The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Default J Pearse Slimline or Slimline JR Armrest for Larrivee OM ?

Hi,

Which J Pearse armrest would you recommend for a Larrivee OM-40 ? Slimline or Slimline JR ?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2020, 09:56 AM

While the standard JP Slimline might afford a larger coverage area I don’t know that it would work much better than the JP Slimline JR. After all, if the JR did not work well he would not be selling it.
In the end I think that aesthetics will dictate your selection. Was me, I’d go with the JR on OM and smaller bodies and the regular Slimline on larger Dreads and Jumbos.
I’m a lifetime woodworker and have made my own armrests a couple of times but I found that, Other than arm comfort, it did not seem to make much difference In the sound, at least from my perspective.

After you have installed the armrest of your choosing please post a review. I’m sure it would be helpful to those folks who would be interested in adding an armrest to their guitar.

Blues

Last edited by BluesBelly; 04-02-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:13 AM

The John Pearse website has a template you can print out then cut out the ones of interest to see how the profile fits your guitar.

I have both and prefer the Jr. on everything. It is big enough for your arm and seems to fit well on all my guitars from parlor to dread. You just have to move it around slightly to find the place where it fits the best.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Go to their website.

Download the two PDF template images

Print these

Cut out each shape, lay it in place and see which you like

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-02-2020, 01:26 PM

My own preference is for the original Slimline. I do have Slimline Juniors on a couple of guitars, but they’re smaller than an OM.

Something to remember about John Pearse armrests is that you want enough wood right underneath where your forearm crosses to support it comfortably. If your arm is partially hanging out over the air because the surface of the wood stops before the end of your forearm, it’s not going to be as pleasant as if it’s all supported.

For example, on larger guitars like dreadnoughts, I realized that the standard Original armrests in the right handed configuration were leaving some of my forearm unsupported: I’ve got long arms and my playing position has my arm crossing the lower bout closer to the tailblock than the armrest is designed for. But left handed Original armrests cover that perfectly when used by someone who plays right handed like I do.

So I have left handed armrests on my dreadnoughts and my one Larrivee L-03R.

When you print out those armrest templates, don’t just look at them posed on the guitar and make your decision based on the visual appearance alone, but see where your arm naturally goes when you play. Tape the template to the guitar and play so you get a realistic sense of what the armrest will support and what it won’t.

It’ll be more comfortable overall if you do.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-02-2020, 06:47 PM

Slimline,

I will note that my arm is in a different location if I play standing vs sitting. You want the armrest to be long enough to be fully under your arm in both positions.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-02-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

The wood you need might dictate it as well. I believe the Slimline is only available in ebony now. The Slimline is my preference, but I also needed one in rosewood, so I had to order the Jr. But it works just as well, & all my guitars are OMs.
Steve
Old 04-02-2020, 08:00 PM

Side note, the OM40 is one of my dream guitars, hover between number 1 and number 2 for me, maybe one day, far far away haha
Old 04-02-2020, 08:36 PM

All my guitars have the ebony slimline Jr.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion