The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
That's really interesting. I wonder if you had watched the videos I did (Doc Watson, Tim O'Brien) and I had watched the videos you did if you'd have ended up with an open hand grip and I would have ended up with a closed one?
I reckon so!

I never gave DDU much of a shot, but I've no doubt that if I swapped it for my DUD in rolls I'd be able to do it fine.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:58 AM

Flatpicker here. Molly anchors her hands using muscle memory from her forearm and gently scraping the bridge with her wrist at times as a reminder.

I use my pinky and ring finger as anchor. They sit on the pickguard and sometimes hug the high E string. My thumb and pointer hold the pick.

I crosspick with a DDU or DDUU pattern. My wrist does the work for the upstroke. My thumb and finger do the work for downstroke. I’m already locked in from how I anchor, so I don’t need to tighten up. I do fold the pick somewhat by pulling in my pointer finger more and use the wide edge much closer to the skin for those tighter notes.
1996 Ovation Celebrity Elite
2016 Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
2021 Schecter Reaper
2020 Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 12-01-2021, 02:23 AM
Charter Member

I'm an open handed kinda guy.

I don't believe either open or closed is "correct" or "incorrect", this isn't "classical music with enforced styles.

I use a pick and I finger pick with only the thumb and index finger involved with the rest just going along for the ride.

In fact I think that the trailing fingers act as a counter weight.

I find that some of my Zoom clients have issues with playing the "boom" and the "chick" differently, with the latter perceptible but lesser than the bass and the runs.

This might help some :

and this maybe

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 12-01-2021 at 02:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write