The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-01-2020, 12:31 PM

I've owned the Apogee MiC 96k for a few years now. It is the predecessor to the current Apogee offering. I do own other condenser mics that I usually record with but being stuck at home without them this last month, I used the Apogee to record some ideas, including a thunderstorm that came through. To say the least I was quite impressed with the results. I went direct to a 1st gen iPad Pro running Cubasis ii. Here's a Soundcloud link if you're interested. I have not had an opportunity to compare a new Apogee mic against the older version.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Wow. That is absolutely beautiful. (Mic sounds good too) Thanks for posting!
Old 05-01-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz761 View Post
Wow. That is absolutely beautiful. (Mic sounds good too) Thanks for posting!
Thanks! It was fun.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgavin View Post
I've owned the Apogee MiC 96k for a few years now. It is the predecessor to the current Apogee offering. I do own other condenser mics that I usually record with but being stuck at home without them this last month, I used the Apogee to record some ideas, including a thunderstorm that came through. To say the least I was quite impressed with the results. I went direct to a 1st gen iPad Pro running Cubasis ii. Here's a Soundcloud link if you're interested. I have not had an opportunity to compare a new Apogee mic against the older version.

That was wonderful! A treat. That’s for posting to this thread. I appreciate it. It inspires me to make some good music with the new mic.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That was wonderful! A treat. That’s for posting to this thread. I appreciate it. It inspires me to make some good music with the new mic.
My pleasure. Sometimes I think inspiration is half the battle! I know it is for me.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:00 PM

Hi Folks! Did the first steaming with the Apogee HypeMic. I used the middle compression setting because evidently my dynamics require it. Lol

Also, it seems the video could not keep up with the audio, so I may be forced to upgrade computers, or change settings.

Video for those who use Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/dcallan1/vi...7358485543137/
Old 05-03-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the 96k is pointless for home recording camp, but especially if you are streaming, I'd be going with 48k and maybe even dial the phone/camera back to 720p. Test the live feed privately first to get settings that work.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:19 PM

Default NMD: Apogee HypeMic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I'm in the 96k is pointless for home recording camp, but especially if you are streaming, I'd be going with 48k and maybe even dial the phone/camera back to 720p. Test the live feed privately first to get settings that work.

Indeed, the 96k is overkill from a frequency response standpoint. But what I was most interested is the 24 bit resolution for the dynamic headroom. And, evidently, the two are paired together in a number of these home/audio products. 48/24 would have been just fine, but that wasn’t offered with the compressor. The 720p webcam is all my computer’s graphics card can push anyway. I think the bottom line is that the analog compressor is WAY more valuable than I thought for my style of singing and playing.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Indeed, the 96k is overkill from a frequency response standpoint. But what I was most interested is the 24 bit resolution for the dynamic headroom. And, evidently, the two are paired together in a number of these home/audio products. 48/24 would have been just fine, but that wasn’t offered with the compressor. The 720p webcam is all my computer’s graphics card can push anyway. I think the bottom line is that the analog compressor is WAY more valuable than I thought for my style of singing and playing.
Tying the compressor to 96k/24-bit seems like a "curious" (being generous here) design choice. I mean, why 96k, and for that matter, if you're compressing, do you really even need 24-bit at that point? (It's certainly been reduced to 16-bit equivalent by the time it's streamed.)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Tying the compressor to 96k/24-bit seems like a "curious" (being generous here) design choice. I mean, why 96k, and for that matter, if you're compressing, do you really even need 24-bit at that point? (It's certainly been reduced to 16-bit equivalent by the time it's streamed.)

I think it’s just the evolution of their product line. Why make more than one chip? Also it’s designed for recording, I’m just using it for streaming. And the compression is optional of course. All that aside, I can tell you it’s the best sounding USB solution I’ve tried. I won’t be using any other USB product after this. It just works well for me.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:11 AM

Martingitdave, Thanks for the post and bringing this mic to our attention, I'm seriously considering buying one on Thursday or Friday. I did some due diligence on You Tube and it's getting great reviews there. I'm thinking it would make a great addition to my little home video studio. Even though $350 is a lot of money, it's a lot of mic with an Apogee compressor built in....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-06-2020, 12:47 AM

I’m also grateful to hear about the HypeMic and ordered one the other day. I have been a fan of Apogee for a number of years, with the Duet interface and the original Mic, which I still use but plan to sell when my HypeMic arrives. I am mostly focused on making videos these days and can’t wait to enjoy those built in compression settings!
Old 05-06-2020, 06:20 AM

I just placed my order for one...I bought it directly from Apogee. I compared the price of the Hyper mic to the the two AT 4140's and the AKG C214's I already have, and the HyperMic is very comparable with pricing, plus I'd get the Apogee compressor built in, which makes it a bargain. After hearing the A/B test with a Neumann on You Tube, it was a no brainer. After hearing a demo of the compressor, I felt I needed this mic to add depth to my voice.....so why wait....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-06-2020, 05:03 PM

I like the idea of that apogee mic, can you plug it directly into an iPhone 11?

Like many of us, I'm trying to find a good solution for hi-fi life streaming. Please let me know if this workflow would work or if I'm missing something.

AKG414 mic > iRig Pro> iPhone 11 > Facebook Live

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:43 PM

HypeMic vrs U-87......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX8B0At5Pyk
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD