The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-05-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Record for promo purposes

I need to record myself for some promo. My plan is to have available on my phone or handheld recorder some samples of me singing and playing acoustic guitar. I would use this to get gigs and provide a quick and dirty example of my sound.
The question here is how to do this. Using my phone is one option but the tone from recording is very cheap and thin. I do have a Tascam handheld recorder that I could use. What do you recommend without having to get into computer based recording or anything else that requires brains. Thanks in advance.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Use the Tascam handheld.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-05-2018, 12:37 PM

Any tricks getting good sound using the handheld?
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
turn it on, record, save it. done. if you have a tripod, place it there aiming the mic(s) toward you.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 PM

The Focusrite iTrack Pocket might work:

https://store.focusrite.com/en-gb/pr...SABEgK5AfD_BwE
Old 04-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Why not just do a live audition? When I booked a club in San Diego I didn't book from recordings. Live auditions only. As a booking manager a live audition is the only kind you can trust. Anyone can sound good on a recording thanks to modern technology.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:30 PM

I agree totally with Al. The live audition is the way to go and I have done some of those through the years. They all have landed me the gig. I need a recorded version of what I sound like musically to bring with me to some venues that ask for that only. There is one bar/restaurant I really want to get into that requires a recorded version of myself.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-06-2018, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree totally with Al. The live audition is the way to go and I have done some of those through the years.
A presence online is often the key to getting that audition if not the gig itself. All the gigs we presently play have been gotten by using ReverbNation, YouTube and /or Soundcloud links in emails to the venues. If some of the clubs had then required live auditions we would have played them, but none did.

Toward that end, some knowledge of and facility with recording videos or tracks is in order. On our ReverbNation page we have videos of live performances taken with cell phones and a three minute sampler of various tracks we recorded so the the booking agent can get a sense of who we are and what we do. So far, that's done the trick.

If one is preparing to play gigs, he certainly must have access to a mixer of some sort. Taking a line out of that mixer to the input of whatever recording device he has is usually a simple matter often only requiring an adapter of some sort if not an interface. This is an inexpensive way of getting higher quality sound on to the recording than simply using the device's internal mic.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:51 AM

Things may be different in other areas of the country, but in this area (New England) 'live auditions' don't exist - other than playing at open mics or jams. If the bar/club/restaurant manager is doing the booking (only some places), they are busy 110% of the time. They want a web page they can pull up on their phone and check quickly, so quality of sound is not crucial. What they really want to see is a live video (are there listeners-customers?), how many followers your facebook page has, if you're playing at other local places.
For the places that use a booking agent, the bookers DO want some quality examples of your sound and live performance ability.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-06-2018, 09:01 AM

Thanks so much for these ideas. I have to do some thinking about how to present myself and my music to the public. Good ideas here for me to consider which I plan to do soon.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Why not just do a live audition? When I booked a club in San Diego I didn't book from recordings. Live auditions only. As a booking manager a live audition is the only kind you can trust. Anyone can sound good on a recording thanks to modern technology.
I mix a live-streaming internet radio show. Early on they got burned a few times by booking people on the basis of their recordings. So now they only get booked on the basis of a live show, or clearly unenhanced Youtube footage of same, or the strong recommendation of someone they know they can trust.

If you want to record something, I'd do a simple guy-on-stool video. Same thing as kids applying to music school. It shows the booker exactly what they're getting, and the video aspect takes the curse off the non-studio audio quality.

Couch Standards
Old 04-09-2018, 06:36 PM

I use the "Rode i-XY Lightning" mic for iOS with my iPhone or iPad to record live gigs. I find the recording quality stunning and it is easy to handle even if you are totally non tech. Just stick it on your iPhone and press record. At home send the recordings over Dropbox to your Desktop and you are good to go. Just make sure you put your phone in flight-mode before you record a gig...or incoming messages and calls will destroy your recording...lol. Don't know if there are similar mics available for Android.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi hotrod

I use a Zoom H2n or H4n, mount it on a tripod, and aim it at the neck body joint from 8-12 inches in a quiet room, and hit record. Keep the loudest input levels to around -12 and then boost in post processing if necessary. This assures you of a decent recording without overdriving the peaks.

If it's an extraordinary recording, then I actually plug a studio mic into my Zoom H4n for higher quality, and back off to 12-15 inches.

I edit the audio files in a program which allows for basic adjustments to levels, compression, EQ etc.

If I were you, I'd also upload them to YouTube. Universally available (wherever there is internet or smart phones) and all you have to do is send a link.

Actually, on that topic, I'd probably also film it with my iPhone (and/or cameras) and then edit the video with the separately recorded audio for demos.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Here's how I do it:

1- Online research of gigs where I'd fit in (and be appreciated). Playing the wrong gig is not fun.
2- Email the contact person
3- Include a SHORT description (no more than 3 sentences) and a link to my website.

And what's the most important thing on that website? Videos. Simple videos of playing and singing. Exactly what you'd be hired to do.

That's it. You could probably get by with a Facebook or youtube link, but if you're in if for the long haul, then figure out how to get a website launched.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 PM

What did you do to create your website? Keep it simple please.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD