The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 01:21 AM

That green sticker is the most cruel thing ever. Wife read it, and forbade me from opening that box until tomorrow. Following her instructions is part of her terms of agreement. [emoji23]
Old 12-02-2021, 03:25 AM

NGD appears to be a dud. It’s a beautiful guitar and sounds amazing, but it seems like it came with a broken truss rod. Action is really high as it goes up the neck, and tried to tighten the truss rod, and I knew there was something wrong when I felt very little resistance. Gave it another 1/4 turn or so, and felt that telltale sign when you feel a bolt starts to tighten up slightly and then it loosens up again (the nightmare of any mechanic). No change at all on neck relief after almost a whole turn. With my other guitars, all it takes is maybe a 1/4 turn for noticeable difference. Sucks I already threw the box away, so I’m gonna have to wait to see what Sweetwater can do about it.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
NGD appears to be a dud. It’s a beautiful guitar and sounds amazing, but it seems like it came with a broken truss rod.
That would explain the great price…🙁
Old 12-02-2021, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Have you looked carefully at the truss rod nut? Could it simply be stripped?

A stripped nut may be an easy fix. A broken truss rod (snapped) I think needs the whole fretboard taken off. [emoji33]

Your description sounds a little like a bad nut because if the rod was snapped, I would not think you would feel that little resistance.

Just a thought.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Major Buzz-Killer! Sorry to hear that, but I would not even THINK about repairs....Unless that offer was good for only that guitar in particular (maybe that's why) they should just replace that.

My experience with Sweetwater is they will not knowingly let something out the door if they think you won't be happy with it. I had my sales agent refuse to sell me a guitar listed as a blem. While I was on the phone, he had it pulled and unboxed, and told me "no, you're not getting this and wasting both our time". He sent it back to Fender and sold me another new one with a nice discount. I'm sure they will make things right for you...just that time is a bitter pill sometimes...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-02-2021, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I had the opposite problem in a Breedlove where the truss rod was bottomed out but still wouldn't get the neck where I wanted

I resolved it by removing the strings then the nut. Adding a spacer. Put nut back on loosely. Heating the neck. Use clamps and spacer board to hold the neck. Let it sit for a day or two.
Then snugged the nut with spacer.

Then restrung and adjusted to desired relief.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:38 PM

Awe man, what a heartbreaker. I wish you the best with it, whichever route you decide to go. Hopefully you can get enough money back from Sweetwater to cover the cost of repairs, or fix it yourself as mentioned above and keep your guitar.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
A luthier from Collings gave me a great suggestion, if the locks on the case feel like room temperature, open the guitar. If the locks are cold, don't open the case.
This is all I ever follow. I never wait 24 hours even when it's below freezing. Usually 4-5 hours max and they're never cold to the touch when I open them. I also open in my basement where it's 62-65 degrees.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dread View Post
Awe man, what a heartbreaker. I wish you the best with it, whichever route you decide to go. Hopefully you can get enough money back from Sweetwater to cover the cost of repairs, or fix it yourself as mentioned above and keep your guitar.

That’s where I’m at right now. I threw away the box so that makes shipping back much harder. I can go to a luthier and get his opinion, but that will cost me money. Don’t want to spend $100+ on a setup just to be told it’s broken.

Thanks for all the good words guys. I notified my sales engineer, and he said he’ll do everything he can to make things right.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
That’s where I’m at right now. I threw away the box so that makes shipping back much harder. I can go to a luthier and get his opinion, but that will cost me money. Don’t want to spend $100+ on a setup just to be told it’s broken.

Thanks for all the good words guys. I notified my sales engineer, and he said he’ll do everything he can to make things right.
I don't blame you for not wanting to spend the money to find out for sure what the problem is, I wouldn't either. I just hope everything works out for you. Fingers crossed, please keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dread View Post
I don't blame you for not wanting to spend the money to find out for sure what the problem is, I wouldn't either. I just hope everything works out for you. Fingers crossed, please keep us posted.

I’m gonna bring it in sometime this weekend and the first thing I’m gonna ask before they start the setup is to check that truss rod.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:00 PM

So sorry to hear about this. I would stick around when the tech looks at the truss rod. If there's any hesitation by him/her then return the guitar. It sounds like you understand truss rod adjustments... why not send it back now?
Old 12-03-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
So sorry to hear about this. I would stick around when the tech looks at the truss rod. If there's any hesitation by him/her then return the guitar. It sounds like you understand truss rod adjustments... why not send it back now?

I guess I want to be wrong. [emoji23]
Old 12-04-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I guess I want to be wrong. [emoji23]
You know you're going to be right though
Old 12-05-2021, 12:54 AM

And dummy award of the year goes to me! So today I decided to fully slacken the strings and give the truss rod another shot. This allowed me to get a better angle, and immediately felt like I bottomed out the wrench much sooner than before. Gave it about 1/8 of a turn, and immediately felt the rod tighten. So that was the problem, I was inserting the key at a bad angle and it was actually going past the truss rod hex and somewhere to the side or underneath. It still needs a setup since the action still high, and a truss rod adjustment can only do so much to correct action. Need to lower that saddle quite a bit and maybe file the nut. But I’m not comfortable doing such adjustments to an acoustic. I’m super happy and embarrassed at the same time. [emoji15]

In my defense, I’m used to headstock truss rod adjustment head. Adjusting from the sound hole is new to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion