The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-14-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
That's the way the fibers lay in that unidirectional fabric. As opposed to a typical 'weave' where fibers are at 90 degrees to each other, and obscure that waviness.

In a spread tow carbon fabric, you can see some of the waves.
Yep. Everybody knows the carbon weave look that people sometimes fake if they cannot afford the real thing.

What I mean is that photos of unidirectional Rainsong tops, for example, just show the fine straight "grain". Leviora photos often give that birdseye impression. I have seen neither in person.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Rainsong guitars are probably the easiest to find. If you call around to the local shops you should be able to find one hanging on a wall near by. But then again, this takes time to do and probably not worth doing unless you either are thinking about buying one or in the area for some other reason.

Quote:
I am starting to like things that i do not have to be constantly be fiddling with to have good results. One set up and you are done. Tune it and it stays in tune. Time is a finite resource.
This is the reason I am not likely to get too many more wood acoustics. I might get a low end one in an emergency, but I spent three hours with my X-20 yesterday and it's one tough guitar regardless of the wear and tear and abuse I heap on it.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 04-14-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Rainsong guitars are probably the easiest to find. If you call around to the local shops you should be able to find one hanging on a wall near by. But then again, this takes time to do and probably not worth doing unless you either are thinking about buying one or in the area for some other reason...
Tom, are you suggesting that being able to try a guitar locally is a bad thing??
Old 04-14-2017, 11:43 AM

Not at all, but like any trip to town if you think about what you need you can get several things accomplished in one trip instead of only going for the one thing and still not have any milk and bread when you get home.

My work is in efficiency, so I am always pushing the idea of appropriate bundling whenever and wherever.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Tastes certainly vary on this. I know that Emerald puts spectacular pieces of veneer on carbon guitars. To me that feels somehow wrong.

It is totally a feel or philosophy thing. Like the veneer is trying to hide what the guitar really is??? Not that hiding anything is why Emerald does it - but my mind or heart twists it to feel that way.
I'm with you on this as I like a guitar to be what it is! No carbon fiber guitar looks prettier or more delicious--a feast for the senses that I can almost taste--to me than the Emerald X20 Artisan with the transparent green finish! If folks want a wood veneer on their carbon fiber guitar top, that's okay, too, but it's just not for me.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber