The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Old Dog New Tricks?

Hello,
In 2010 I had a Gibson J-60 (1996) and a brand spanking new Redline Acoustic guitar (modeled after the J-45). At the same time the owners of the NYC building in which I live decided to change how they produced our steam heat. Was old school oil. New install is natural gas, with a computerized control board & thermostat. From November 2010 through the winter of 2016/2017 the new system operated well outside what might be considered reasonable limits with no evident effort on the part of the landlord to repair.

From day one the temp was a near constant 92 degrees with literally zero humidity. Despite the best efforts of multiple room and case humidifiers, there was no way to defend the integrity of my guitars against the dryness, so sold them both immediately rather than watch them be destroyed.

Replaced them with what I thought was my only alternative. A Harmony and a couple of Kays from the early 60s. Figured they were likely laminated and should be more stable (due to age) in the face of hostile non-humidity. For the most part this has proved to be true. No new discernable damage from exposure to criminally low humidity. However they did come with baggage of their own that needs to be overcome. Neck reset at minimum, and fretwork too no doubt. Had planned to attempt repairs on my (totally inexperienced) own, but time has taken it’s toll on my eyes, hands, and energy level.

Wondering is anyone knows of a Repair Person who specializes in old dogs? Would like to bring at least one of these beaters up to snuff. The Harmony in particular has both a wide nut and the baseball bat neck profile I am so very fond of (both impossible to find in any affordable combination in modern guitar offerings). I fully understand the cost of the repair is the cost of the repair, but am thinking to work with someone who understands that function is a more desirable primary result in this instance than any concern over cosmetics. Would like to spend what time I have left playing guitar rather than trying (at this late juncture) to teach myself how to refurbish one.

Suggestions appreciated. Thank you for your time, consideration & patience. Fare well, dogboy
Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Brooklyn Lutherie. Give Mamie Minch a call. I don't know that they specialize in Kay or old dogs, but the ladies there are quite qualified.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:49 PM

Default Old Dog New Tricks?

You should evaluate the value of the old dogs before investing any money in repairs. I would look into Carbon Fiber guitars. They are not affected by heat, cold or humidity and are available with a number of body and neck designs. Yes the tone is different but not in a bad way, just different. If I’m playing amplified it’s always the Rainsong. Acoustic is always a wood guitar.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 05-18-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Old dog

Try this: Antebellum Guitars, c/o https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/: phone 802-767-4015. He specializes in restoring old string instruments.
Jim
Old 05-20-2018, 08:15 PM

Kays have been laminated forever, but a 1960's Harmony should be solid wood. Heavily ladder braced, but solid.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:17 PM

Hello,
Thank y'all for taking the time to comment. You guidance is appreicated.

JDaniel - Based on their web site Brooklyn Lutherie looks like just the ticket.

BT55 - I've owned an Ovation and have no problem with synthetic materials, but I am just a living room player, never amplified, and love wood!

Fast Jimmy - I follow Antebellum Guitars daily. Last time I read his Repair Page it seemed to indicate that he is backed up for a while, but I will definitely keep him in mind.

John Arnold - You are correct. Have a flattop K-27 and archtop K-37, both laminated. The apple of my eye is a Harmony H-615 from 1963. Solid birch and the most excellent neck profile (for my faulty technique) that I have ever found. Most comfortable guitar I've ever played even if it is a hunk-O-junk.

..again, thank you kindly. Fare well, db

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair