The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-11-2024, 02:39 AM

Default Yamaha vs Cordoba for a beginner

Looking at returning to playing guitar and more specifically classical after a break of 5 years or so.

Before going in deep I'm looking to dip my toe into this world so am looking at budget level which is leading me down the path of the Yamaha C40 and other 'cheap' models such as this. I've looked at the 2nd hand market but it seems pretty sparse at the moment so will be buying new.

As ever with this sort of thing I've started thinking about 'what if spend a little more' but without raising my wife's eyebrows too much. This has led me to look at Cordoba, namely the C3, C5 and C7. All three of these are on offer at an online retailer (20% off).

So I guess my question is - would the C40 do me well to start with or should I opt for the Cordoba range with the thought that I would get more pleasure and playability from a higher quality instrument?
Yamaha 112v Pacifica
Old 04-11-2024, 04:50 AM

The Yamaha, for the price point, is hard to beat. You can acquire it and explore playing classical/nylon. If you enjoy classical or decide it’s not for you, you will be able trade up or out and it will have retained its value.

That said, I own/play Cordoba and they are great, too.

Enjoy
Old 04-11-2024, 08:39 AM

If you're going to play classical music the C5 consistently is recommended by many.
I don't play classical, but play a Cordoba Cadete 3/4 which is one of my two favorite guitars. It's a good option if you normally play steel string and are looking for a comfortable nylon string option.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I bought a C5 when I wanted to learn classical style a bit. Its a decent guitar and can sound very good with the right strings. Yamaha does make good guitars so I don't think you could go wrong with either brand.

Here's me playing a short piece with it:

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.M View Post
So I guess my question is - would the C40 do me well to start with or should I opt for the Cordoba range with the thought that I would get more pleasure and playability from a higher quality instrument?
SUMMARY: For beginners constrained by a budget (or a spousal expense approval process), the Yamaha C40 is the best option. For those with the monetary means, I think upgrading to the Cordoba C5 is a good choice.

Ideally, you should give yourself an opportunity to play these instruments in-person. If yet lacking an ability to play, then I recommend evaluating them with a capable acquaintance (i.e. one who plays and knows classical guitars).

When ordering online, I recommend that you be covered by a good and convenient return policy.

I've not had an opportunity to play more than one Cordoba C3M so I won't offer my opinion.

I've restrung and refurbished a lot of Yamaha C40's as a volunteer for my school district's music program and I've owned one myself for more than 15 years now. I consider it the best and most reliable choice at its price point. I still play it despite having more expensive guitars and it is the instrument that I will bring to take lessons or to attend classical guitar conventions. I developed all my guitar maintenance skills on it and it now has an action that is as good as my flamenco guitars with no buzzing.

Of the Cordobas that you mentioned (that I have a good amount of experience with), I am inclined to recommend the C5 as the best in performance-for-price. I have liked the C5's that I've test-played although I did notice some quality-control problems in the early years when C5 production was moved to China. I haven't played any C5's recently but they seem to now be well-recommended.

The C5 also comes with a (non-traditional) truss rod which should provide greater neck stability in locations where humidity swings might be a problem.

The C7 has not impressed me as sounding any better than the C5 but it is nicer looking. That is important for some folks.

You might want to join the Delcamp forum. Here's a nice discussion to get you started.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 04-11-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:27 AM

The C5 is definitely widely appreciated as a great low priced nylon string guitar.

The c40 from Yamaha is not a solid top. The quality is still high as Yamaha makes very good budget minded instruments, but paying extra for a solid top guitar is really worth it...so I'd say you'd be better off looking at a CG 122 from Yamaha. I have not played that model, but I do own a CG-TA which is based on the 162 (just a few steps above) and I think it's great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-11-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
The c40 from Yamaha is not a solid top. The quality is still high as Yamaha makes very good budget minded instruments, but paying extra for a solid top guitar is really worth it...so I'd say you'd be better off looking at a CG 122 from Yamaha.
Just so the OP understands the equivalent models in the line:

Yamaha CG122 (Cedar) = Cordoba C3M (Cedar)
Both have solid tops and matte finishes.

Yamaha CG142 (Cedar) = Cordoba C5 (Cedar)
Both have solid tops and gloss finishes. The Yamaha has nato (aka eastern mahogany) laminated back/sides while the Cordoba has laminated mahogany back/sides. The Yamaha CG162 has ovangkol laminated back/sides which looks a bit more like rosewood.

Yamaha CG192C or CG182C (Cedar) = Cordoba C7 (Cedar)
Both have solid tops and gloss finishes. Both have laminated rosewood back/sides. The Yamahas have ebony fretboards while the C7 uses rosewood. The CG192C upgrades the neck from nato to African Mahogany.

With the exception of the Cordoba C3M, I believe all of these models are available with spruce tops.

NOTES REGARDING LAMINATED BACKS/SIDES:
Manufacturers will sometimes play loose with using "mahogany" to describe a wood. It's my understanding that few manufacturers (if any) still use South American mahogany. Yamaha seems to be more open and exact about which specific species of wood it uses for manufacturing and also acknowledges that its laminates use a core of meranti (which has the tonal characteristics of mahogany).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I do own a CG-TA which is based on the 162 (just a few steps above) and I think it's great.
The Yamaha CG-TA with the TransAcoustic Hall Reverb turned on is like a guitar on steroids.

But I do have to use polished basses with it to reduce the amplification of string squeaks.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 04-11-2024 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:06 PM

Thanks all for these really helpful and thoughtful replies. I’m going to see if I can get to play the c40 and the c5 then hopefully make a decision from there.
Yamaha 112v Pacifica
Old 04-11-2024, 05:03 PM

Note that if you're planning to play in the classical posture, you will likely need to buy a guitar support.

The GuitarLift series is well-regarded, probably the best, but also expensive. Chinese-made copies are available for 1/3rd the cost on AliExpress (search for Koyunbaba guitar support) but I have no experience with them.

Of the others, I use and like the ErgoPlay Tappert and the Gitano.

All of these will work without any problems on the Yamaha C40 or the Cordoba C5. The suction cups adhere securely to their high-gloss polyurethane finishes.

Complaints of the supports coming off usually come from folks who pair them with matte, semi-gloss, nitro, French polish, and other such finishes. For these guitars, the best support is the Sagework series.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 04-11-2024 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:51 PM

It is worth noting that Yamaha acquired Cordoda, which I realize doesn't help you in choosing a guitar, but it may mean you can't go wrong with either!

https://yamahaguitargroup.com/news/Y...2023-02-06.pdf

YAMAHA AC6R
YAMAHA FS5
YAMAHA RGX-A2
Ibanez PF-40 Flamed Maple B/S (1990s)
Ibanez RG ? MIJ (1987?)
Old 04-14-2024, 02:07 PM

Thanks again for the advice, links and general help - ended up getting a c40, so far very impressed for the money.
Yamaha 112v Pacifica
Old 04-14-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.M View Post
Thanks again for the advice, links and general help - ended up getting a c40, so far very impressed for the money.
Congratulations on the new guitar! I hope you find it as dependable, satisfying, and enriching as mine has been all these years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical