The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-04-2021, 06:47 PM

Default Anyone heard from Howard Klepper?

Rumor has it he may be getting a shop back together.

Last edited by M Sarad; 02-05-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Matt, I have. His thinking has gradually shifted back in that direction.....
Old 02-04-2021, 07:54 PM

Howard's still alive, still brilliant, and still the only luthier with a Ph.D. in philosophy and a JD (law doctorate) who taught at the University of Chicago and Stanford University, who gave up his academic career to whittle wood.

"Brilliant"? Look the word up in the dictionary of your choice. You'll see a photo of Howard Klepper.

Last edited by jt1; 02-05-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

I have had a few conversations and had a dinner over a year ago. As Bob says, he was leaning that way and contemplated projects with American woods. He had also spent time on turning wood.

I always enjoy picking Howard's brain.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:20 AM

I was thinking I'd pose the same question the other day. Good to hear that he's OK and thinking of getting back into luthiery. Not easy to come back after a disaster like that.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:31 PM

> Rumor has it he may be getting a shopback together.

That'd be real good news!
Old 02-05-2021, 08:11 PM

I always remembered klepper's guitar with the different woods jointed together - what an unique design!

It would be excellent news to see such an innovative luthier get back into lutherie.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Howard's still alive, still brilliant, and still the only luthier with a Ph.D. in philosophy and a JD (law doctorate) who taught at the University of Chicago and Stanford University, who gave up his academic career to whittle wood.
That's it. I hate overachievers. Just kidding. But seriously, that's an amazing background.

Just went to his website to learn more about him and it just seems as if he oozes amazing. It's always so humbling to read about all these incredible people.

I've never had a chance to play a Klepper, but was devastated to learn that he was impacted by the fires. Whether he re-opens his shop or not, I just hope he finds something awesome. Nothing worse to hear bad things happening to good people, and I hope awesomeness returns to his life. He seems like one cool hombre.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
That's it. I hate overachievers. Just kidding. But seriously, that's an amazing background.

Just went to his website to learn more about him and it just seems as if he oozes amazing. It's always so humbling to read about all these incredible people.

I've never had a chance to play a Klepper, but was devastated to learn that he was impacted by the fires. Whether he re-opens his shop or not, I just hope he finds something awesome. Nothing worse to hear bad things happening to good people, and I hope awesomeness returns to his life. He seems like one cool hombre.
We should get together at some point. You can play the Schoenberg Howard built. It's quite something!
Old 02-06-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Howard pops up in the custom shop, and in the build and repair threads, when he has something to contribute. If he doesn't, he stays quiet. Thats why if you see a post by Howard, it is worth reading and appreciating -

I have the Wabi-Sabi guitar he built - it is a great guitar based solely on playability and tone, but his choice of aesthetics (or, lack of choice?) makes it even more special -
Old 02-06-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
We should get together at some point. You can play the Schoenberg Howard built. It's quite something!
That would be awesome. When the world gets back to normal, or a new normal, I'd definitely take you up on that!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

In the second portion of Howard’s building career (one was pre-University, building and repairing in 1968-1978 and the second portion post his career as a University professor from 2001-2017 until the Nun’s Fire) he built both unique, artful instruments as well as vintage derivative guitars. I was fortunate to be able to commission a guitar with Howard about 5 years ago and we have become friends.

My guitar tapped more into the unique and artful side of Howard’s work. It was an OM but had a 24.9” to 25.4” multi-scale, a 1/2” Manzer Wedge, an oval sound hole with a sound port. Howard typically used the finest timbers and in this guitar used a top he hand selected at a visit to Rivolta in Italy and a perfectly quartersawn set of African Blackwood. Howard loves wood! The neck has a Yellowheart center. The fretboard and belly bridge are both African Blackwood as well. Howard made his own marquetry as well which is a rare thing these days in lutherie. On this guitar we used some Martin Style 30 purfling that he made with Ceylon Satinwood binding. He used Rodgers tuners with Black Pearl buttons to match the Black Pearl rosette.

I hope some of the other Klepper Guitar owners take some time to share their instruments in this thread...

Old 02-07-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yum

I would love to see more of Howard's beautiful instruments too! Thanks for sharing yours, Bob

And I am sure we all wish him well. Such a shame when bad stuff happens to wonderful people.

Everyone play pretty and tune up often

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-07-2021, 02:15 PM

I played a special guitar Howard built at the Sebastopol Guitar festival, a small local gathering. He handed it to me in the parking lot. My friend, Tad Laird ended up buying it.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Yup - that’s the Wabi-Sabi - I’m honored to be it’s caretaker -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop