The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I got an incredible sounding E10D-TC from Brian myself. I traded my E20OM-TC I never really bonded with to him for it. I was shocked at how loud and resonant it was.

baw3 - How do you like your E20SS? I'm considering getting an Eastman slope soon. Either E1SS or E10SS because I think I prefer mahogany Eastmans.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:32 PM

I'm curious about what in particular Eastman owners like about them, and how you would describe their tone.

I've played a number of them, and thought they had a more modern sound as opposed to traditional. I don't own one because, when I finally got around to playing them, they overlapped in tone/niche with the guitars I had already accumulated. Their dreads remind me of the tone of Bourgeois dreads -- kind of thick/rich -- as opposed to Martins.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I'm curious about what in particular Eastman owners like about them, and how you would describe their tone.

I've played a number of them, and thought they had a more modern sound as opposed to traditional. I don't own one because, when I finally got around to playing them, they overlapped in tone/niche with the guitars I had already accumulated. Their dreads remind me of the tone of Bourgeois dreads -- kind of thick/rich -- as opposed to Martins.
My E10D-TC has that great mid-rangy sound when flatpicking that I associate with what I hear on Tony Rice records (minus the extraordinary talent). It has plenty of bass but it isn't bass-biased and previously I thought I only liked bass-biased guitars(hence me owning an HD-28). It's so present and dynamic, the notes practically explode out of it. I really should make a quick video to show people what it sounds like compared to my HD28. It's the only other dread I have but it isn't an apples to apples comparison.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:

I agree, my Eastman E10D was definitely more balanced, although it still had plenty of bass when needed.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:47 PM

My first Eastman was an AR605 serial number 1.

Great Big Band guitar unfortunately it was stolen. I replaced it with a AR610 I like it better.

I replaced my stolen Alvarez Yari with a Eastman E6D it is good but not as good.

I'm looking at replacing my 1968 Gibson ES175D (not stolen) with a AR503ce as soon as this current issue is over and our local music store gets one in.

I have only traded guitars once back in 1972 when I traded a Gibson SG for the ES175 I only found out I was sold the ES as new when it was 4 years old. It could have been hanging around the store for that time.

Since then I keep every instrument I buy.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:51 PM

My Eastman E1SS-CLA-LTD is as good as it gets. Powerful bass, vibrant tone. When I play expensive Martin dreadnoughts, I think, "My guitar sounds just as good "
The E1OOSS-LTD is a great player, but not the very best out there. I played a $4500 custom Martin OO padauk/European spruce that I would rather have.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:02 PM

I had an E10SS that sounded really great, but the neck was too skinny for my tastes. If they made it with a wider nut and fatter neck, I'd be all over that.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi, I bought my first Eastman back in 2007 - an archtop. I was amazed at the craftsmanship and the accuracy.

I bought a new Eastman flat-top in November last year, an E20-p, An equivalent of a Martin "0" model.

I also have some Collings guitars which are also modelled very closely to Martin designs and have made a review and a comparison with a Collings both posted below.

It is often said that Eastmans are good for the price, but I'd say that they are good instruments, period.

I'm not about to make observations about tone, like others, they have their own tone, but they DO have god tonality (IMHO).

Old 03-31-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I got an incredible sounding E10D-TC from Brian myself. I traded my E20OM-TC I never really bonded with to him for it. I was shocked at how loud and resonant it was.

baw3 - How do you like your E20SS? I'm considering getting an Eastman slope soon. Either E1SS or E10SS because I think I prefer mahogany Eastmans.
Hi UncleJesse,

I've been thinking about getting an E20OM-TC. Does anything come to mind about what you didn't like about it?

Jim
Old 03-31-2020, 03:53 PM

To Uncle Jesse, I actually had the E10ss a couple of years ago and after I sold I did regret it. That is why I bought the E20ss. I really like the E20ss a lot. It is just a different sound from the other Eastman guitars that I own. I guess some of it is because of the scale length being different. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of the Eastman slope shoulders. Mine plays like butter. It's funny that you traded your Eastman E20OM-TC because that's the next guitar that I ordered from Brian. I should get it by the end of the week. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Last edited by baw3; 03-31-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I was playing my $279 Eastman PCH OM this morning and it's absolutely crazy to say but it's just as good my $5000-$10,000 guitars.
Wow, that's quite a statement...!
Old 03-31-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
...To be honest I actually have decided I like it better than my Martin D-35 and my Martin D-18 M. deluxe....
To each his own and more power to ya!

For me, I've gone Guild.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
To Uncle Jesse, I actually had the E10ss a couple of years ago and after I sold I did regret it. That is why I bought the E20ss. I really like the E20ss a lot. It is just a different sound from the other Eastman guitars that I own. I guess some of it is because of the scale length being different. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of the Eastman slope shoulders. Mine plays like butter. It's funny that you traded your Eastman E20OM-TC because that's the next guitar that I ordered from Brian. I should get it by the end of the week. I'll let you know what I think of it.
Looking forward to that -- you've got some nice Eastmans to compare it to.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... picked up an Eastman E8D from Sun Valley guitars. To be honest I actually have decided I like it better than my Martin D-35... decided to send him my Martin D-35 to sell also. I'm thinking about checking out the Eastman E20om too...
A year ago I bought an E20- OM off the wall, and it remains the best single guitar for sound and playability that I have ever had.
Last January I played a E8D and it sounded better than my 1969 Martin D-35, so I handed the D-35 over to a luthier for a neck reset.
Eastmans are incredible.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:34 PM

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. To Vintage40, I totally agree with you and to JimCA, I will let you know what I think of the Eastman E20om-tc after I get it and play it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion