The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Seriously want to know what each of you think is THE BEST mic for recording acoustic guitar. please give me some details. i am looking to record and want the PERFECT acoustic guitar mic.
The preferred or favorite mic is mostly a subjective choice (although there are some objective criteria) and depends on many factors including the instrument, the player's right hand techniques, the style of music, the ensemble (i.e., band, duo, solo, etc.), the desired result and personal preference.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seriously want to know what each of you think is THE BEST mic for recording acoustic guitar. please give me some details. i am looking to record and want the PERFECT acoustic guitar mic.
Many, many, mikes in all sorts of price ranges can do just fine. No mike will match the perfect mike that exists in your imagination however.

Listen to a number of recordings by other people where you can find out what gear they used. Notice that most anyone's recording sound will vary, at least somewhat, even with the same gear and guitar.

Keep in mind the sound of the same gear in your hands will likely vary dramatically from the sound somewhat else gets from that gear due to many variables (the player, the guitars, the type of music, the room acoustics, the set up, the post recording sound tweaking, etc.).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 PM

My experience, which is the experience of many others, is that the instrument is A LOT more significant than whatever mic you end up with.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
The perfect mic for recording acoustic guitar depends on: what acoustic guitar, who's playing it, what style of music (classical, Celtic, jazz, percussive, folk, etc, etc. etc...), where the guitar will be recorded, not to mention how much money you're prepared to spend, what you're using for a preamp/interface, what kind of sound you prefer (bright, dark, neutral, vintage, modern, etc.) and how much time and effort you're prepared to spend on mic placement.
BTW - This is the short list.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD