The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-23-2014, 12:30 AM

Default Auditioned Emerald X20-OS today

On a business trip in the LA area, I discovered that a shop in Pasadena had an X20-OS in stock so I drove the 50 miles up there to try it. The shop is The Fretted Frog.
I liked the guitar quite a bit. Things I noted:
- It definitely has what I consider to be a "full" neck profile. Not the largest I have tried to deal with, but definitely "full".
- It plays easily and sounds great. The fullness of the neck challenged my thumb/F bass but I managed to pull that off.
- No boxiness that I could hear. I very much enjoyed the tone.
- The Bband pickup did not blow me over, but it is not bad at all. I do believe different pickups sound different on different instruments through different acoustic amps. The pickup sounded good enough - and I don't play out much anyway.
- The tuner on the Bband is certainly useful, but my eyes struggled with clear focus on the string designation. That's just me, of course, getting older.
- Finally, the guitar really held its own in alternate tunings. I worked on a tuning with a C bass (not sure what to call it) and was very impressed with the guitar's ability to not go sharp when playing up the neck on that C bass string.

The X20-OS impressed me. I am strongly considering this addition. Nice guitar.
Nice shop also.

If anyone has any insights with respect to the Bband pickup or other pickup options in the X20, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 10-23-2014, 07:09 AM

I've got a custom X20OS 12-string on order. It's actually built, but I ordered a custom, pinless bridge and it's waiting for Alistair to figure out how to attack it.

I ordered the guitar without factory electronics. I'm having MacNichol install a Barbera Acoustic Saddle Transducer. I highly suspect this pickup will give me great results when paired with my D-TAR Mama Bear modeling preamp (the best plugged in acoustic tone I ever got was with my Ovations that had the transducers built into the saddle paired with Mama). Decided I'm done with barn door systems.

If the 12-string lives up to my expectations, I plan to order a matching 6-string with the same pickup.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:47 PM

Sounds like I have exactly what you played at the Fretted Frog (mine is a red opus). It's my go to any occasion guitar. I don't use my thumb to play the E string, so the neck works well for me.

I haven't been impressed or unimpressed with the B-band. If I had it to do all over again I would probably go with something else, but I am not so upset that I am ready to rip it out either.

I believe MacNichol's may still have an X-20 acoustic only if you want one quickly. I'm sure Michael can put the electronics you like best on it too.

If you aren't in a hurry, you could go direct to Alistair and custom order your X-20. He may still give you a discount similar to what he was offering a few weeks ago if you ask nicely too. I went straight to Alistair. He's great, but the waiting was agony even though it was well worth it.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:01 PM

B-band is a good sounding pickup, only problem can be string balance, they tend to be pretty sensitive to pressure, a differing break angle on strings can cause real imbalance that is very hard to get right.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM

I'm very happy with the sound of my X-20 OS with the K & K pure mini pickup. I'm even happier with not having a barn door cut into the side of my guitar… and not having to deal with a battery is a plus too.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:43 PM

Question, is the Emerald X20-OS a full sized or travel sized guitar? Also, does it have a truss rod? I am interested in this guitar as well.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:20 PM

Ive not been on the forum for quite a while so just dropping in to check whats happening.
Glad you guys are liking the X20-OS.
Its been a huge success and has proved itself in just about any custom configuration we have built it in, Baritone, 7 string, 12 string, etc.
Codecontra , the X20-OS is a full size guitar with a 25.5" scale and yes it has a 2 way truss rod.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:31 PM

Hey Alistair, thanks for dropping by. Hope all is well with your family.

Believe it or not, although I have raved about my X20-OS ever since I got it, I continue to be amazed at what a fine instrument it is in every respect, and how well suited it is for all the things I do.

Cheers,
Pili
Old 10-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I've got a custom X20OS 12-string on order. It's actually built, but I ordered a custom, pinless bridge and it's waiting for Alistair to figure out how to attack it.

I ordered the guitar without factory electronics. I'm having MacNichol install a Barbera Acoustic Saddle Transducer. I highly suspect this pickup will give me great results when paired with my D-TAR Mama Bear modeling preamp (the best plugged in acoustic tone I ever got was with my Ovations that had the transducers built into the saddle paired with Mama). Decided I'm done with barn door systems.

If the 12-string lives up to my expectations, I plan to order a matching 6-string with the same pickup.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how your twelve works out - I've been considering commissioning something very similar for years, but with a 24.75" or so scale. If it were twelve fret with tuners set up like a Rickenbacker 12 (smaller headstock), even better!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 10-25-2014, 05:01 PM

I've got a custom 12 fret x20os... Also with a custom headstock.

Just sayin. It can be built.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
I've got a custom 12 fret x20os... Also with a custom headstock.

Just sayin. It can be built.
Oh, my. Do you have any pics you can share? I'd love to see how it turned out.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 10-26-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing how your twelve works out - I've been considering commissioning something very similar for years, but with a 24.75" or so scale. If it were twelve fret with tuners set up like a Rickenbacker 12 (smaller headstock), even better!
I ordered my 12-string with a 24" scale (where I'm headed with all my guitars). I also ordered it with a 1.75" nut (my short, aging fingers just can't handle the stitches any more).

I also ordered it with Sperzel open backed tuners, to keep the weight at the headstock down.

As soon as I get the 12, I plan to decide if I want a matching 6-string version. It would also be 24" scale, but with a 1 11/16" nut.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Ive not been on the forum for quite a while so just dropping in to check whats happening.
Glad you guys are liking the X20-OS.
Its been a huge success and has proved itself in just about any custom configuration we have built it in, Baritone, 7 string, 12 string, etc.
Codecontra , the X20-OS is a full size guitar with a 25.5" scale and yes it has a 2 way truss rod.
Alistair,
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for making such great instruments. I have a couple of questions if you are still around.
First, and most importantly, I have seen different info regarding a truss rod and the X20-OS. With respect to the guitar I tried out, the merchant told me it had a hollow neck and no truss rod, but the description on the website says "2-way". There was an X20-OS bubinga for sale in the classifieds a short time ago (beautiful guitar), and the seller stated that the "X20-OS has no truss rod."
I figure you know what your guitars have in them. So, I guess I am asking if there are "no truss rod" options on X20-OS (not that I'm interested) and if that might explain the discrepancies I am seeing in descriptions. And a related question is where is the adjustment?
Finally, and far less important, after trying out the X20-OS, I am wondering what strings it ships with.
Thanks again.

And thanks to all for the postings concerning info on pickup systems.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 10-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Billyg, pretty sure Emerald used to offer all their guitars with a no-truss rod option, but decided to make truss rods standard after seeing a lot of concern about guitars with no truss rods. I'm pretty sure all their guitars are available with truss rods, if desired.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Yep, Emerald now offers, I think all there guitars with truss rod, the early versions of the X20 were hollow. I think a truss rod gives you options which is not a bad thing. Also wood coverts seem not to be able to pull the trigger without it. That said I have a hollow DOUBLENECK Emerald and love it. Just pulled the Ebay trigger on a Blackbird hollowneck.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber