The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Needing help: Great (water friendly) travel guitar needed...

Hello everyone!

I hate to start another thread similar to 99% of those on here, but I face a conundrum and could use help from the wonderful AGF community. I live in an area that has some great music stores, but none of them support CF makers! It appears I would have to drive at least 3 hours which is almost impossible given my work and life schedules right now. I implore you all to provide what guidance you can.

I need a smaller (3/4th) travel guitar that can really survive the tougher life and still sound great. My family and I hike, canoe, boat, and have bonfires frequently and I would love to take my music along. I had a Baby Taylor for many years, but it has finally hit a point of no return (neck warped) thus I am in the market for an upgrade.

There appears to be a handful of key choices, and I would love input from those that own them (especially anyone who had to buy blind!). I already eliminated the entire Rainsong brand, mainly because I don’t like having the electronics immediately visible/accessible to damage. Truthfully, I would love a CF guitar with no electronics given our activities involve lots of water but that doesn’t appear to be an option (Please let me know if I am wrong!).

Among those left, I have narrowed it down to the CA Cargo, Journey OF660, and the McPherson Touring. The OF660 makes me nervous due to the neck and backpack case. The CA Cargo seems good, but I was wondering what made the Touring $1K more than both. I have seen McPherson guitars once and was very impressed (standard, not CF) so didn’t know what differentiated these compared to the Cargo given they seem so similar on paper.

It appears each are loved but this board for different reasons but could really use some guidance.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

The choices you mentioned are all good options. I would also suggest you look into an Emerald X7. If you go with an Opus, it can be purchased without a pickup, and is generally available on short lead time. Emerald only sells direct (from Ireland).

I have an X7, and it is a delightful guitar - good sound and very comfortable (more so than any other acoustic guitar I've played).

The X7 is similar in size to the Cargo, but the X7 has a 24" scale and 1 3/4" nut width compared to the Cargo's 22.75" scale. Both guitars have their fans here.

The McPherson Touring is a nice guitar, also has a 22.75" scale. I find the X7 neck more comfortable, less cramped.

The OF660 has a 24.5" scale - it is a well made guitar, and if you need it to fold down to a backpack size, it has that advantage.

I have had the opportunity to play each, and find I prefer the sound and comfort of the X7. My ranking for these four would be: X7, Touring, Cargo, OF660.

We have lived on our previous boat for up to 6 months at a time - carbon fiber is definitely the way to go. You may buy one for that aspect, and find you like the tone as much as (or better than) wood.

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve owned an ‘08 Cargo since new. It’s the only one of the bunch you’ve listed that I’ve tried. I love it’s size, scale and tone (the latter for a smaller guitar). It has great bass. There is no doubt in my mind that the X7 is also a great smaller guitar, as the McPherson likely is as well, though for travel needs, I wouldn’t personally fork out all that extra cash for the Touring. So, Cargo or X7 would be my choice. I have an X20 arriving in about a week, and although it likely can’t be fairly compared to an X7, it may give me some sense of what an X7 might be like. I ever had a few Chimaera, but that’s a whole nuther animal.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

You can get any of the Rainsong guitars without electronics, just an FYI. And the same for the X7 and Cargo I believe. All fine guitars. I still have an X7 and Cargo, I don't see how you can go wrong with any of those choices. The Cargo has a shorter scale than the X7, but I prefer the tone of the Cargo. Tons of fun. Good Luck.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:14 AM

The vast majority of Rainsongs have no electronics.

For your purpose I would recommend any of:

Rainsong CH-PA
Emerald X-7
Journey RT660
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-14-2018, 06:15 AM

I have a Cargo which I would not describe as sounding "good for its size" but "sounding good, period." It doesn't have the depth of a dread but it fits your needs (very small, very durable, very weather resistant). It is, or at least last I looked, pretty recently, available without electronics (though you can hardly tell the electronics are there, except that it costs a bit more).

I can't speak to the other options...
Old 05-14-2018, 06:23 AM

As mentioned above, all Rainsong guitars are available without electronics, so they should be evaluated as well. If willing to buy used a Blackbird Lucky 13 may also fit your needs, so you might check that as well.
Good luck,
Old 05-14-2018, 08:14 AM

Appreciate all the responses! I didn't realize that Rainsong had non-electronic variants - all the ones on Reverb appeared to have the electronics present. I will need to take a closer look now.

