The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-06-2017, 04:43 AM

Default PB or 80/20 sings for CF Guitars

I have always used PB strings on my wood guitars, Now that I am a new owner of my first CF guitar, I am wondering if CF material benefits more from 80/20 strings? I immediately took the nanoweb strings off my new Legacy when it arrived and put on a set of ej16's, much better, however I got comments that it sounded a bit dark? Maybe that is because the CA guitars uses top bracing unlike some others? It sure does sound more like a wood guitar than other CF guitars I have tried.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Lots of views and no responses, mostly because we cannot tell you what strings to use. You will hear differently than I do, and may have a different internal "picture" of good acoustic tone. Try out all the options is about the only salient advice.

FWIW, I mostly use EJ-16's, Elixir Nanoweb PB's, or GHS White Bronze nickel alloy strings on my guitars, wood or CF. Some of that is convenient access (the EJ-16 can be bought almost everywhere) and some of that is long life (Elixir and White Bronze).
Old 04-06-2017, 01:16 PM

On my Journey OF660, changing from PB to aluminum bronze was a significant improvement, bringing out the trebles to balance the inherent deep bass of the guitar.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
On my Journey OF660, changing from PB to aluminum bronze was a significant improvement, bringing out the trebles to balance the inherent deep bass of the guitar.
thanks, never tried Aluminum Bronze. I will give them a try.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I'm a broken record on strings for my CF....Thomastik Enfeld plectrums. I use 12s. spendy but after trying a handful of other strings I think they are well worth it....really mellows out the carbon and add richness. My buddy put them on his RS concert series OM and they sound really great.

Also found they are nice on my old 00-17. But not on the 00ec. about to .010s on my old(er) 0-18k.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 04-06-2017, 04:35 PM

Have gone thru a bunch for my Rainsong APLE and the Martin Retro Monel 12/54 to my ears are the best I've found. Not expensive , last well, sound good and I was using Elixir nano's. These IMO are much warmer and took away some of the twang brassy side of things.....
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 PM

My Rainsong shorty has Elixir PBs. Normally I use EXPs but with the EXPs it seemed a bit dark. 80/20s were too "tinny".

My Emerald has either EXP-16s or EJ-16's.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-06-2017, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

I like the Elixir Nano PB's on my CF guitars, they seem to mellow out real nice over time. I love the TI Plectrums on the wood guitars, so it may be time to try them on the CF's. Honestly it surprises me to see how many prefer the EJ16's I don't like the Daddario's on any CF I have tried them on. I guess that's why there is a lot of choices for us.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:10 AM

For me, on a CA GX 80/20s are preferred (I use 0.012, considering 0.013) - they brightened it up, but I'd say they would be too bright for a Rainsong which I find pretty bright already.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
I also use Ernie Ball aluminum bronze on my Emerald X20. I think it's a great match, and might brighten up your tone a bit.

___
Old 04-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Be prepared to go on an extended string adventure!...I've been through 5 years of experiments on my GX.

A few notes...

The EB Aluminum strings will give you some extra "cut." If I were primarily doing leads, they would be a contender.

I just got done testing the Newtone Double wounds. They are great strings that will give you excellent clarity and balance. I gave my spare set to someone who is into finger picking, might be good if you are into that.

I keep going back to the Reds on my GX. They need some break in time and don't last long, but when they are in the sweet spot, you will get a lot of depth with a sort "angelic" ring. Good for strumming and singing, fits well with the CA GX tone and my style of playing.

I have tried all of the other strings mentioned so far in this thread (all good if you like 'em) except for the Thomastk Plectrums. They are on my list to try. I use their blues sliders on my electrics and would have high expectations for the Plectrums.

Have fun testing and don't forget to check back in with some of your ideas and impressions!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM

I'm currently using Martin Retro's on a Rainsong Jumbo and Elixir 80/20's on a CA Legacy dread...
Old 04-10-2017, 02:22 PM

My X20 seems pretty resilient to different strings/tunings. Currently I have a set of core strings I got from Michael Stone a while back. Might try Ernie Ball next per Uncle P's comment.

My L13 seems more finicky and likes the strings changed more often. I think I have nanos on it right now.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber