The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Smile Eastman AC812 just arrived. Looking good.

Just received my Eastman AC812 from Harvest Music out from NH. Thanks Glenn .

I've got to say, I'm really impressed. The cosmetic craftsmanship is very high quality. The top wood is engelmann spruce, however look more like sitka. Sound projects very well and is very boomy. I'm liking the 24.9" short scale. The tone is deep and warm. I'm thinking of dropping a K&K Pure Western Mini in there, thoughts?

It's a discontinued model, I don't see why they would discontinue it though, it plays and looks great to me. What do you guys think?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 AM

What do you guys think?

I think that's a beautiful looking guitar! I own a discontinued Eastman model as well. Can't think of any good reason as to why... but it's their call to make.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Lovely. Congratulations on picking a great instrument. Not only is the build quality excellent, but the sound and playability are superb with Eastman.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Wow! It's a beauty. How's the playability?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Plays great, sounds great too. I think I like it more than my 610ce, but it could just be that I'm showing it more love because its new hehe.

Do you guys think the k&k pure western mini would be a nice pickup?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 AM

yep, Eastmans look great... some time ago i was thinking of buying one too, but auditorium. they look fantastic, they are very "charismatic" guitars for me. i'm sure that sound is also good. have great time with it!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:50 AM

Default Very Nice EASTMAN

I was in Norman Oklahoma this past week and stop in at a place call Norman Music. I had read tons of post here at AFG about Eastman Guitars. I had never held one or played one or even seen a Eastman. They had a Eastman AC812 hanging there, so I picked it up. Which ignited a major Fire and a hugh ball of "GAS" it sucked me in. I tossed my arms, flip flopping on the ground doing everything in my might to shake the GAS off. Needless to say I made it out the music store in one piece, as the smell of fumes begun to leave my clothing. Dripping in sweat as I climb in my car but my hands where empty. At that point I knew I was safe and I had Conquered 'GAS' by the skin of my teeth. All I can say is that AC812 was Drop Dead Gorgeous and Breath Taking at the least. CONGRATS to You and your new baby.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM

i love it.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:40 PM

That really is a good looking guitar. Love the headstock. Congratulations.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

one of my very favorite eastmans - congrats and enjoy
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

deletepost

Last edited by michaelw; 04-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilesDaGuitar View Post
I was in Norman Oklahoma this past week and stop in at a place call Norman Music. I had read tons of post here at AFG about Eastman Guitars. I had never held one or played one or even seen a Eastman. They had a Eastman AC812 hanging there, so I picked it up. Which ignited a major Fire and a hugh ball of "GAS" it sucked me in. I tossed my arms, flip flopping on the ground doing everything in my might to shake the GAS off. Needless to say I made it out the music store in one piece, as the smell of fumes begun to leave my clothing. Dripping in sweat as I climb in my car but my hands where empty. At that point I knew I was safe and I had Conquered 'GAS' by the skin of my teeth. All I can say is that AC812 was Drop Dead Gorgeous and Breath Taking at the least. CONGRATS to You and your new baby.
If that is true... and I am sure it is... then how is it that you haven't bought it!!??!!?? No two guitars are ever alike... It sure sounds like you found a pretty good one... or maybe it found you?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 PM

i just bought a k&k pure western mini from shoreline music. the great part about the eastman is that the endpin button hole is already at 1/2" diameter. No gouging necessary :-) can't wait to install.

You know with all the effort they put into some of those discontinued models and at the price they were MSRP'ing for. I wouldn't be surprised if they just discontinued it because it wasn't worth it. I mean with the details in my AC812 (bracing, bindings, inlays, etc), you'd think it would MSRP at least over $2000.

This is not even mentioning the sound quality, which I think is better than most of the martins and larrivees i've played at guitar center (granted most GC's do the bare minimum to take care of their acoustics section).
Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 AM

Congratulations on your new Eastman. I've had an AC710S (a slotted head which became relabeled AC712) for about 2.5 years. Just be careful with it. It has the most delicate nitro finish I've ever seen on a guitar. I've got little nicks and dings and chips all over mine, while my Martin OM-21 that I've had almost as long is almost mint.

Why is that model discontinued? I don't know for sure, but Eastman has been making flat top guitars for only a few years and have had a lot of model numbers. An Eastman rep told me they had made only a few slotted head OM's, for instance. Perhaps it's a result of their finding their way in what models they want to make and sell. I've read that the finish of the newer Traditional Series guitar (e.g. E10OM, E20OM) have a more durable finish, but I've not had the pleasure of seeing one.

Enjoy your new Eastman. It's a very fine guitar.

Bill
Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Just be careful with it. It has the most delicate nitro finish I've ever seen on a guitar. I've got little nicks and dings and chips all over mine, while my Martin OM-21 that I've had almost as long is almost mint.
I've seen this comment from others and was wondering if the finish chips after being knocked into something or it's more spontaneous chipping...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion