The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-02-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Sounds like you are in the same boat as I was. Lots of people chasing "affordable" F styles. My previous Weber experience is that they weren't too loud. In fact, that was my problem with the Ellis I tried, but oh what a jewel that was. You should make the treck to Santa Cruz some time and visit Sylvan, at least when inventory picks up. They stock Weber, Girouard, Ellis, and Pava. Mostly A styles except for Weber. The last time I was there they had a good selection, and until the top tier, they were meah. Close to $7k for the nice ones, all the more reason I was surprised by mine.

I have played only a very few Flatirons, and likely they were Weber or Carlson builds, and at the time Gibson was trying to harass them out of business. They were better than the Gibsons of the time. Then, like my 65 Epiphone Texan, they were built side by side, so they should pretty much be Gibsons.

I have gotten to play a few Harvey era Gibsons and they have all been great, and IMHO, the only way you are going to get that great Gibson chop. A lot of them still have the flat fingerboard though. I can get along with them.

It's hard not to get angry at the prices of good mandolins, but build one sometime and you will realize they are not overpriced. I realize now having a D 18 quality mandolin is not a bad thing. I'll leave others to chase the Dudenbostel, Gillchrist, Apitius, Red Diamond dream. They really are that good. Many others are too.

It really does come down to the individual instrument, and I hope you find one you love. The real education for me was playing a bunch of instruments at THE Mandolin Store and finding my Eastman that I really liked at the time, didn't scratch the surface of tone. The master series Kentukys started too, the Northfield F5 S was a wonder, then the Harvey F 9 blew my mind. At that time I cried uncle and declined to go further. Later, I took my Silverangel into Gryphon and played it next to the Northfields and Collings. They were all equal but different. That put a cap on MAS until I bought a cheap Michael Kelly to work on, and found I was playing it all the time. You know, the scroll.........
Well by this post, I can tell we were/are on the same quest As I said, I'm not a Bluegrass player, but I do like the chop of a good Gibson mandolin. I hope that the Gibson F5G has that. And when I record acoustic guitar it's mostly on my vintage '64 Gibson J45 so I am accustomed to the bronze sound of Gibson

Btw the way, that Sylvan store carries some nice mandos.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Sylvan usually has a great selection in the vintage room. They've been thin lately, like all the stores. They also seem to take in older Martins that need work, as many have recent shop neck reset on the tags. And perhaps they have the best SCGC selection you are likely to find.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments