The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Smile form vs aesthetics

I agree with everyone here. I have traditional guitars such as Martin and Taylor - but I also have an emerald and a composite acoustic. I think the basic structure of a traditional wood guitar is due to the most efficient use of wood to capture the strength and provide the acoustical box to amplify the strings. However carbon fiber allows the luthier to go beyond the parameters that are needed to build a wood guitar. For example - my emerald has the integrated bridge into the top - no interface or glue to absorb vibration. My CA OX has eliminated the heel of the guitar - which makes it very comfortable to play. Carbon fiber guitars are so stable that they rarely go out of tune. My Emerald is the " cleanest " sounding guitar I have ever owned. There is really nothing that can loosen up and buzz and rattle. I love my Martins and especially the Taylor for the special sound they make. But I really love the shape/ comfort features of the carbon fiber guitars. I have nothing against Rainsong and I think they offer the best of both worlds to those who do not want to give up the paradigms of what a guitar should look like. I thank the Emeralds, Journeys. blackbird, CA and others who have stepped out beyond the traditional thinking of what a guitar should be.

By the way - my sign in name has nothing to do with Emerald -- I am a salesperson of Irish decent and I have used this handle for years because it was easier for me to remember.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Guest 928

Irishrep;

Nicely said! I'm with you.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:01 PM

To each their own as they say. I love the looks of my Emerald X5 woody. For me its just a form of Alistair's art work, combining wood veneers with carbon fiber. The man is a true artist.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:43 PM

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I like the look of carbon fiber guitars without any wood veneer on the top.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I like the look of carbon fiber guitars without any wood veneer on the top.
Tastes certainly vary on this. I know that Emerald puts spectacular pieces of veneer on carbon guitars. To me that feels somehow wrong.

It is totally a feel or philosophy thing. Like the veneer is trying to hide what the guitar really is??? Not that hiding anything is why Emerald does it - but my mind or heart twists it to feel that way.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Hiding or showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Tastes certainly vary on this. I know that Emerald puts spectacular pieces of veneer on carbon guitars. To me that feels somehow wrong.

It is totally a feel or philosophy thing. Like the veneer is trying to hide what the guitar really is??? Not that hiding anything is why Emerald does it - but my mind or heart twists it to feel that way.
Taste on aesthetics IMO to being just that, taste. Fiberguitars are lovely, wood guitars are lovely and a tasteful mix of both can also be lovely. So the main thing is does the player enjoy what he's got I think is the main point. And variation and creativity have always been our strength as a race, so the more variety the merrier for all.
Me, I'm just waiting for an extra X-mas and delivery of an X20 woody with teardrop mahogany veneer. It'll be just as beautiful as my 1959 Levin classic. Just different 😉
Old 04-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Guest 928

Yo Ken G;

You get your woody yet? Lucky guy!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM

I'll post when it arrives ��
Old 04-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrep View Post
For example - my emerald has the integrated bridge into the top - no interface or glue to absorb vibration.
I've read this in more than one place.

How are you defining the bridge as 'integrated'? From my understanding, the bridge is carved on it's own, it's not built as part of the layup of the top...
Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrep View Post
...For example - my emerald has the integrated bridge into the top - no interface or glue to absorb vibration...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
I've read this in more than one place.

How are you defining the bridge as 'integrated'? From my understanding, the bridge is carved on it's own, it's not built as part of the layup of the top...
On the emeralds we used to sell, the bridges were molded as part of the body, or at least that's what it looks like. But whether the bridge is part of the top, or glued on, would have zero affect on vibration transfer, that is left to the saddle.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Right. Now imagine how much sharper that guitar would look with a simple, pre-war-Martin inspired headstock, bridge, and tuners. I'd be far more likely to buy something like that and I don't think I'm the only one who would be tempted by an even more traditional approach to a carbon fiber line than that particular series from Rainsong.

A good example I've used is Breedlove. I don't care for their overall aesthetic on a guitar (though for some reason I kinda like their F-style mandolin which is weird) but if they still made their revival series, I'd be seriously considering one of those along with a Martin or a Collings. I thought it was a cool way of reaching a slightly different demographic than their usual aesthetic might, and by all accounts the guitars were fantastic. I see no reason why a carbon fiber brand couldn't take a similar approach for a series or limited run.

I could definitely see a very traditional carbon fiber guitar catching on as a road/stage-friendly guitar in circles of musicians that might otherwise turn up their nose at even the simple models currently offered. Would it be insanely popular and revolutionize the industry? No. But it might get more people interested. And it might sell a few more guitars.

Anyway. Just an idea from someone who would consider a carbon fiber guitar down the road and would be far more likely to purchase one with a very simple, traditional aesthetic.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Just an idea from someone who would consider a carbon fiber guitar down the road and would be far more likely to purchase one with a very simple, traditional aesthetic.
You could have your dream CF guitar this year by talking to the Emerald folks. If it is after market model modifications only then you can pick your guitar and go to it or have your favorite luthier help you. If it is in the build process, then the only reasonable show in town that I know of is through Emerald. They can meet you pretty much anywhere you want to meet in the guitar arena. If your ideas have traction you can bet that they will be offering similar guitars after they satisfy you.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
You could have your dream CF guitar this year by talking to the Emerald folks....
I've understood that Emerald uses a build process that can be very flexible, making one-off designs a real possibility.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Now imagine how much sharper that guitar would look with a simple, pre-war-Martin inspired headstock, bridge, and tuners...
Headstock, bridge, even pickguard shapes are often used as identifiers of a brand. In fact, Martin actually trademarked their headstock shape, and Taylor trademarked their headstock, bridge, and pickguard designs. When Prince ordered his custom purple Taylor Jumbo, it was under the condition that the headstock logo was left off, as he did not want to endorse the brand. Thanks to Taylors unique headstock, bridge and pickguard, no one needed the logo to know what Prince was playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber