The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Shout Out to Down Home Guitars

I want to give a big shout out and thank you to Down Home Guitars in Frankfort , IL.

Long story short. Without naming names, my Taylor 322e needed a new nut due to the B and high E slots being too deep and wide after a recent set up.

I contacted Down Home Guitars and talked with Molly explaining what I would like to have done and why. I told her my dilemma was that I would be in the Chicago area for a only couple of days attending a funeral and would need the guitar ready when I left town on Friday. She asked all of the particulars, specs. etc and said she would discuss it with their luthier, and if they could get the nut blank they should be able to do it.

When I arrived at Down Home Guitars Molly greeted me with a big smile and hello. She recalled our conversation perfectly, inspected my guitar and agreed with my diagnosis.

While doing the paperwork and chatting, Steve came out of the back at and heard part of our conversation that had now turned to music festivals, Hoxeyville in particular. He recalled talking to me last summer about a 12 fret Huss and Dalton he had in stock, and Hoxeyville. He and I started chatting about festivals and guitars...what else.

Steve took me to their large display room that was chock full of Santa Cruz, Collings, Martin, Huss and Dalton, Bourgeois, Lowden, to name a few plus some luthier builds. He showed me a few he thought may tickle my fancy, said give them a try, then retired to the front of the store leaving me alone to explore and play these incredible guitars. WOW! He followed up asking if I had any questions or wanted to take one home. Sadly, I am not in a position at this time to do that.

Molly called me Thursday evening to let me know my Taylor was ready for me to pick up on Friday. The customer service from Molly and Steve at Down Home Guitars is second to none. It is amazing to see there still are folks like Steve and Molly with a passion for what they do.

Although I am not in the market for a guitar at this time, when I am ready I will be making the 5 hour trek to see Steve and Molly Down Home Guitars Frankfort, IL.

Thanks again Molly and Steve!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-25-2020, 09:09 PM

My experience with Down Home guitars is limited to two visits. On my way to a weekend at Fur Peace Ranch in Ohio two summers ago, I stopped at Down Home because of all the good things I had heard. I too found that they had an impressive selection of high-end guitars (also some very nice banjos and mandolins) and that you are left alone in the "candy store" to play to your heart's content. I played some amazing instruments that day.

On the way home from Fur Peace, I replayed some of the Waterloos that I had tried a few days before. I ended up buying a Waterloo WL-JK that continues to be a favorite. When Steve brought out the case for the guitar, he discovered that some of the covering of the case was missing where it had been sitting on the floor. He knocked $100 off the price and gave me a free Down Home Guitars sticker, with which I promptly covered the missing material. All in all, it was an excellent guitar shopping experience. If you are going to be in the area, check their website - they have infrequent but high-quality concerts as well.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the insight. I have heard great things about this shop and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that even though I'm only 90 minutes away I have not yet visited. That will change soon.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:47 PM

I live about 30 minutes way and stop in once in a while. I can't say enough good things about DHG. They are also responsible for the great Frankfort Bluegrass Festival every July. Steve runs himself ragged to make sure things run smoothly.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:46 PM

Nice, I’ve been there once for a bluegrass jam, which they have in-store weekly. Sadly I didn’t get to do much browsing, but I keep meaning to get back there to check things out better.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like a great place. I think I'm going to be in the area in a couple of weeks, I'll have to stop by.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
It sounds like a great place. I think I'm going to be in the area in a couple of weeks, I'll have to stop by.
Do it....You will be glad you did!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-28-2020, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

What a fine website.
They have more guitars of quality than any stores in Los Angeles.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:13 AM

Glad that my first post can be a complimentary one to Steve and his team.
He has been so great to deal with in the past.

Bourgeois: OM-42 Brazilian
Preston Thompson: 000-12FS
Collings OM2H-T, D1-T, O2H, I-35 LC, CL Deluxe
Martin: 1964 D18, D41, Custom 00-12F
Gibson: J45-Rosewood, L1-Luthiers Choice, 1966 ES335
Fender: 1960 Strat (All Orig), Custom Shop Nocaster
National: Style-O

Last edited by tomopoole; 01-28-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

I have known Steve, Molly, and gang for a number of years and they are the real deal...great shop, great inventory, great service. But, most importantly, great people.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:01 AM
Eric Skye

Richard Hoover and I did and did a Santa Cruz clinic there in October and I was so impressed with the shop. I've been to many Santa Cruz dealers all over the country, and this was an exceptional display. Was not a big surprise when Steve got the Dealer Of The Year award from Richard at NAMM a few weeks ago. Great people doing great work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion