The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 AM

Default new model

Hey everyone. A few months ago I posted a thread here asking what people wanted out of a hand made archtop. A few of you participated and gave some great input.

After a month or so of designing I've finally started building a new instrument which I think embodied the discussion and input we had. I hope it pleases you guys.

I will be debuting the model a the memphis guitar show next year along with a few other instruments. I started a build thread in the custom shop section of the forum. If you're interested, check it out and follow along.

All the best,
Stuart Day
Old 10-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Checked out the build photos - a couple questions/thoughts:

- The "Steel City" name for a Working Joe/Jane's archtop is a good one, as well as a nod (intended or not) to the ultra-high end Andersen "Emerald City"...
- Don't know if what we're looking at is just a customer build, but as I recall the thrust of the first post was to develop a real utility archtop, along the lines of the Epiphone Zenith/Olympic or Gibson L-50; I'm thinking you could save a few hundred bucks by going with straight-grain body woods, rosewood fingerboard/bridge, eliminating the laminated headstock backplate, and painting/silkscreening the front of the head - none of which (with the exception of the bridge) have a significant impact on tone, and still allow you to maintain your construction/tonal standards at a reasonable price...

Came across this one a while back; almost exactly what I envisioned, the price is dead-on at the $4K mark we were kicking around in the first thread, and with the tightening-up of the market in mahogany the price could probably be knocked down even more by using unfigured, home-grown maple:

http://webermandolins.com/instrument...latin-arch-top
Old 10-04-2014, 03:29 PM

Where is the link to the "Steel City" (if that is what you're talking about)? I got as far as your website from your user details and the guitars all look beautiful but wasn't sure what you were referring to aside from an archtop.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Papol, I'm sorry, the steel city isn't up on my website yet. If you go to the custom shop section on the forum here you can see the build thread I started there with pictures.
here http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=359376

I will update my website when the model is finished.

you can also find me on facebook if you're on there at https://www.facebook.com/StuartDayGuitars?ref=bookmarks
Old 10-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Steve,
I appreciate your comments as usual.

I'm using my 9 years of experience to make decisions on this instrument that will certainty lower my costs and allow me to offer it at a much lower price point. Until I finish the first one I can't say exactly what that number will be but I'm shooting for around $4,500

I've spent a month designing this guitar and I'm really proud of what I came up with and I think when you see it finished you will be pleased. I think it is going to be a real players guitar, at a fair price.

I'm building two instruments. One with and one without a back lam on the peg head. I will see which one I prefer. Back lams add significant strength, mass and rigidity to the end of the neck which improves sustain. So I wouldn't say eliminating it has no effect.

But we will see how it develops. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartDay View Post
...I've spent a month designing this guitar and I'm really proud of what I came up with, and I think when you see it finished you will be pleased. I think it is going to be a real players guitar, at a fair price...
Looking forward to it...
Old 10-05-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartDay View Post
Papol, I'm sorry, the steel city isn't up on my website yet. If you go to the custom shop section on the forum here you can see the build thread I started there with pictures.
here http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=359376

I will update my website when the model is finished.

you can also find me on facebook if you're on there at https://www.facebook.com/StuartDayGuitars?ref=bookmarks
Thanks for the links. I'll be looking at the one over here. I'm allergic to facebook ;)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops