The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-19-2021, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Well as you can see its all strung up and getting close to being ready to ship out. Tom says I'll be very happy with the sound which I had no doubt about that but its still nice to hear! As you can see I had Tom install a K&K Pure Mini pickup and he's putting a strap peg on it too. The first one I got from 2019 has been a bit of a case queen but this is going to be sort of the working mans version. I plan on playing this one on stage fairly often. Should be shipping it to me a week from Monday on the 28th. I'll report back with a video and I'll do a video comparison with the Brazilian one at some point too after this new one settles in a bit.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:03 PM

Awesome, awesome top, Bobby! Gorgeous guitar!
Say "hi" to Tom for me!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-20-2021, 11:45 AM

I just received Pictures of my finished md yours looks amazing ill be posting pictures of mine directly congrats bobby
Old 06-29-2021, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I got the Doerr Modified Dreadnought in the mail today and was able to put a solid hour or two on it. Its exceptional like I expected! It compares really well to my 2019 Brazilian one which I'm pleased with. Its already quite open sounding which also is common with Cedar compared to other top woods but I'm sure it will develop and change some with more play. Its spectacular right now also!

I uploaded this quick and simple video of it. I also recorded a comparison of the 2021 Cedar model to the 2019 Swiss Spruce mode. I'll post that on YouTube in a few minutes here.

https://youtu.be/MvaumxkeLJQ

Last edited by SuperB23; 06-29-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

After a couple weeks of playing and owning this new Mod D, I can say that its completely on par with the 2019 Doerr Mod D that I bought.

Those who know me, know that I've played and owned a lot of great guitars from builders like Ervin Somogyi, Kim Walker, Kevin Ryan, James Olson, TJ Thompson, Jeff Traugott and a bunch of others. I've also owned and played quite a few great prewar Martins. These guitars that Tom is building are on par with the best of the best that I've played or owned!! They are 2nd to none.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
After a couple weeks of playing and owning this new Mod D, I can say that its completely on par with the 2019 Doerr Mod D that I bought.

Those who know me, know that I've played and owned a lot of great guitars from builders like Ervin Somogyi, Kim Walker, Kevin Ryan, James Olson, TJ Thompson, Jeff Traugott and a bunch of others. I've also owned and played quite a few great prewar Martins. These guitars that Tom is building are on par with the best of the best that I've played or owned!! They are 2nd to none.
The big impression I get is that you are getting a lot of tone with a minimum of input/effort. And what is also really cool is that you have this amazing guitar built with two woods that are not considered exotic. Congrats!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-13-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I uploaded this quick and simple video of it. I also recorded a comparison of the 2021 Cedar model to the 2019 Swiss Spruce mode. I'll post that on YouTube in a few minutes here.

https://youtu.be/MvaumxkeLJQ
I know it's YouTube etc., but, listening to that, I really wonder what the point of paying twice or even three times the price for a more "fashionable" luthier is? Sounds really great. I was just on Tom's webpage and see that his standard guitars include BRW? For that price? Wow!

I did play a Doerr a few years ago at TAMCO in the UK. Lovely instrument. How does this MD compare to his Legacy model? I've played several MDs from the usual suspects and they are big handfuls of guitar!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-13-2021, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

I played this guitar while at Tom's shop just before it was going to be shipped to Bobby. It is unbelievably nice.. I was most impressed with the sensitivity to touch, much like my MD, (cedar/mahogany) any and all playing is heard and felt.

Bobby could not have speced out a more confortable and affordable guitar. Plus it looks really nice to boot!
Maple Beneteau for sale

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop