The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Default Taylor Nylon & Koa

or lack thereof. I wonder why Taylor does not have a standard nylon Koa guitar on their line. With Koa being such a natural nylon wood that has been used in Hawaii for years and with Bob being a hug fan of Koa, one would think....
anybody know why?

I wonder what a Koa with Cedar top would sound like. NSKC-14!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 AM

The Taylor NS series are already a bit pricey. Koa would probably put it out of reach for most peoples budget. The NS series is not a big seller compared to the other Taylor offerings. Most dealers only stock 1 or 2 if any at a time.

Taylor did do a limited edition NS in Brazillian at one time. It was a small number and was more than most would be willing to pay. I have also seen a custom NS with cocobolo and Dream Guitars has a very expensive used custom exotic wood NS in stock right now. The upgraded woods just don't seem to warrant the price. Especially in todays economy.

I think a Koa NS would be very pretty but koa can be hit and miss in the tone department. Even on steel string guitars, koa seems to be the most inconsistant wood to build with. Some builders seem to do quite well with it (like Goodall). Paired with a cedar top, a koa NS wuld probably sound similiar to the discontinued NS5 series. These were some of the best offerings in the NS line. You could probably order a koa NS in the BTO program.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 AM

P2PH, thanks for your nice comments. they lead me ask what is a proper price for a quality nylon? let's say with rosewood and cedar. do you think that Taylor's prices for those NS6 & 7s is too high? If so would it be b/c they are not a straight up classical nylon?

In general would a top of the line custom nylon typically be priced higher than that of a steel string? if so why? it has always amazed me that the price many companies/luthiers can charge (or at least ask) for mandolines and even sometimes ukes. Considering that price can be double that of any top of the line Taylor, Martin or any of the hand built custon luthier guitars.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 AM

I don't think they are priced too high. For me personally, there was a less expensive guitar that met my personal needs & desires better than my Taylor NS64ce. I think in todays economy some people are trying to get the most guitar for the least amount of $. You asked about koa on a NS. It is all about supply and demand.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM

The neck on these Taylor NS guitars are too narrow towards the headstock and will limit what you can do with them regarding Classical and Flamenco play, IMO. They sure do sound nice though.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks Pedro. I'm not a flamenco or classical player. Can you tell me how these necks can limit that style of playing? What can't you do with these necks?

Also, just read Bob's thoughts on a Koa/Cedar Nylon and he says it would make a fine guitar but he simply prefers I rosewood.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post

Also, just read Bob's thoughts on a Koa/Cedar Nylon and he says it would make a fine guitar but he simply prefers I rosewood.
Do you have a link or can you direct me to where I can read this?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 AM

Here's my take.

I know what I paid for my Taylor NS this week. Yes, it was a lot. Do I regret spending that much?....NO!

I love my NS72. The more I play it them more I love it.

I am not a classical player. I am not a flamenco player. I am a music teacher and performer of children's music. I love the sound of nylon and wanted a crossover instrument. I like Taylors and that's what I bought.

They are not classical guitars. They are hybrids and they are nice.

As for the KOA, I think it would be pretty, but with it's inconsistencies, it might be too much trouble. Plus, it would look like a giant uke.

Erik

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks Pedro. I'm not a flamenco or classical player. Can you tell me how these necks can limit that style of playing? What can't you do with these necks?...
Your fingers will be crammed with the variety of pull-offs and hammers that are done in close proximity to each other during Flamenco and Classical play. Also, if you have to let a string ring and then have to hammer and/or pull-off on the string next to it, there is good chance you will deaden the ringing string in the process. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great sounding guitar, especially for the price. If you are just playing chords, arpeggios, or single notes, then it is fine.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 AM

It's kind of hard to compare the Taylor NS series, pricewise, to more traditional classical guitars. It maybe different now, but a few years ago solid wood classical guitars, for the most part started well over $1,000.

A more likely comparison for the NS series would be some of the more popular crossover nylon string guitars discussed here, Yamaha, Cordoba, and others.
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 AM

Play to Praise Him (sounds like a good name for a reggae band)

I found his thoughts on a Koa/Cedar nylon going through my old issues of Wood & Steel. Is is Vol. 60 Summer 2009 (the NT Neck issue)
Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Does anyone actually have (or has BTO-ordered) a Cedar/Koa Taylor Nylon Series?

norm <><

http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com

2003 Taylor 714ce-LTD Cocobolo | Taylor Holden Village GS Mini | Baby Taylor Rosewood | Martin 00-15SM Custom | RainSong Shorty SG-FLE | Kamaka HF-3 | Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 PM

My experience with the NS series - I've owned a 42, a 44, and 72 - is that they are quite heavily built and do not shine acoustically. I therefore think it might be a waste of money and a waste of koa to use it on an instrument whose construction is unlikely to bring out its best qualities.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
In general would a top of the line custom nylon typically be priced higher than that of a steel string?
Top of the line custom classicals start at something like $7-8,000 US dollars and can go for $20,000.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 AM

I don`t know anything about the tonewood koa, never played one.
But just in case of the amazing look - a Taylor Nylon with Koa / Cedar would mean GAS to me.

Last edited by firstsign; 05-28-2011 at 04:15 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical