Goodall, Lowden, etc. I think playing them you’ll see a bigger difference. While Taylor makes a great guitar, I don’t think their high end guitars are really their bread and butter. A $3k Taylor is about the same as a $5k Taylor to me in terms of sound and feel. That’s not the case for a $5k Santa Cruz (if you can even find them for that cheap anymore).

Nevertheless, congrats on a great first acoustic guitar!
Old 09-08-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
I get your sentiment, with a Sable being your first acoustic. ThatÂ’s a heck of a first acoustic, if I must say so.

IÂ’ve owned (and currently own) a lot of guitars. As far as CF goes, IÂ’ve owned Rainsong, Emerald and two McPhersons (one Kevin Michael Sable and one McPherson Sable). Of all the CFs IÂ’ve owned and played, the Sable beats them all. With that said, Emerald and Rainsong are fantastic guitars as well.

I would also agree the Sable would blow the Taylor out of the water (for what I like in an acoustic). I donÂ’t think high end Taylors are even comparable.

I own a wooden McPherson as well. A 5.0XP with Rosewood back and sides and a Redwood top. ItÂ’s in the $10k plus range. ItÂ’s not $7k better sounding than the Sable. Is it better? Yes. $7k better? No. The Sable is an amazing guitar. ItÂ’s the woodiest sounding CF that IÂ’ve played. Would I get rid of my wood guitars for just CF? No. But itÂ’s an incredible tool to have in the arsenal.

I would recommend trying out Collings, Santa Cruz, Goodall, Lowden, etc. I think playing them youÂ’ll see a bigger difference. While Taylor makes a great guitar, I donÂ’t think their high end guitars are really their bread and butter. A $3k Taylor is about the same as a $5k Taylor to me in terms of sound and feel. ThatÂ’s not the case for a $5k Santa Cruz (if you can even find them for that cheap anymore).

Nevertheless, congrats on a great first acoustic guitar!

Thanks for the recommendations...and the insight. WRT the 3k Taylor vs. the 5k....I agree. There were several 3k-range Taylors in the shop that day, and while the more expensive one was aesthetically more pleasing to look at...there was not a lot of difference in the way they played (at least that I could tell...I do not consider myself to be an expert guitar player so admittedly, there could be nuances about each that my fingers just could not feel).

Would love to try an Emerald and some of the other higher end models you mentioned...because I think they are beautiful and would be interested in the differences to what I have become accustomed to. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to choose the Sable as my first / only acoustic. I know it isn't the route most players follow, but I can honestly say without a doubt this guitar has facilitated my growth as a musician.

It seems a shame when we have to justify the cost of a well-made instrument, especially since (in my journey) it was the catalyst for unlocking techniques and tones I know I would have struggled with on a lesser guitar. It inspired and spurred me to practice more, and rewarded that practice with results that made me happy and more confident...and made my wife actually say she was glad I made that choice.

For me, that experience of overcoming the limitations and focusing on expression really kind of sums up what music is all about.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
Thanks for the recommendations...and the insight. WRT the 3k Taylor vs. the 5k....I agree. There were several 3k-range Taylors in the shop that day, and while the more expensive one was aesthetically more pleasing to look at...there was not a lot of difference in the way they played (at least that I could tell...I do not consider myself to be an expert guitar player so admittedly, there could be nuances about each that my fingers just could not feel).

Would love to try an Emerald and some of the other higher end models you mentioned...because I think they are beautiful and would be interested in the differences to what I have become accustomed to. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to choose the Sable as my first / only acoustic. I know it isn't the route most players follow, but I can honestly say without a doubt this guitar has facilitated my growth as a musician.

It seems a shame when we have to justify the cost of a well-made instrument, especially since (in my journey) it was the catalyst for unlocking techniques and tones I know I would have struggled with on a lesser guitar. It inspired and spurred me to practice more, and rewarded that practice with results that made me happy and more confident...and made my wife actually say she was glad I made that choice.

For me, that experience of overcoming the limitations and focusing on expression really kind of sums up what music is all about.

Honestly, I think the absolute best value for an acoustic guitar in the whole market is the McPherson Sable. You can get a used one for around $2500 (or at least the last time I looked). I have not played a better guitar for the money. Larrivee is probably the closest you can get. The Sable is an amazing guitar. I think the pickup system leaves a little too much quack. But man, that guitar is killer.

Emeralds are good guitars, too. They have a different sound though. Not so “woody”, like the Sable. Same for Rainsongs. They’re all fantastic. CFs are so consistent. The Sable is just so warm, which is a criticism I’ve heard of a lot of CF guitars.

I think the high end Taylors are really pretty guitars, but their sound is not massively different than the cheaper ones, especially for the premium. I played with two guys who had Taylors- one with an 800 series and one with a 400. I think they sound exactly the same. The 800 is prettier and feels a little better. But not for the price, to my hands and ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber