The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2018, 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=gfirob;5735780
I bought a used Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G3, for instance, because it had HD 1080 video and had the same lens mount as my main camera, a Panasonic GH4. I think I paid less than $100 for the DMC-G3, but my main reason for buying it was the lens mount. Very good looking video, though.

Rob[/QUOTE]
Through which lens? And why?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 AM

You could also probably pick up a used gh3 pretty inexpensivly. I know the op was looking at youtube vids, but if you want a set it and forget it camera the gh series will record for more than 30 minutes at a time.

I used to put on an open mic and would set up my gh3, later the gh4, with a rode camera mic and just let it run. I also multitracked recorded everything. If something was particularly good or someone asked me, I could mix the song, add in a little of the cam mic for crowd feel, sync up with the video and have a pretty decent video for them.

I know this is a long way off topic from the op, but someone may find it useful for recording their shows.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:03 PM

I use two of the recording devices being discussed here. I too needed something quick and easy to record my band rehearsals/performances with. I wanted something that I didn't have to post-edit, just wanted to upload to YouTube and be done with it. I use both the Zoom Q4n and a GoPro5 for this.

The Zoom has absolutely much better sound recording than the GoPro. Here's a sample of the Zoom, just wall mounted and pointed towards the band:

Zoom Q4n

And now here's a video of the GoPro. You can tell there's less clarity to the tone.
GoPro

Finally, since I have both devices, what I do now is I use both devices. I take an audio signal out from the Zoom, plug that into the GoPro, and get the best of both worlds:
GoPro + Zoom
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 05-25-2018, 03:15 PM

thanks for all that Kyee
it is just a little hard to compare because they are all different sources but it appears the go pro sound is not very good as you said.
curious why the zoom with the go pro seems so fisheye.
was that a choice or a way to capture the whole room?
Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
meanwhile back at the one piece audio video solution....or the nearest thing to....
Hi Robert…

The issue some are trying to point out are single piece video cameras are available, but not of the same quality as a DSLR…well certainly not for $500 or less. And there is still the issue of using an external condenser mic (purchasing one which fits onto/into the camera) and then having to transfer the video into a computer to trim the extra footage from the front and end of the video and then upload it to YouTube.

Honestly, you could shoot in HD (1080p) on a modern smart phone which is sufficient for YouTube, and easily edited using free or inexpensive software on your phone. I've shot decent videos on my iPhones (even a friend's 3 yr old iPhone 5).

If you shoot it on a cell phone, there is phone video editing software (free), and even more sophisticated video shooting apps (inexpensive). And many smart phones will allow you to plug in an inexpensive microphone to the phone to capture better audio into the phone at the same time you shoot the video. What you give-up with a phone is the ability to zoom in/out, which is not essential for good videos.

And when I say inexpensive, there are shotgun condenser microphones in the $35 range which record far superior audio than phone, video camera or DSLR camera internal microphones. Lots of bloggers/vloggers use them on a daily basis, because they are inexpensive and sound decent.

The TAKSTAR SGC-598 Photography Interview Shotgun MIC Microphone for Nikon Canon DSLR Camera is $34 and fits in the hotshoe of a camera, or you can adapt it to a tripod (or duct tape it to a mic stand). I own one and it's surprisingly decent.

There are all sorts of tripod mounts for phones, and mics etc. You sure don't want a friend holding the camera and shooting the video or it will be jumping all over the place (even with image stabilization).

But with some minimal DIY (do-it-yourself) ingenuity, a smart phone and an external mic will do a great job for your needs. If you already own a smart phone you are half-way there.

Just my 2Cents worth…have fun exploring!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-25-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:26 PM

The GoPro does suffer from fisheye in both of the videos I posted. I think there's a way to remove the fisheye in the device setup, but then that'll reduce the capture mode from 4k to 1080p I think.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 05-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyee View Post
The GoPro does suffer from fisheye in both of the videos I posted. I think there's a way to remove the fisheye in the device setup, but then that'll reduce the capture mode from 4k to 1080p I think.
Hi kyee

Yes, it would bump you down to 1080p, and go to the non-distorted perspective. Most videos viewed on YouTube are viewed on 1080p, not 4K. It takes tons of bandwidth to watch/stream/upload video in 4K.

Perhaps 5 years from now that will change, but for now 1080p is an excellent choice for shooting, editing, and posting video to YouTube.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-25-2018, 03:39 PM

The bottom line is Zoom video recorders are excellent for exactly what kyee used his for -- making quick and dirty videos of your "band" (self, duo, etc) which sound good. They're nice, inexpensive tools for seeing where you are and figuring out what you need to do to get better.

There is also nothing really professional looking about the videos they produce. Very useful for reference, not so useful for dazzling anyone you'd like to impress.

Of course not everyone is aiming for dazzling. And I'm not suggesting everyone should.

But if someone wants to avoid the fisheye look, you gotta climb a little further up the ladder and focus on lenses, so to speak. And lights, and mics, and ....
Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
thanks for all that Kyee
it is just a little hard to compare because they are all different sources but it appears the go pro sound is not very good as you said.
curious why the zoom with the go pro seems so fisheye.
was that a choice or a way to capture the whole room?
Hi Robert

GoPro cameras are for sports and action, and are designed to be worn on the body, or bike (car, boosted board etc). They are not intended to be an all purpose camera (GoPro may differ).

I posted a response to kyee about the distortion. If you shoot in HD you can make a more recent GoPro shoot in a less distorted mode. You still have the issue of crappy sound.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Hi Kyle....
I have a couple questions for you about your Q4n...

What do you do for post-production to upload/edit your music videos? It certainly seems like a good all-in-one, nearly point-n-shoot solution well within Robert's budget.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 AM

I saw a video of a guy demoing a TC Helicon Play GTX. He had a digital video camera (brand not mentioned) but it had an aux in (stereo 3.5mm). He took the headphone out of his GTX into the camera aux in. This supplied excellent stereo sound and the video was good quality. I suppose you could do the same with a good mixer with headphone out, rca out or left/right 1 4” to bring everything to the final 3.5mm (1/8”) Stereo.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:57 PM

I just got the Zoom Q2N. I tried using it at an open mic that was during daylight hours and with the stage in front of a big window. It just looked like silhouettes. Then I tried it at a gig with somewhat dim lighting. Definitely great for self improvement, but there was a lot of video noise. About the same as with a cell phone camera, but with better audio.

I have no doubt that it will work well any lighting that would work with a phone camera.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 PM

Default Zoom Q2N test

This was a little test run of my new Zoom Q2N.

I did use a little lens and color correction. I also applied a little active noise reduction to bring the level down of the outdoor air condition unit (It's already hot here in Florida). There's one edit where I forgot the words at the beginning of the second verse.

https://youtu.be/EJFwKKVTipI
Old 06-03-2018, 12:03 PM

thanks for that lkingston
is the fisheye becaue of superwide lense? is there any adjustment available or is that what you get with the q2n?
Old 06-03-2018, 12:08 PM

This thread has focused more so far on what equipment to get than on how to use it. I'd suggest the latter is more important than the former.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification