The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 09:19 AM

Depends on the guitar. I have a great guitar that I love. I have medium strings on it and play in drop-D all the time and it sounds fantastic. I've noodled in lower alternate tunings and the guitar sounds good.

The guitar sounds terrible tuned D-d. Just lifeless. I can't understand why it sounds good in DADGAd or even in low-C-based tuning and not in standard "D." But that's what I heard.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Not to confuse things more for you, but you have to be careful singing and playing to recordings, especially real old ones. In analog recording days, recording engineers would occasionally speed up a recording to fit the media. I.e. 45's or 78's, and even tapes. Since analog equipment of those days couldn't correct the pitch change, musicians could be frustrated trying to play along. I can remember swearing at an artist for using an "odd" tuning, only to discover at a later date, that he/ she was in Standard tuning all along. I talked to an RCA engineer who clued me in one day, saying sometimes it was done because "somebody" thought a faster or slower speed sounded better, and the pitch change was of no consequence to the studio. It was also cheaper than a redo in the studio. In the digital age, pitch can be changed without changing speed, so beware.

The other Paul
Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Since you are starting out, it would be a great exercise to learn how to play the song in a lower key by transposing the chord shapes you use like someone mentioned. Chord sites will do it for you as mentioned, but try to learn what is happening and soon, you'll be able to play a song in nearly any key without needing a Web page to transpose it for you.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Lots of good advice here.

So I will just add one thing: I keep one guitar tuned down one half step and use it for many songs. Half a step makes a huge difference. Start there before you go down a full step.

I wish I had a nice tenor singing voice, but was born to be a baritone.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Thumbs up WHY NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptochiral View Post
Hello folks, first time poster here.

At first I would like to point out that my musical theory knowledge is very little, so please don't roast me if my problem is obvious. (although I couldn't find a similar thread anywhere)

To the point now: I am a beginner guitarist and a total beginner singer (can't yet manage to play and sing simultaneously lol) When I try to sing along some of the acoustic covers the pitch seems to be too high for me. I thought that maybe a full step downtuning could transfer that pitch towards my comfort zone.

Do you guys know any simple covers out there on youtube that are transposed (that's the word, right?) a full step down from the original E standard? I would like to compare it to the original tuning and see if keeping my guitar downtuned would help me to learn singing.

Any help greatly appreciated
Hello cryptochiral :

There are no set in stone laws on how you tune your guitar period .

Any song can be matched to your pitch by changing it's key signature .

Find out what key you sing in best for ease and range of your voice to
find how many octave ranges you can sing .

As far as tuning down , this is truly O.K. and no problem -
I tune a whole step down on my dread and have for over 15 years of the 16 I have owned it .

It will help you to play faster as you begin because of the slacked
tension on the strings , in time you will develop the hand strength
to play in any tuning including standard [ E ] .

Tuning down a whole step also gets you a really deeper tone too ,
I love the contrast my guitar's tone has next to other guitars .

Bottom line is , it's your call - go for it .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 PM

Lots of good advice here. I'll add a couple of things based on my experience. If you're playing on your own, go ahead and tune down a half (or full) step to accommodate your vocal range if that makes it easier for you.

When you start playing with others, you'll need to capo up to be able to play with them more easily (otherwise you'll be fine, and they will need to transpose... been there, done that, got the dirty looks).

I started working with a voice teacher around 6 months ago (at the age of 61, I had lost a lot of top end), and she has helped me gain a half an octave on the top end (we're not done yet).
Old 06-13-2017, 05:33 PM

Learn them separately and become good at each. Naturally over time they will mesh and you will be able to do them together. Then you will be able to easily find solutions to your questions.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:45 PM

Thumbs up Singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Lots of good advice here. I'll add a couple of things based on my experience. If you're playing on your own, go ahead and tune down a half (or full) step to accommodate your vocal range if that makes it easier for you.

When you start playing with others, you'll need to capo up to be able to play with them more easily (otherwise you'll be fine, and they will need to transpose... been there, done that, got the dirty looks).

I started working with a voice teacher around 6 months ago (at the age of 61, I had lost a lot of top end), and she has helped me gain a half an octave on the top end (we're not done yet).
Very cool man , really great .
Who sez an old dog can't learn a new trick
!

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 06-13-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
1) Posture: sit up straight, it helps airflow.

2) Use your diaphragm (aka your core/abs) to tighten to sing. As odd as it sounds, powerful singing does not come from your throat, but stomach. It gives you the support. Your diaphragm is the elevator motor, the throat is the elevator for notes.

3) Make loud mistakes. If a note is high for you, push more air. And you will eventually get to a place where you can "bridge" your singing voice and the falsetto or "little baby voice" haha.

4) Have fun and practice! Good luck in your endeavors.
Thanks for this shadowfox. I think that's solid, accessible advice for someone starting to sing and rings very true based on my experience so far (I feel like I'm just learning to sing myself. Simply sitting / standing up straight improved my singing 50% I think)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:08 PM

Not a thing wrong with the suggestions that you've received but I'm going to offer a different approach.

Back to the 1930's we had a lot of performers who accompanied themselves on the guitar - Folks like Jimmie Rodgers, Bradley Kinkaid, and Wilf Carter. On most of the record labels I've seen, these were listed as "vocals with guitar". This implies that the primary instrument is the vocal chords, not the guitar.

Following this approach, select a tune that you can sing, preferably by heart. This should be something simple like "You Are My Sunshine" or other singalong piece. Now that you've selected the song try matching your guitar to your vocal.

I'm not aware of how proficient you are with the guitar but assume you are able to play in several keys. Now, select chords in one key and see if they match that in which you sing. If not, select the next. If you aren't able to match the guitar to your voice using all the keys you know pull out the capo, place it on the first fret and repeat. Still no hit? Move it up one fret.

If you can't match by the third fret, pick another song and repeat.

Remember, nothing beats practice.

All the best in your endeavors.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:06 PM

Default tuning

hi strummers and pluckers and of course CRYP.

Come on Cry you are over complicating the whole thing.

Someone has already said- play what you are comportable with. Nobody cares if it is A,D,C,G,E, or anything else.

You must play what your voice suits.

Don't get smart or try to copy anybody else.

Sit in you bedroom or preferably the toilet where the acoustics are always the best and practice,practice,practice and then practice some more!

SX
Old 06-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
A bit of advice for you fellow player!
1) Posture: sit up straight, it helps airflow.

Standing is even better.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleBob View Post
Thanks for this shadowfox. I think that's solid, accessible advice for someone starting to sing and rings very true based on my experience so far (I feel like I'm just learning to sing myself. Simply sitting / standing up straight improved my singing 50% I think)
No Problem Bob! Glad it helped! Important that you are confidence, as that's a major part of the battle right?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
singing, transposing, tuning down