Also, the Emerald X7 appears to be an awesome choice as well – I didn’t realize the brand was direct order only, hence why I was having issues finding information on it. Quick question for owners of that: are the only major differences between the Opus and Artisan aesthetic?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasonlyhuman View Post
The OF660 makes me nervous due to the neck and backpack case.
Huh? The case is fantastic, provides a fair amount of extra space, and is pretty tough. I have an OF420B (Sitka/Pau Ferro) version, and it's proven to be quite useful. Also, I wouldn't worry about the takedown system - the neck joint is quite solid (stainless steel on stainless steel) and over the past seven or eight months I've had mine, I've had zero issues with it. It locks up tight.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:44 AM

If you can, try out a Rainsong CH-PA. Without electronics, it lists for 1299. And you can get it on sale during holidays 15% off from places like musicians friend.
Smallish guitar that might fit your bill.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Lots of good choices. There is a Lucky 13 likely to go on sell soon, but you might be able to save the seller the hassle of posting it if you act soon.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=460494&page=4

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-14-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I hate to start another thread similar to 99% of those on here, but I face a conundrum and could use help from the wonderful AGF community. I live in an area that has some great music stores, but none of them support CF makers! It appears I would have to drive at least 3 hours which is almost impossible given my work and life schedules right now. I implore you all to provide what guidance you can.

I need a smaller (3/4th) travel guitar that can really survive the tougher life and still sound great. My family and I hike, canoe, boat, and have bonfires frequently and I would love to take my music along. I had a Baby Taylor for many years, but it has finally hit a point of no return (neck warped) thus I am in the market for an upgrade.

There appears to be a handful of key choices, and I would love input from those that own them (especially anyone who had to buy blind!). I already eliminated the entire Rainsong brand, mainly because I don’t like having the electronics immediately visible/accessible to damage. Truthfully, I would love a CF guitar with no electronics given our activities involve lots of water but that doesn’t appear to be an option (Please let me know if I am wrong!).

Among those left, I have narrowed it down to the CA Cargo, Journey OF660, and the McPherson Touring. The OF660 makes me nervous due to the neck and backpack case. The CA Cargo seems good, but I was wondering what made the Touring $1K more than both. I have seen McPherson guitars once and was very impressed (standard, not CF) so didn’t know what differentiated these compared to the Cargo given they seem so similar on paper.

It appears each are loved but this board for different reasons but could really use some guidance.
I am very happy with my Journey OF660. I live on a boat full time. Never had a worry about the neck. Very robust locking mechanism and is guaranteed for life per Journey.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Appreciate all the responses! I didn't realize that Rainsong had non-electronic variants - all the ones on Reverb appeared to have the electronics present. I will need to take a closer look now.

Also, the Emerald X7 appears to be an awesome choice as well – I didn’t realize the brand was direct order only, hence why I was having issues finding information on it. Quick question for owners of that: are the only major differences between the Opus and Artisan aesthetic?
The Opus has gloss soundboard and back of neck. The rest is a textured “crystal ice” finish. The Opus is only available in black, has no electronics (though can be ordered as an option), and comes with a gigbag.

The Artisan is all gloss, allows color choices, comes with electronics options, upgraded tuners and hardshell case. Of course, Emerald allows many custom upgrade options with the Artisan (woody top, scale length, neck profile, etc., etc.)

Assuming standard scale and neck profile, essentially they will both play and sound the same.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Appreciate the continued thoughts. I have been researching the Journey OF660 and Rainsong CH PA further after the feedback here. I still don't necessarily like the Journey (can't put a finger on it, but something), but the RS PA seems really promising. I also removed the Cargo and McPherson from my list (Cargo for scale size and McPherson for price). Ever changing list, but I am making progress

A little off topic, but anyone mess with Blackbird's newer line? I think they call it eKoa, didn't know if people had opinions yet. I talked with Ted at LA Guitars and he seemed very impressed.

Again, very appreciative of the help.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the continued thoughts. I have been researching the Journey OF660 and Rainsong CH PA further after the feedback here. .
If you do not need the detachable neck of the OF660, Journey now has the "Roadtrip" RT660 with a non-detachable neck which sells at a slightly lower price point.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber