The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-27-2020, 11:23 AM

Fantastic! The new X7/X10/X30 neck join and rib bevel were to be expected, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the fretboard contour, and especially the new bridge shape -- I've always found the old one to be Alistair's one design blindspot, and the new one looks great. Throw some pins on there and you have my ideal guitar. I'd love to see the new shape standard on the X7 as well.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 AM

I was getting tired of how perfect the old one was anyway... now more perfecter... nice
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-27-2020, 11:54 AM

I honestly don't see a pinless bridge as an advantage. I'm OK with pinless if they work well. But there have been reports here of past problems with pinless bridges and string seating, unless Alistair has addressed those issues in the new design. And I am ambivalent about the new bridge - that does not affect me either way. The prior X20 was just about perfect, but I wanted a shorter scale length. Either way, this Emerald will be the last new or used guitar that I ever plan to buy. Seriously.....

I have absolutely no idea if my current custom X20 in the build queue since February has already been molded in the old form, or will be molded the new version. Perhaps I should send Chloe or Kevin an email asking for a status report? If they offered me the choice or original recipe or "extra crispy" I honestly cannot say which way I would go without a round of Q&A.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I was getting tired of how perfect the old one was anyway... now more perfecter... nice
That right there ^^. I generally have the ability to buy something right before a big improvement is announced. This way, I got 3 1/2 years with my current X20.

I like the updates, but appreciate how "just right" that X20 design was from the beginning. Nice that Alistair and Emerald keep looking for ways to give us all a better guitar experience.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

My only complaint about the X20 was the fret board extending a bit too far onto the body, great to see that addressed. Looks like about $100. price increase for what used to be pretty pricey options. Nice updates without messing with anything critical ! and what Kramster said....
Old 07-27-2020, 01:52 PM

I love everything about it. I think it updates the look and utility of the modern legend. Well done Alistair
Old 07-27-2020, 02:10 PM

I definitely will have to get the new one once I wear the one I got in 2013 out. How long do these guitars last anyhow?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Tom, I figure that they will open up with about 100,000 years of play time. And I intend to be here still.....
Seriously, with CF bodies and stainless steel frets, any one Emerald should outlast 20 lifetimes of even professional play.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Tom, I figure that they will open up with about 100,000 years of play time. And I intend to be here still.....
Seriously, with CF bodies and stainless steel frets, any one Emerald should outlast 20 lifetimes of even professional play.
You can always put on your belt and suspenders and go for EVO frets.

Earl49, if I was you I would have that Q&A about the specs of your upcoming guitar. That is, unless you're truly ambivalent about the changes/upgrades and you also like surprises.

The X20 changes must have been in the works pre-pandemic, with Alistair waiting for the work crew to be back to full strength before building/finishing the new models.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:10 PM

That is good advice. I will send an email to Chloe and/or Kevin. I am mostly ambivalent about all but the pinless bridge. Some assurances would be good that they've solved the issues that plagued some past buyers -- poor string seating IIRC.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I honestly don't see a pinless bridge as an advantage. I'm OK with pinless if they work well. But there have been reports here of past problems with pinless bridges and string seating, unless Alistair has addressed those issues in the new design.
I'm one of the ones that wasn't pleased with the pinless bridge operation. Alistair did allude to a new 'slotting' that would allow for better operation. Assuming that works better I'd be fine with it.

There is (was?) a gorgeous Royal Ebony one on the website. I prefer a short scale and different pickup or I might have pulled the trigger!
Old 07-27-2020, 04:38 PM

Methos, sometimes I wish that I had bought your coco custom X20 last year when you first offered it. It checked most of my boxes, but uncertainty about the custom SCGC neck profile made me pause, because I have no direct experience (more than quick five minute test plays in some stores). I'm glad that all worked out for you shortly thereafter. I was sorely tempted........

Before shutting down for the day, I will email Emerald with my questions. I have a ukulele club coming in ~90 minutes to jam in the back yard.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I love the gentle evolution of the design.

Now I await (perhaps fruitlessly) a similar shift for the Amicus...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-27-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Had a nice conversation with Kevin this am, and he told me about the new design. Just bought the black one!
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-27-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm one of the ones that wasn't pleased with the pinless bridge operation. Alistair did allude to a new 'slotting' that would allow for better operation. Assuming that works better I'd be fine with it.

There is (was?) a gorgeous Royal Ebony one on the website. I prefer a short scale and different pickup or I might have pulled the trigger!
That one looks great, as does the Harborica. Very striking!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber