The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 03:41 AM

Default Recommendations for 12-string strings

Dear all

This is my first post on this forum in many years (going back to the days of RMMGA). I've just bought a lovely 1966 Guild F212 12-string (look out, Ralph Towner, here I come!), which is in need of a setup and new strings. I use Elixir Nanowebs on my 6-string (1947 Martin 0-18), but would love to get some recommendations from the experienced 12-string players on here. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy in Adelaide, South Australia
Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

Hi Andy in Australia, this is Andy in the UK.

This rather depends on your playing style, but I use D'addarion EJ37s on my Martin and M190s on my Harmony Both are 12/12 - 54-30, and tuned down one tone.

See ;
Old 07-11-2019, 04:24 AM

Thanks, Andy!

I'm a fingerpicker with aspirations towards Towner's music as well as that of Leo Kottke, Steve Tibbetts and others (but no realistic hope of achieving them, at age 59) and this is my first ever 12, so I'm firmly in noob territory here. I've just noticed another post on this subject a little further down with 248 views and 18 replies, so I'll have a look there for ideas (which is, of course, what I should've done before before firing off indiscriminately).

Cheers, Andy

PS: It doesn't look that silly to me ...
Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 AM

string changes on a 12 are a chore, I use Elixir Nano, phosphor bronze 10s. They last forever. (10's are the same gauge it was shipped with)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
string changes on a 12 are a chore, I use Elixir Nano, phosphor bronze 10s. They last forever. (10's are the same gauge it was shipped with)
I agree with this, although I am not a big fan of Elixirs -
Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Martin Lifespan strings sound good and last a long time.
I like them over Elixir. Better tone to my ears.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:56 AM

I've got a set of Elixir nanoweb 10s waiting for my next change.

I remove and replace one string at a time on the 12er, safer that way. If you do decide to remove them all so you can clean or condition the board, remember to put the high G octave on last or you risk snapping it.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I agree with this, although I am not a big fan of Elixirs -
yea,, but thankfully you have options!

ever try Cleartone Strings? they seem to last about as long as Elixirs, but they are not "Coated"... some thing else done to extend life. I've used a few sets, I kind of liked those too. If you haven't tried, maybe take a look next time your due.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:27 PM

The choices for you depend upon whether you are looking to emphasize the brightness of your guitar, or tone it down and augment the warmth. For example, I have used D'Addario Nickel Bronze and Martin Monels to tame the brightness of my Taylor 856.

But for me, ease of play is extremely important. For that, I would recommend Newtone Heritage or the previously mentioned Thomastic Plectrums.

I was surprised to find that DR Rares had decent playability and good sound, at a low price.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:43 PM

This is one area where I still use Elixirs (lights). I don't play 12-string as often and re-stringing is a bigger chore, so I just stayed with them and they last almost forever. I prefer the PBs (this is on my Yamaha LL16-12).

I tried the 80/20s...just way too bright, and 12-strings don't need any help in that regard. The PBs are still plenty bright but with a deliciously warm low and mid response.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 PM

I have my vintage Guild F-212 (1972 so newer than yours) strung with Silk & Steels. (probably Martins)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 PM

I use Elixir PB 12-String Lights,
.010 .014 .023 .030 .039 .047
.010 .014 .009 .012 .018 .027

Besides the fact that I like them a lot, they are also coated for less frequent changing and squeek reduction. And the fact that Taylor has Elixirs in mind when they build their guitars is a recommendation to bring out the best in their instruments. Most of my guitars at any one time have some gauge of Elixirs on them.

Both my 12 stringers are large body guitars, and they seem to come alive more with the Elixirs. Far as I know, my 458e-R has never had anything but Elixirs on it. (I got it used, with maybe the original set on it.) In fact, that rosewood and spruce Grand Orchestra is the best sounding 12 string I know. Over the years, I have played some nice Martin and Guild 12's that were in that ballpark, but barring personal choice, there probably wouldn't have been much difference. I chose the Taylor. Both times. 19 years apart. (I got the 458 in 2018.)

Light strings on big body guitars can work well sometimes. I have Elixir PB HD lights on both my Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra and my Epiphone EJ200 Jumbo. The 818e came with mediums, and the treble E and B strings are both the same as medium gauge with the HD Lights.

edit> Both 12's are tuned down a half step to D#. Sounds good there. And old habits die hard. But using the 'G7th Newport capo with compensated string pad' on the first fret will bring it up to standard without re-tuning. And I fingerpick all my instruments with my nails as picks.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-11-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

My Mark Angus 12 string (#58, 1983) is German Black Forest spruce over East Indian rosewood... as someone mentioned, string changes are a major PITA with a 12 string, so I use Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze strings on it, and I'll get well over a year out of a set...

The "standard" 12 string set that you find in Elixir is the 80-20 Nanowebs, but the phosphor bronze ones are out there, you just have to find them! I actually have the lady at Strings and Beyond make up sets for me, as they don't carry the Elixirs I want in the gauge I want.

Due to all the paired courses of strings on a 12 string (with most being thinner or plain steel), the guitar can sound a bit too jangly and thin for my tastes, so I use standard light gauge (12's) on my Angus, AND I tune it to pitch... never have had an issue with breaking strings, even that paired G string, except at one period in the 35+ years I've had the guitar, and that was due to something on the saddle causing the problem.

If your Guild is a maple back and sides (like Ralph's), you might like the 80-20 Nanoweb strings on it, but I really prefer the phosphor bronze on my Angus (which, by the way, was built from a template for a Guild F-40). The phosphor bronze brings more bass and a darker tone that offsets the high-end jangle inherent in 12 string guitars...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12-string, guild f212, strings