The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Default Cordoba Fusion?

What are your opinions (those who have tried or have one) of the Cordoba Fusion crossover nylon guitars? How do they compare with other crossover guitars?

Also,how does the sound vary between the different woods that comes in?

It comes with either 12 frets to the body, or 14 frets. It is obvious why someone would choose 14 frets-can play higher up easier, etc. But why would someone choose the 12 model instead?

Thank you for your input.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 AM

I have a Fusion RS. It was a terrific value. I bought it on eBay - it was a store demo or something. It was sold as "new (other)", but came with no case/bag, though it still had the tags on it. It plays and sounds terrific (for the price) acoustically, though not terribly loud. I'm mostly a steel-string player, and got this, in large part, just as a quieter guitar, one I would likely play without a pick, etc, etc. It does sound great plugged in, though. The dual pickup system is really cool, and I find a get a very nice, natural sound with what I consider reasonable feedback resistance with a 50/50 blend between the undersaddle and SBT, though, if you're situation allows you to go a tad more SBT, it's even more natural (IMO).

I find the neck to be very nice and easy to play. One thing I'll say, though, when I got mine the fret edges were extremely rough. It made things very uncomfortable. However, at the price I paid, I was willing to take a chance on rounding them out myself, which I did (with a $12 fret file from stew mac), and now there are no issues.

I've tried out some of the Taylor crossovers, and I definitely prefer them, but if you're like me - a steel player looking to dip their feet into the nylon pool, the fusion is a good place to start. It's not a toy - it's a quality instrument that sounds good for a variety of uses, but it's also a really good value, so if it's just something you want to use on occasion or are not sure you'll stick with, it works out well in that regard.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 PM

I have the Fusion 14 RS too. Got it at BestBuy on closeout, with deluxe hardshell case for about $450. The frets on mine were sharp too, but BestBuy filed them down for me. Everything else is perfect and the rosewood laminate on the back/sides is really pretty. Nice silking on the solid spruce top too. I also considered the Taylor NS24ce (about $999) but didn't think the slight improvement in tone was worth the extra $.

I play unplugged so I can't speak to the electronics. Bottom line, I like it alot, it is well worth what I paid for it.

I also have the Cordoba C7 regular classical. Of the two I prefer the Fusion just because of neck width. It's easier to transition between it and my other guitars than the C7.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 PM

I own a Cordoba Fusion 12 Pro with a spruce top. I saw Jaygits posting of 01/06/2011 on this forum concerning the Fusion. Based on the feedback I got to my e-mail to Jay, who works for Cordoba, I decided to go with the Fusion Pro 12. He said that the 12 was more responsive than the 14.

I could not find a store that had a Fusion 12 or Fusion 14 or even knew when they would get one in stock. I purchased my guitar from AMAZON. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Originally I bought it with the intention of having it as a practice guitar so that I did not have to worry about my dogs knocking over my Petros Celt steel string. I now find myself playing the Cordoba Fusion for the sheer enjoyment of it.

The guitar that was delivered to me had a high action which I had adjusted by a luthier for $50. I really like the width and radius of the neck. The unamplified sound is excellent. I do not have much experience comparing nylon string guitars, however the Fusion 12 Pro stands up very well when compared to my guitar teachers more expensive instruments. Before the Fusion all I played was steel string acoustics.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 PM

I tried out the Cordoba line (I don't know if it was the Fusion or GK), but just like what "Ferg" said, the fret edges on the ones I tested were rough too. But I also think the guitars are great values to steel-string players who want to show their classical side for not a lot of money.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music2myears View Post
Nice silking on the solid spruce top too.
I thought the RS model had a rosewood top.

You mean it has a spruce top. and silkscreening to look like rosewood? Are you sure?

I thought it might have a different sound, due to the rosewood top. But if it is a spruce top with fake silkscreening, then I guess that is just for looks, and the sound would be identical with the other spruce top models

THey have one model made of ovangkol wood. I thought that top was ovangkol wood. Or is it also silk-screened spruce?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 PM

My RS has a solid spruce top. The Rose is the one with the rosewood top.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 PM

I have a Fusion 14 RS and I'm happy with it. I had a Cordoba C5-CE for a while beforehand, and I returned it for the narrower neck of the Fusion. The C5's tone was a little richer, probably due to the different bridge placement with a 12-fret neck, but the Fusion does not disappoint, and the B-Band dual-source pickup is terrific. My only complaint was that the string spacing was a little tight for the neck, but a nut replacement took care of that, and that was fairly inexpensive.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 AM

i have Cordoba Fusion 12 Pro.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music2myears View Post
My RS has a solid spruce top. The Rose is the one with the rosewood top.
Yes, I guess I meant the Rose version. (I wonder though, why do they call the spruce top model RS, as that could be confusing?)

It is unusual for a guitar to have a rosewood top, no? How could one describe the sound of that? Brighter or darker than spruce or cedar?

---------

I tried a fusion in a store, and also a GK Studio, and a GK Studio Negra. I liked the acoustic sound of the Negra the best. But it appears to be less of a crossover, as it looked like a flat fingerboard, not radiused. (Or is it very slightly radiused?) Also, a little wider fingerboard, closer to standard classical width, if not fully.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM

My guess is that RS means rosewood and spruce.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM

I have the Orchestra Pro with cedar top. I am very happy with it. The finish was flawless. It came with a decent gig bag that included a neck support.

Martin 000-18GESB, CA OX raw, CA Cargo HG Tobacco Burst, 1890 Washburn "New Model" Parlor, Cordoba Orchestra Pro (nylon)
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Mike or anyone with a Fusion Orchestra Pro 12 care to post the dimensions, hunting high and low to find full specs. I know the following from the cordoba site:

Lower bout: 375mm (14.75")
Total length: 1,003mm (39.5")

but really want to know the upper bout, and body length (lower to upper bout) waist wouldn't hurt either. Just hoping that it'll fit a case I have.

Would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 AM

I own a Fusion Orchestra Pro 12. Here are the dimensions you requested.

Upper Bout-----------11 inches

Waist------------------- 9 5/16

Body Length--------- 19 3/16

Derek
Old 08-27-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks! Much appreciated Derek.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical