The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Ted, 6 posts in... I see what you did there.

Look at all the good information available on this sub-forum! And, about a variety of carbon fiber offerings. It's all good.
Ted the man on a mission.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I thought this was an Emerald thread.....

;-)
Now there's an idea I would appreciate!
Old 04-26-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ted; I didn't think the nylon Parlor came in a 14 fret ???
Yes, that is an option, Evan. In fact I was sure the added string tension would enhance the projection, but as it turned out, the 12-Fret NP12 was just as loud, and definitely more fun to play.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:

Look at all the good information available on this sub-forum! And, about a variety of carbon fiber offerings. It's all good.
My thought exactly. Talk about a double standard.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Guest 928

Ted;

Yes, I found the 12 fret to be very satisfying. I have always been into long scale, thin necked guitars, but the Rainsong has me re-thinking my previous attitudes.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
My thought exactly. Talk about a double standard.
Now, just a darn minute... are you implying we have standards??

Kidding aside, I enjoy some good-natured kidding. Easy for me to say - I have all the guitars I'll ever want. Yeah, I'm kidding again.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ted;

Yes, I found the 12 fret to be very satisfying. I have always been into long scale, thin necked guitars, but the Rainsong has me re-thinking my previous attitudes.
Funny how that can happen, Evan.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Jim, we've gone over this, Rainsong uses very expensive molds to build their guitars, including their necks. I sell probably more Rainsongs every year than the total production of Emerald, and I can tell you that over that last ten years, there have been a total of three people who have asked me for a neck using 1-7/8" nut width. Given those low numbers, would you invest say 50K in a mold for a wider neck if you were running Rainsong?

No, but I might invest in a 12-string mold. Or a 00, I suspect you get far more requests for one of those than a 1-7/8" nut. And if they ever do that, I'll be one of the first in line for a 00. Matched pair, 00 and 00-12 string?

But this is an Emerald thread so here is a pic of my X-7 next to my Larrivee Parlor.

To answer the OP's question, Capt. Jim pretty much got everything, X20 is the size, Artisan or Opus or Custom is the trim level.

The one thing I would add is that I believe that these trim levels are reasonably recent (few to several years) so older guitars may have just been an X20 without a trim level specified.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-27-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

The one thing I would add is that I believe that these trim levels are reasonably recent (few to several years) so older guitars may have just been an X20 without a trim level specified.
Yes, my 2013 standard X7 has a glossy green weave top,
but the rest is (apart from gloss neck) plain matte black with a slightly textured finish.
(Think pick up truck bed plastic liner !)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Yes, my 2013 standard X7 has a glossy green weave top,
but the rest is (apart from gloss neck) plain matte black with a slightly textured finish.
(Think pick up truck bed plastic liner !)
Jon, I think that finish is what Emerald refers to as Crystal Ice.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, but I might invest in a 12-string mold. Or a 00, I suspect you get far more requests for one of those than a 1-7/8" nut. And if they ever do that, I'll be one of the first in line for a 00. Matched pair, 00 and 00-12 string?

But this is an Emerald thread so here is a pic of my X-7 next to my Larrivee Parlor.

To answer the OP's question, Capt. Jim pretty much got everything, X20 is the size, Artisan or Opus or Custom is the trim level.

That photo is a great comparative image, showing the contemporary vs the very traditional. Same scale, but the Emerald is more compact due to the shorter head with the smaller tuners. The wider waist and off-set soundhole allowing as much or more sound/tone. And all those curves and rounded edges adding to the comfort. Take what is good about the traditional and bring it to modern design; with structure that takes away the environmental concerns.

Is it any wonder some of us are so enthusiastic about these guitars?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Jon, I think that finish is what Emerald refers to as Crystal Ice.
Tom, you may be right, but I think the difference with the latest iteration is that the weave can be seen through the "frosted" finish of the unpolished areas.

The back n sides of mine are solid black with a knobbly texture . Like I say, much like one of those trunk liners used for carrying a cargo of logs or such.

It's certainly practical, but it couldn't ever be called purty, that's OK, people only see the shiny green front when I'm wowing them with it !

OK, I confess,,, I'd prolly spring for the Artisan, if I was getting, say, a new X20
Old 04-27-2017, 01:43 PM

Hi Jon,

I have a late 2013 X20. I thought at first (in August?) I was getting a guitar with the black matte that you describe. Alistair was working on the first guitars with chrystal ice (spelling?) at the time and asked if I was willing to try it. In the end I got a beautiful red X20 with red chrystal ice on the sides, back and head. I don't think that option is available now, but at the time Emerald offered several colors (amber, blue, green, red, black and maybe more) for the opus version and the same colors for the Artisan version where the sides, back and neck were smooth and not chrystal ice as the main variant. I also ended up getting upgraded tuners at no charge so I think my timing was fortuitous.

I am thinking hard about a wood veneer 12 string and am currently casting tea leaves and studying fish guts to see when the best time to order would be. Anybody have an orbuculum that I could borrow for this scrying? TIA.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

That is a nice pic of the Larry and Emerald....
Old 04-27-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Nice coincidence, as I too have an X7 just like yours, AND I used to own a Larrivee Parlor. But if you would prefer a 1 7/8" nut, you probably wouldn't have liked my Parlor, as it was one of the four original prototypes from the 1999 NAMM show, and had a 1 11/16" nut, not the 1 3/4" nut that the production runs had. I really liked the plain understated elegance of the Parlor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber