The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-30-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Banjo case recommdations

I’m in need of a case for harmony tenor banjo (no reso.). Any thoughts, Soft case or hard case, let me know. Thanks
Old 07-30-2020, 10:58 AM

Elderly has a selection of both gigbags and hard cases for open-back tenors...
Old 07-30-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver63 View Post
I’m in need of a case for harmony tenor banjo (no reso.). Any thoughts, Soft case or hard case, let me know. Thanks
Banjos are really hard to get great fits cuz of all the variations, so a gig bag is going to likely be your better bet. Do you have the dimensions?

I really like the Access brand gig bags as they are more sturdy than most, but there are a lot.

Do you have the dimensions of the drum/body? and the overall length? Most good manufacturers give clear dimensions for both.

I also think the Gretsch brand ones are very decent for a good price. I actually have an extra one I'd sell for next to nothing if it's of interest and it would fit.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:16 PM

Every serious player I've dealt with over the years has either owned or wanted a Calton case.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
An open back tenor will fit in a variety of guitar bags. If you have a store in your area your best bet is to stop in and test them directly. As long as you are reasonably careful a gig bag will be all you need.

You could also use a semi-rigid foam case, but they will be large for your instrument. You can pick them up for as little as $40 when on-line places such as Musician's Friend has them on sale, which they do fairly often.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:36 PM

Default Banjo bag.

Thanks. I’ll check out these suggestions.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Anything by Superior Cases that's a good fit for a tenor banjo, and many dealers stock Superior Cases.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-07-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

dont know how much $ you want to spend, or how much protection you really want/need.

I have one or more of the following-i am a gigbag type person, dont need or use hardcases. i have a room full of brand new hardcases for guitars, banjos,mandolins-lol

boulder alpine(basically a synthetic canvas case without much protection regarding foam-just a cloth case really-light, easy to carry, straps are okay but i would keep check on them-zippers good)
https://www.elderly.com/collections/...njo-gigbag-210

access stage one(nice bags, good foam, good storage, good zippers, good straps)
https://www.elderly.com/collections/...r-banjo-gigbag

now, if you have a nice banjo and you want excellent protection, excellent carry straps, excellent zippers, and svelte look and feel as you carry it, i highly recommend a ReunionBlues RBX-LP softcase, around $129. this is a softcase for a Les Paul electric, but works perfect for 11" and 12" open backs. i do not have resonator banjos but i think it would be perfect for those as well. the Les Paul model bag is slightly less wide vs the RBX electric single bag, and it has a slightly beveled foam build up where the pot will sit and that puts the neck perfectly set in the big foam block rest for the neck. the headstock is simply hovering in an airspace all around. this bag is around 4lbs, carries almost with a weightless feel, and you can adjust the strap for shoulder carry and it will ride down below or even with your head. you will not be banging the top of the case in doorways. i have a couple of these, you can throw them out a car window and let it tumble down the road, your banjo will be fine. these are not mushy bags, they have built in stiffener material and the case top, back, sides are firm, the padding is firm, everything is lined inside with the blue slick material ReunionBlues uses. heavy grade zippers, large compartment storage, very nice solid shoulder straps. with any typical 11" or 12" open back, once closed and zipped, nothing moves, its a solid held fit. the neck support on the LP bag will work with the 5th string side tuner that is present on 5 sting models, the regular electric RBX bag has the neck support moved too far up and interferes with the 5th string tuner. the regular RBX is more flat inside(for fender electrics) and doesn't fit as well. get the LP version and you are set to tour the world in protection, class, comfort. the outside material is a dense heavy grade of snythetic material that is not like a cheap nylon. its a dense feeling covering, i wouldnt say its water proof totally, but i think it would take a long time in a downpour to soak thru this stuff. its like a military grade travel material or something.
you can find these at a few online dealers, amazon, etc
https://www.adorama.com/rebrbxlp.htm...rce=adl-umbase

d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 08-01-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I had just seen this on ebay and thought of you:

It is listed as a 1937 Gibson EH-150 Vintage Lap Steel Guitar With Case" At $1500 it's an expensive way to get either the EH-150 (which seems to be in pretty good shape" or a chipboard bangyo case.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Case

Nice, I once taught at a school where the kids were all over the case, forget me and the guitar, maybe they were trying to tell me something.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Nice, I once taught at a school where the kids were all over the case, forget me and the guitar, maybe they were trying to tell me something.
I have travel stickers on my instrument cases from cities and places around the world, many of which I’ve played and performed in. With elementary school kids in particular, the kids are often more interested in the stickers and the stories that go with them than they are in anything else. So I’m used to that.

I wanted to second Steve DeRosa’s suggestion of Elderly Instruments being the best place to look for less common instrument cases. Every single time when I haven’t been able to find an appropriate case anywhere else, Elderly has had exactly what I needed, and at a reasonable price, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-25-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Where are you? I have an as new Gold Tone hsc - 5 latch, thick plush lining (light grey). I'd take 50 bucks for it.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:30 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I just bought an Access One banjo gig bag from Elderly and am quite pleased with it.

There were not many online vendors for Access One. Elderly had the best price, but they do not have free shipping on cases or gig bags. Neither did any other vendors I found for Access One.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:18 AM

For my main performance five string banjo I have a Reunion Blues gigbag for it. It’s the only one of what I consider to be my “frontline” instruments that I don’t have a hardshell case for, but that’s because of the weight. For a while I was carrying a guitar, a mountain dulcimer and the banjo to all of my festival gigs, plus a gearbag for the various preamps and guitar cords. I just couldn’t handle the additional weight that a hardshell banjo case would add to my burden.

An acquaintance of mine, who happens to be a much better banjoplayer than I am, overheard me saying that I didn’t have a hardshell case for my banjo. He said:

“I have an Anvil case for a five string banjo that I’ll let you borrow, on the condition that you never give it back!!

I said: “Thanks but no thanks!”

whm
Old 09-19-2020, 08:05 PM

Me too - reunion blues bags for heavy banjos, and duolians.. Ive a room full of dissed accordian cases too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments