The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-25-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Parasite

Just wondering if anyone has seen the movie. I enjoyed it.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has seen the movie. I enjoyed it.
Is it about a Brother-in-Law?
Old 01-25-2020, 10:03 PM

Never heard of it. What's it about? (no spoilers). Horror?
Old 01-26-2020, 01:41 PM

I posted the YouTube trailer on here but changed my mind. I think it showed too much.

It’s not horror but it is tense. Big picture, it is about the things people do to get ahead in life. Nice twist.

Last edited by Sage97; 01-26-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Is it about a Brother-in-Law?
Thanks for my chuckle of the day, Marty...
Old 01-26-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Is it about a Brother?
In my case....
Old 01-26-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

It's still playing at a local theater, but it's coming out on DVD this week, so I have it at the top of my Netflix DVD queue. I keep a DVD subscription, mostly for the new releases. I'll post my thoughts, once I get to see it.

I did go to see "Knives Out" with the entire family this afternoon. Fantastic movie!
Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
It's still playing at a local theater, but it's coming out on DVD this week, so I have it at the top of my Netflix DVD queue. I keep a DVD subscription, mostly for the new releases. I'll post my thoughts, once I get to see it.

I did go to see "Knives Out" with the entire family this afternoon. Fantastic movie!
Ha! I thought I was the only one left who did physical DVDs on Netflix. I do blurays on to get the full uncompressed surround sound.

Let me know what you think about Parasite. It's up for Best Picture. Knives Out looked really good to but haven't seen it yet.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Ha! I thought I was the only one left who did physical DVDs on Netflix. I do blurays on to get the full uncompressed surround sound.

Let me know what you think about Parasite. It's up for Best Picture. Knives Out looked really good to but haven't seen it yet.
DVDs? I'll have to pull out my X-Files DVDs seeing the show is no longer on Netflix. I was on my 2nd DVD viewing run, season 4, when it left. Just getting to the good stuff.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
DVDs? I'll have to pull out my X-Files DVDs seeing the show is no longer on Netflix. I was on my 2nd DVD viewing run, season 4, when it left. Just getting to the good stuff.

TXF is on Hulu, I think. I really do need to buy the whole series on Bluray.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I could never give them up, and for <$20/month, it's a no brainer. I waste $20 on more frivolous stuff in a given month. And with two young kids, we weren't making it to the movies very often.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:26 AM

"Parasite" is a comedy of manners and class differences, almost a sort of South Korean "Upstairs, Downstairs," until about three quarters of the way through when it makes the first of a few totally unexpected turns in direction.

I didn't see any of those plot twists coming. Given how many zillions of movies I've seen in my lifetime, that's remarkably rare.

It's definitely worth seeing, and quite thought-provoking.

Bong Joon Ho has written and directed some interesting films. I liked "Snowpiercer," but couldn't get with "Okja," which I turned off about a third of the way through.

One actor he's worked with a lot is Kang-ho Song, who plays the father of the lower class family in "Parasite." Kang-ho also played a major part in "Snowpiercer," and he had the Eli Wallach part in Korean-Manchurian remake of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly," which they remade as "The Good, The Bad, The Weird." If you've never seen that movie, it's really a wonderful flick, and in this version Kang-ho Song's character gets more screen time than anyone else.

IMdB describes the plot as "The story of two outlaws and a bounty hunter in 1940s Manchuria and their rivalry to possess a treasure map while being pursued by the Japanese army and Chinese bandits," but it seems more like it's happening in the early to mid 1930's than during WWII proper.

Not that it matters - it's completely made up and isn't intended to be historically accurate, it's just an immensely enjoyable action Western translated to Manchuria instead of Wyoming or Arizona.

If you like Westerns with some humor in them, you'll probably like "The Good, The Bad, The Weird."

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-29-2020, 12:03 PM

One of the decade's better films. Didn't think I'd like it at all (family drama about class differences in South Korea? No thanks), but a friend finally wore me down enough to take a look, and I was blown away. Tremendous performances, wonderful cinematography and soundtrack, starts slow and pleasant but once it steps on the gas it doesn't let up. A rare, subtle achievement.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:43 AM

Won a bunch awards last night including Best Picture.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:20 AM

The kid fainting at the garden party - hilarious.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic