The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Default My 1967 Gibson C1 Is Stage Ready!

I've had this Gibson classical for quite a while. There's a great story behind it. I was up at my parents' house quite a few years ago. My dad had a friend of his over and they asked me to play a few songs. I played a couple of my songs and my dad's friend got quite emotional. He told me his brother used to play and had passed away quite a while ago and my playing reminded him of hearing his brother play.

He said he still had an old guitar that belonged to his brother and he wanted me to have it. I was quite touched by the offer and told him that if that is what he really wanted, I would give it a good home. That was a Saturday night. The following Monday he met me up at my folk's with a beat up but very cool Gibson classical guitar.

The strings were shot, some of the tuners were (still are) bent, the finish is all checked and the bridge was coming off. I took it in and had the bridge and nut replaced and put new strings on it. It has followed me around as I've moved a few times and occasionally I'll get it out and play it but mostly it has lived in its case.

But today, since I had this extra pickup laying around I figured it couldn't hurt to try it in the Gibson.

The install went perfectly and this guitar sounds FANTASTIC plugged in. I had to drill out the end pin too. There was an old strap knob down there so I moved that up to the side of the heel so I can wear a strap. I hit a local music store to get a couple of classical guitar capos and I'm all set! I had my system set up and played this for quite a while today and I'm taking it on the road with me this weekend. I'm so excited to bring this on stage with me.

Here are some photos:

Ironically, when I decided last summer that I wanted to play nylon I took this Gibson to a local music store and asked if they could put new tuners on it and install a pickup so I could play it live. The guy told me that for the amount that would cost, I'd be better off buying a new nylon guitar. I've since owned and or tried out 8 different nylon guitars only to now be thrilled with the sound and feel I'm getting from this great old Gibson!

What fun!

Enjoy the day!
Matt

P.S. I'm not 100% sure that it is a '67. I did some searching on the serial number and it seems like my serial number falls into the group Gibson used in 1967 in Kalamazoo, MI.

Last edited by open-road-matt; 08-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Great story. Enjoy the guitar.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Is that a zero fret on the guitar? That wasn't standard for the low-end classicals, was it?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

It is a zero fret!

I have never seen one before and don't know much about them at all.

I did a google search on "zero fret" and read a bit. Pretty neat! It sure is unique to me.

Matt
Old 06-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Matt,

Is your Gibson an all-solid-wood model? It may be a decent guitar by any standards, and maybe your guitar is a Gibson equivalent of Trigger, Willie's Martin model classical? Enjoy!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Matt,

Is your Gibson an all-solid-wood model? It may be a decent guitar by any standards, and maybe your guitar is a Gibson equivalent of Trigger, Willie's Martin model classical? Enjoy!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Hey SpruceTop!
Great to hear from you!

From my research, the only description I've found is a "spruce top with mahogany back and sides."

The C1 was produced between 1957 and 1971.

I'm still researching the serial number to be sure mine is a 67. I would be nice to know. From what I can gather, it was made in either 1963 or 1967.

Matt
Old 09-25-2011, 05:13 PM

Nice Story. This guitar looks very familiar to me because if it is not the same model it is very close to the guitar I learned to play on in the late '60's. I remember the tone was very nice. I had forgotten but my mother told me two weeks ago that my Dad made me sell it when I wanted him to help me buy a 1970 Martin D-28 so I would be contributing something towards the Martin. Well both guitars are gone and I have been thinking about replacing the Gibby. I saw a few candidates on Ebay...hmmm.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:06 PM

My first "real" guitar and the only new guitar I've ever owned was a C-0, a slightly less "flashy" version of yours. It may not match some of the real nice classicals but it is a strongly built guitar - I compared mine to a Mack truck - and I would say it's perfect for the rigors of stage life.
Very cool!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi grampa,
I started using this guitar live in June, when I first posted and used it at every show but one or two all summer and throughout September. It is just a wonderful guitar.

I found a beat up C-0 that I bought as a backup but didn't care for the tone as much. I was surprised at the tonal differences between the two. I tracked down an other C-1 that is in really good condition and put the same pickup in it. So I now have two of the same guitar with the same pickup. The original one in the first post had a new bridge, nut and saddle put on. I think the new bridge and saddle help with the plugged in tone. The second one I got still has the original bridge and saddle and the string balance is not quite perfect. So I may have a new saddle made and have the slot smoothed out a bit.

Ideally, I'd like to get a third one of these that is pretty beat up but structurally sound for when I have to fly. Considering my first one was a gift that has sentimental value and the second one is in about as good a condition as could be for its age, it would be nice to have one that I wouldn't be as sad about damaging should that happen during air travel.

It's funny how things work sometimes. I have been through so many guitars, pickups, preamps, dual sources, triple sources, etc. etc. only to find the tone I was looking for in a guitar that all the while was sitting in my closet just waiting to be "discovered!"

Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical