The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-24-2020, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Default 12 or 14 fret National?

I've been looking at getting a National NRP Steel body, and can't decide between a 12 or 14 fret. All my other guitars are 14 frets, so that is the direction I am leaning towards, to keep things the same. Access to those upper few frets would be nice.

Does the 12 fret have a noticeable tone difference, or playability? Both instruments are the same scale length if I understand correctly.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:50 AM

A year and a half ago I bought a used steel 12 fret NRP. It sounded great but I ultimately sold it because of the limited access in the upper frets. Playing up there is doable by shifting your hand/fingers around, but it always felt clunky and imprecise for me. After that experience I would now go with either a 14 fret or more likely, a 12 fret cutaway like the steel resorocket.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

14-fret for easier play. If I'm not mistaken, the 12-fretters were standard for the fist few years of National production with the 14-fretter option coming in maybe around 1934/35? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, Thanks.

I've seen photos of Son House playing both 12- and 14-fret Nationals so either type, IMHO, is genuine, old-time bluesman-approved! I recently opted to buy a 14-fret Republic Duolian and I'm glad for the extra ease of higher-fret access.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-26-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:48 AM

12 was good enough for Johnny Winter.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
12 was good enough for Johnny Winter.
Yep when I used to go see johnny live in the early 80's he didnt care much about anything other than accidently falling off the stage if he wandered too far away from his stool...and boy could he play when he was on that stool !!!!
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster
Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 PM

There is a difference. But I would say it is more subtle than a 14 fret, vs. classic 12 fret flattop guitar. Though the difference is in a different area.

To my heavily abused ears, on brass ones, which is where my preference lies, the 14 fretters have less bass, and sound more mid-rangy, which my brain interprets as "nasally". Now Nationals are not super strong in the bass game to begin with. So any loss in that area is not a good thing IMO.

Again, I don't think it's a huge difference. The main reason I don't own a 14 fretter is the aesthetics. I don't think there is a more beautiful guitar on the planet than a single cone 12 fret nationals. Those round shoulders...

As to the limitations of the 12 fret neck, I've been playing the 12 fretters for almost two decades. My thumb just naturally comes off the back of the neck when I need to hit the 15th or 17th fret with a slide.

I also never capo, unless I'm having trouble picking up a song from a recording in A or E, or worse, capoed and in A or E! I never tune up to A or E to protect my cones. Sometimes being 1, 2 or more steps lower than the recording hurts my brain and can't pick up what's going on and can't learn the song. That's the only time I capo.

My honest advice is to go for the look you like more. Opening a case and seeing a guitar YOU find beautiful is always inspiring for me. Either way you go, you'll have a killer guitar. You'll love it.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:26 AM

Also for me it is more of an aesthetic fact, I like more the 12 fret body shape.
That is why I will soon build a 13 fret with a 12 fret body shape.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haussmann View Post
Also for me it is more of an aesthetic fact, I like more the 12 fret body shape.
That is why I will soon build a 13 fret with a 12 fret body shape.
I own one. A Baritone Style 1 Tricone. It is a beast!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:51 AM

I have both the 12 and 14 Model O deluxe. To me the 12 is more pleasing to the ear and eye. The 14 sits in the case.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Hi as I'm a 12 fret freak, I've always gone for the "traditional" designs.

and

Old 07-26-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi as I'm a 12 fret freak, I've always gone for the "traditional" designs.

and

Nice, Andy, Very Nice!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-26-2020, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input folks. The 12 frets do look nicer. Im not sure how much that would matter to me when I am sitting playing it. Most of the NRP's I see for sale online are 12 frets.

Access to those upper frets would be good, but its not like I play up there a ton, just from time to time. I could adapt my technique.

I'm going to try and play a few more and make up my mind.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Thanks for the input folks. The 12 frets do look nicer. Im not sure how much that would matter to me when I am sitting playing it. Most of the NRP's I see for sale online are 12 frets.

Access to those upper frets would be good, but its not like I play up there a ton, just from time to time. I could adapt my technique.

I'm going to try and play a few more and make up my mind.
It's hard to go wrong. Wooden ones with metal pans are more aggressive sounding than most people expect. I definitely wouldn't buy one of those without trying one of that sub-group first.

Other than that, what you hear on youtube vids is pretty accurate. Nothing wrong with the metal panned woodies if you like the sound. They just don't fool around!
Old 07-27-2020, 09:01 PM

I have a NRP 12 fretter, single cone. I like the look of 12 fretters better and I rarely go above the 12th fret. But sometimes I do, especially when I capo up, and the extra access would come in handy, particularly with the slide. If I bought again I'd give it some more thought - still not sure which way I'd go.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 07-28-2020, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm really having trouble deciding on a configuration for this National NRP. They make so many nice finishes, though they add to the cost of the guitar. The pewter finish on this reso rocket is especially nice.

I have never seen a cutaway on an NRP model, can't seem to find one anywhere online. When I asked National about it they said the NRP with a cutaway has the grillwork, so I guess it would look similar to that Resorocket. But i guess folks go for them in the traditional format. Maybe I should just stick with a more traditional layout.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments