The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-07-2017, 10:57 AM

Interesting reading, folks.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
This reminds me of a business consultation I was doing with guy who photographed weddings. Looking at his costs, I showed him where he was losing about $50 on each wedding, before paying himself.

I said, "You know what you have to do, right?"

"Yeah - I need to shoot more weddings!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
"Lose a little on every deal, and make it up in volume."
Not sure that this old joke applies to Alpaca, but it sure describes the sales of the CA Cargo and the emerald X7 when we were selling them at $600. It took some time, but the Cargo now sells well at what it needs to. BTW, I never understood why some builder think that a smaller guitar has to sell for less. From what I was told, it takes the same effort to build a Cargo as is did the GXi, yet the GXi was $500 more.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Some people think the same thing about art... "I was able to get an amazing original Rembrandt!"

"You paid $3,000,000 for a 20 by 24 inch painting??"

Old 04-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Back to the travel guitar question. I agree that the Cargo is an excellent choice. I didn't like it for myself because of the short scale. I certainly wouldn't mind having one at the moment though. I don't think I could live with it as my only guitar though I believe there are some who can. When I was looking I ended up going with a Lucky 13 for my travel guitar instead of the Cargo, but it's sometimes a little too big to drag along for the ride. The L13 is a great only guitar if you can manage the larger size.

I currently use either a wood baritone uke (which I have with me at the moment) that I think is about the same size as a Cargo or a Yamaha guitalele when I don't have room for my Lucky 13 or X20. The Cargo would be so much better than either of the uke or guitalele, so I need to stop thinking about this before I go out and get one. I would consider the Cargo a better choice than a Baby Taylor or even the GS Mini in case you are familiar with either. The scale is a bit shorter than the Mini, but the sound is better in my opinion.

I haven't tried the X7, but I am interested. On another note, I just couldn't get past the shape of the Rider.

Hope this helps.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 04-22-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
..On another note, I just couldn't get past the shape of the Rider.
Have you tried one, or are you referring to the esthetics only?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 AM

I played it for an hour or so. Works fine with a strap and sounds great, but I couldn't get comfortable with it in my lap. This was during my perfect travel/blues guitar quest of a few years ago and I ended up with a Lucky 13.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:45 AM

FWIW, I've had to adapt to playing everything with a strap (even ukulele) due to shoulder issues. Rider needs a strap, but it is one fine sounding instrument. Not a conventional appearance, but a very convenient travel size., and CF makes many of the worries of travel just go away.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I played it for an hour or so. Works fine with a strap and sounds great, but I couldn't get comfortable with it in my lap. This was during my perfect travel/blues guitar quest of a few years ago and I ended up with a Lucky 13.
Guessing your dealer didn't have the NeckUp strap installed. The shape is designed for travel, and it really is ideal for that, been traveling with my Rider for almost ten years, but if playing sitting down, the NeckUp is a must. We actually supply one for free with every Rider. BTW, two other exceptional travel guitars, the Go Grand, and the Vagabond also benefit greatly by the use of the NeckUp.

The Lucky 13 is an amazing guitar, BTW. Congrats on connecting with it.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM

I need a strap for the ukes. I probably would play them more if they had straps. I first have to figure out a cool way of attaching a strap since they don't have buttons. Currently when I attempt to stand and play the baritone uke I play (even more) poorly because of worries about dropping it.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 AM

I add strap buttons on all my guitars and ukes, one in the end block and another into the neck heel (Taylor style). But drilling is not the only option.

You can also get a classical guitar strap with a rubber piece that clips onto the edge of the sound hole and wraps under the guitar, like Willie Nelson uses. I have a Flea which has a little loop at the base of the neck. I clip a wide lanyard from a trade show badge on that uke, and it works fine. One gal in my uke club uses a length of fancy ribbon, tied in a loop around the waist of the ukulele for secuirty, then hung around her neck. That works fine for her.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 AM

Rider: I was actually waiting around for Joe and didn't think/know to ask his office guy for a neck up at the time. I had free time and dropped in and Joe was delayed, so I actually never met up with him before I had to go to my next thing.

For uke straps I will have to think about it. Putting in a button shouldn't be too difficult, but I have done enough carpentry to know that ain't necessarily so and will watch a video and/or practice on something like scrap 2x4 or the guitalele to make sure I have the technique down before venturing to instruments I really care about. Just have to find the time and get the parts.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:29 PM

The trickiest part is to drill into the neck at the proper angle so that when the strap button is snugged up, it is level and flush with the surface. Maybe stick a soda straw or coffee stirrer into the button hole and put the button flat on the neck surface where you want it. That will indicate the angle you need the drill to come in at. A black felt washer or button can take up some of the slack if your angle is not quite perfect.

Any music store will have buttons, or you can order from Stew Mac, Elderly, etc. If you are trying to match tuner buttons (for example) ordering may be necessary. Most stores only have chrome buttons on the wall. I've had to order gold or black buttons at times.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Thank you Earl.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I need a strap for the ukes. I probably would play them more if they had straps. I first have to figure out a cool way of attaching a strap since they don't have buttons. Currently when I attempt to stand and play the baritone uke I play (even more) poorly because of worries about dropping it.
I use one of these, Tom. Attaches to the soundhole.

https://www.amazon.com/Moozikpro-Uku...T2BE12RNJS2T8X

Old 04-24-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I use one of these, Tom. Attaches to the soundhole.[/IMG]
$6 bucks. Much easier fix than drilling holes in perfectly good instruments. Done! Thanks. I will let you know how it works out assuming the UPS guy can find the house this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber