The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-10-2021, 11:16 PM

Default A video about how Robin and Wayne founded Goldtone.

Check it out.

https://youtu.be/fYnIC0BZRxg
Old 11-11-2021, 12:50 AM

Anyone else think 'Bruce Wayne and his ward Robin'?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-11-2021, 10:54 AM

Thank you for sharing that link. Very nice.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:09 PM

The Gold Tone cello banjo CEB-5 has been a real life-changer for me. The beauty of the cello banjo is that it can travel time and cultural continuums, opening portals to many regions of sound, and a gateway to music of ancient cultures.

Thanks to Wayne Rogers of Gold Tone - together with Marcy Marxer and Bob Carlin - who had the insight, foresight, and hindsight to breathe new life into an instrument that hadn't been around for close to a century.

Although I sell all Gold Tone instruments, it was my bonding with the cello banjo that really became the impetus for my affiliation with the company.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Ok this will probably rile fans.

I recognize and respect they make the best of the best bluegrass instruments and they are an American family owned business.

But I disliked them after watching this video.

They got fined for violating rosewood regulations and "boo hoo -ed " about it being unfair, without even mentioning the importance to our planet.

Then they complained about ebony sourcing, without even mentioning the importance to our planet.

They said you have to buy parts off-shore because here in America you have to give workers higher wages and health care (and taxes), and they don't want to do that.

They might be a wonderful little company that makes magical products. But this video really spotlighted them very negatively, in my mind.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-14-2021 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Inappropriate
Old 11-14-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Roberts View Post
The Gold Tone cello banjo CEB-5 has been a real life-changer for me. The beauty of the cello banjo is that it can travel time and cultural continuums, opening portals to many regions of sound, and a gateway to music of ancient cultures.
Cool that GT is doing that. Cello (and lower range) instruments are very satisfying. I'm a player myself, and also found catalytic means via non-trad (Western) instruments.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
Cool that GT is doing that. Cello (and lower range) instruments are very satisfying. I'm a player myself, and also found catalytic means via non-trad (Western) instruments.
"catalytic means" Good phrase.
Can you direct me to a way I can listen to your music?

Here's an Octajo: an experimental Gold Tone octave mandolin banjo I had the pleasure of working up. That's one of the great things about working with this marvelous company; they're always experimenting with creative instrument designs.

Last edited by Paul Roberts; 11-15-2021 at 10:45 AM. Reason: video added
Old 11-15-2021, 12:57 PM

Paul, thanks for asking. I don't have any recordings down - just some short youtube clips demoing some tunes I was learning..like that one with the oud I had just acquired. My favorite instruments to play these days are hardingfele, cello, bass clarinet, gaelic harp...but I spend way too much time playing accordion .. (I worked mainly as a drummer and bassist)
Old 11-15-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
Paul, thanks for asking. I don't have any recordings down - just some short youtube clips demoing some tunes I was learning..like that one with the oud I had just acquired. My favorite instruments to play these days are hardingfele, cello, bass clarinet, gaelic harp...but I spend way too much time playing accordion .. (I worked mainly as a drummer and bassist)
What an unusual, adventurous, and eclectic tonal taste you have! Nice that you have a palette with such a broad sound-color spectrum from which to explore. Bass clarinet...yummy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments