The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Default humid season coming

hi ; now that winter is over and the humidity moves in, my hands and the neck of my guitars get so sticky that it makes it harder to play . baby powder works for only a little while. Is there a product , besides fingerease to keep things sliding along? thanks.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, start with a good and thorough cleaning (Virtuoso cleaner is great for that). I like the Virtuoso polish to keep that smooth and non-sticky surface but I've also become a big fan of the Music Nomad One product (for gloss finishes only). It lasts and does the job! But in spite of my best efforts, living near the ocean on Cape Cod, which means very high humidity just about all summer, stickiness can be annoying. This is particularly true when I play an outdoor wedding ceremony on a beach somewhere, ugh. You just have to make do, I guess..... If you have the curse of sweaty hands it compounds the problem. Fortunately I do not but I have guitar playing friends who I love like brothers who have sweaty hands and I won't let them touch my guitars, ha!
Old 04-26-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Last Fall, I actually bought a dehumidifier because the humidity was holding strong in the mid-upper 70's...

I live in a tiny place, a converted 60's two-car garage, so I wasn't looking for any sort of large unit - with all my guitars, stereo, cds, lps, and other equipment, there's not a lot of space left over! I also wasn't looking for a unit that would get the humidity down in the 30's or 40's, just something to abate the extremes.

I found a unit on Amazon, a Mini Dehumidifier, that was about $35. It's tiny, like 6"w x 9"h x 5"d... fairly quiet, just one setting (on or off). The tank only holds 500ml, but it takes 4 or 5 days to fill (has an auto shut-off).

I have it on the side of my room that has the stereo and all my guitars, with my hygrometer at the far side of a 3'x9' swath... and this little dude gets that area down in the 50 or 40%rh, after a fashion. Reading the "manual", I found that it's really programmed for a 60%rh level, so, again, this is not for someone who really wants to get the humidity low...

But if all you need is a bit of control in a small room, it will do the trick!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-26-2019, 08:12 PM

thanks guys , i''l try the polish , because i need something for playing gigs.outdoors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion