The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 12:19 PM
Guest 2223

Last winter times were tough for the family around Christmas and my D1A Vintage Now Sunburst had to go to make sure the kiddo had a good Christmas and that we would be able to cover the bills when there wasn’t much work. It was the best playing and sounding guitar I have ever owned or played. I measure all guitars to that standard and everything falls a little bit short. I hope to be at a point where I can afford another Collings someday, it would be nice to get that one back, but I sold it to CME and it has since been sold so there is little chance it will come into my possession again. It was a truly special guitar that I would never have sold if we didn’t absolutely have the financial need to get rid of the only luxury item in our house.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:21 PM

I've sold high end martins, gibsons, fenders, etc... but the one that I regret is a 1964 Gibson Folksinger F-25. It had such a great tone and the 2" string spacing was so comfortable for single note runs and fingerstyle. It wasn't much of a strummer, but what it did, it did well.

Electrics:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
MJT Tele
Ibanez AS93
Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
My first guitar...a new 1964 Gibson LG0 my parents bought me for my 14th birthday. I owned it for 12 years until my then wife convinced me to sell it so we could get something she claimed we needed.

I regret it to this day.
Ouch, sorry to hear Phil.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM

I may prove to regret selling my Santa Cruz OM, which hasn't sold yet. It's such a different guitar from my LG-2, and I feel that between the two of them, I cover most bases of the music I want to play. The shallow neck is the one thing I don't like about it...I never quite got used to the neck shape after 2 years of playing it. I've recorded with it, gigged with it. It's very solid and versatile.

So basically I'm half-hoping I continue not to get nibbles. The used market clearly does NOT favor the seller these days :0)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:47 PM

No sentimental attachment but I slightly regret part-exchanging a Yamaha FG820 - 12 String for a Breedlove Crossover mandolin. The Crossover is too loud and shrill to play regularly in my flat, I'd prefer something quieter with F holes instead.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:55 PM

What do I regret selling or getting rid of? Hmmmm.

Electrics

1. 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion - this was my main gigging guitar in the 90s, and served me very well. But, figuring I needed a change gear-wise, I traded it for a Vox AC15 Topboost in early 2000. In retrospect I should have hung onto the guitar.

2. 1970s Gibson Les Paul Signature (basically an ES-335 with a Les Paul shaped lower cutaway, low impedance humbuckers, and Varitone circuit) - this was my electric guitar, when I was in college in the 80s. I figured I needed a "more rock oriented guitar", so when I graduated in 1987, I decided to trade it towards a Gibson Explorer. Well, me and Explorers as I found to my chagrin, don't get along ergonomically, due to me not strapping guitars down by my waist. I was ready call it quits, and hang onto my Les Paul Signature, when I got talked into trading it for a superstrat-style guitar at the guitar shop. That guitar (a Gibson Q4000) lasted about 2 1/2 years with me before I got sick of superstrats, and got rid of it. Oh, and to add insult to injury, I found out in 2012, that my old Les Paul Signature was worth quite a bit more than $15,000, due to the fact that it had a tobacco sunburst finish, and Gibson only made 64, Les Paul Signatures with that finish. Ugh!!

3. 2003 Gretsch Country Club - a wonderful sounding guitar both clean and dirty, thanks to its Dynasonic pickups, and the fact that in 2003, the Country Club was completely hollow (no sound post, waffle bracing, or trestle bracing like other Gretsch hollowbodies), that made the guitar very lively sounding. But, I hit a money crunch, and I had to sell the guitar.

Acoustic Guitars

1. The guitar my grandpa made for me - my grandpa (Sigward Rugowski) was a luthier, who not only repaired guitars, but also made them (according to my dad, he made between 150-200 guitars). He made me my first guitar (my uncle told me that it was D Lute in actuality), when I was 6 years old. Unfortunately, grandpa got sick with cancer only a few months after he finished making my guitar (in late 1969/early 1970), and died in 1971. My uncle (my dad's younger brother), who also played guitar, joined the Air Force, and as a result, I had nobody to show me how to play the guitar (I love my parents to death, but they don't have a musical bone in their bodies, nor could they afford lessons for me at the time), and it wound up staying in the closet, in its cheapo case. In early 1979, at age 15, I got serious about playing guitar, pulled out the guitar grandpa made me, and started playing it. I thought the strings needed replacing, so I put a new set of bronze guitar strings on it. Wrong!!!! The guitar originally had silk & steel, and nylon strings on it, so it was NOT built as a steel string guitar. I almost wound up wrecking the guitar. When my uncle the guitar player came home to visit the family around Christmas 1979, he noticed the damage I had done to the guitar by restringing it (the bridge was almost ready to come off), and confirmed to me that it was never intended to be used as a steel string guitar. He also told me that he had inherited grandpa's guitar repair tools when grandpa died, and since I already another acoustic guitar (a cheapo Washburn dread that my parents with halfsies with me on buying shortly before Christmas), and since I "didn't need to have grandpa's guitar", would I be willing to give it to him? One of my cousins was at the age where he was ready to learn how to play guitar, and my uncle could fix up the guitar grandpa made for me, and use it to teach my cousin how to play guitar. I gave my uncle the guitar, and that's the last time I owned it. I regret doing the deed. I would love to have the guitar back, or even better yet, one of the other guitars my grandpa made (I know he at least made OM-style guitars - I saw one years ago hanging from a guitar hanger on the wall in my uncle's house, along with several other guitars), but my uncle never gives up anything, once he gets it, and according to my mom (who keeps in touch with my uncle and aunt - I haven't seen my uncle in years [he's always out on the road as a part of his business]) my uncle may not even have most of his guitars anymore. He may have sold them, when he hit financial hard times about 10 years ago. As it is, I don't think my uncle even plays guitar anymore - his youngest son, my cousin Chris, is a bit of a coffee house strummer, and has a few vids on YouTube. One of his more recent vids showed him playing the lawsuit era Ibanez acoustic guitar (basically a copy of a Martin 'dread, but with a maple fingerboard) that my uncle had played since the mid 70s. I can't imagine my uncle giving it to him, unless he stopped playing guitar. So, I'm at a dead end for getting back the guitar that my grandpa gave me. I also am at a loss for finding one of the guitars my grandpa made, to buy - internet searches turn up zero for my grandpa's guitars (probably because he wasn't a major luthier, and died so long ago).

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 01-25-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post

Electrics

1. 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion - this was my main gigging guitar in the 90s, and served me very well. But, figuring I needed a change gear-wise, I traded it for a Vox AC15 Topboost in early 2000. In retrospect I should have hung onto the guitar.

2. 1970s Gibson Les Paul Signature (basically an ES-335 with a Les Paul shaped lower cutaway, low impedance humbuckers, and Varitone circuit) - this was my electric guitar, when I was in college in the 80s. I figured I needed a "more rock oriented guitar", so when I graduated in 1987, I decided to trade it towards a Gibson Explorer. Well, me and Explorers as I found to my chagrin, don't get along ergonomically, due to me not strapping guitars down by my waist. I was ready call it quits, and hang onto my Les Paul Signature, when I got talked into trading it for a superstrat-style guitar at the guitar shop. That guitar (a Gibson Q4000) lasted about 2 1/2 years with me before I got sick of superstrats, and got rid of it. Oh, and to add insult to injury, I found out in 2012, that my old Les Paul Signature was worth quite a bit more than $15,000, due to the fact that it had a tobacco sunburst finish, and Gibson only made 64, Les Paul Signatures with that finish. Ugh!!

3. 2003 Gretsch Country Club - a wonderful sounding guitar both clean and dirty, thanks to its Dynasonic pickups, and the fact that in 2003, the Country Club was completely hollow (not sound post, waffle bracing, or trestle bracing like other Gretsch hollowbodies), that made the guitar very lively sounding. But, I hit a money crunch, and I had to sell the guitar.

Acoustic Guitars

1. The guitar my grandpa made for me - my grandpa (Sigward Rugowski) was a luthier, who not only repaired guitars, but also made them (according to my dad, he made between 150-200 guitars). He made me my first guitar (my uncle told me that it was D Lute in actuality), when I was 6 years old. Unfortunately, grandpa got sick with cancer only a few months after he finished making my guitar (in late 1969/early 1970), and died in 1971. My uncle (my dad's younger brother), who also played guitar, joined the Air Force, and as a result, I had nobody to show me how to play the guitar (I love my parents to death, but they don't have a musical bone in their bodies, nor could they afford lessons for me at the time), and it wound up staying in the closet, in its cheapo case. In early 1979, at age 15, I got serious about playing guitar, pulled out the guitar grandpa made me, and started playing it. I thought the strings needed replacing, so I put a new set of bronze guitar strings on it. Wrong!!!! The guitar originally had silk & steel, and nylon strings on it, so it was NOT built as a steel string guitar. I almost wound up wrecking the guitar. When my uncle the guitar player came home to visit the family around Christmas 1979, he noticed the damage I had done to the guitar by restringing it (the bridge was almost ready to come off), and confirmed to me that it was never intended to be used as a steel string guitar. He also told me that he had inherited grandpa's guitar repair tools when grandpa died, and since I already another acoustic guitar (a cheapo Washburn dread that my parents with halfsies with me on buying shortly before Christmas), and since I "didn't need to have grandpa's guitar", would I be willing to give it to him? One of my cousins was at the age where he was ready to learn how to play guitar, and my uncle could fix up the guitar grandpa made for me, and use it to teach my cousin how to play guitar. I gave my uncle the guitar, and that's the last time I owned it. I regret doing the deed. I would love to have the guitar back, or even better yet, one of the other guitars my grandpa made (I know he at least made OM-style guitars - I saw one years ago hanging from a guitar hanger on the wall in my uncle's house, along with several other guitars), but my uncle never gives up anything, once he gets it, and according to my mom (who keeps in touch with my uncle and aunt - I haven't seen my uncle in years [he's always out on the road as a part of his business]) my uncle may not even have most of his guitars anymore. He may have sold them, when he hit financial hard times about 10 years ago. As it is, I don't think my uncle even plays guitar anymore - his youngest son, my cousin Chris, is a bit of a coffee house strummer, and has a few vids on YouTube. One of his more recent vids showed him playing the lawsuit era Ibanez acoustic guitar (basically a copy of a Martin 'dread, but with a maple fingerboard) that my uncle had played since the mid 70s. I can't imagine my uncle giving it to him, unless he stopped playing guitar. So, I'm at a dead end for getting back the guitar that my grandpa gave me. I also am at a loss for finding one of the guitars my grandpa made, to buy - internet searches turn up zero for my grandpa's guitars (probably because he wasn't a major luthier, and died so long ago).
I read every word - interesting - whenever there are “musical” strains to a family, it’s priceless - passed down from generation to generation, including instruments, it can take on a whole different meaning, on a deeper level - thanks for sharing. PS some of the content on its own, like the 70s Les Paul/es 335 special run, made me wince - and also the implied commentary on electric guitar “fashions” that come and go, was interesting to read too.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post

Electrics

3. 2003 Gretsch Country Club - a wonderful sounding guitar both clean and dirty, thanks to its Dynasonic pickups, and the fact that in 2003, the Country Club was completely hollow (not sound post, waffle bracing, or trestle bracing like other Gretsch hollowbodies), that made the guitar very lively sounding. But, I hit a money crunch, and I had to sell the guitar.

Acoustic Guitars

But which guitar do you regret selling the most.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
But which guitar do you regret selling the most.
Probably the guitar grandpa made for me, because of it being basically a family heirloom. Though, I would happily settle for one of the other guitars he made - especially since they were steel string guitars, and more suitable for my style of playing, than the nylon string guitar he made for me. Any of his guitars would definitely not be a wall hanger - the guitar would see playing time. According to everybody else in the family, I'm by far the best guitar player, and would do justice to any of the old family guitars.

I'd even settle for the 1940s Epiphone Emperor, that was my grandpa's dance band guitar. He received it as partial payment in the 1940s or 50s, for the repair of a well-to-do gentleman's guitar. According to my dad, the guy was impressed with the repair work grandpa did for his guitar, and told him that if he wanted it, my grandpa could have his Epiphone Emperor, but that it had some things wrong with it. My grandpa took him up on the offer, fixed the Emperor's problems, and it became a wonderful guitar, that was his jazz axe. The guitar never had a pickup installed on it (my grandpa hated electric guitars - it's why he made me an acoustic guitar [my uncle was going to give me a Harmony Bobcat that he owned, and my grandpa would not stand for it]).

The thing is, I cannot find any information about any of grandpa's guitars, or guitar making online (other than a brief mention in his obituary, that he made guitars, and according to my parents, a 1969 or 70, the Milwaukee Journal article about my grandpa being a guitar maker [the article is NOT available online, and nobody saved a copy of it]), so I'm pretty much out of luck with getting either my old guitar back from my uncle (it's probably been sold, or given to my cousin Chris, who would not give it up), or buying another one of grandpa's guitars, that he made for somebody else.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 01-25-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

I have never regretted a single sale.

Many were sold to raise funds to move up the food chain to something better. Others were sold because of ergonomic issues (neck profile, changes in nut/saddle spacing preferences etc.). Very few were sold because of not liking the tone.

It's been a great ride so far

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 01-25-2020, 02:46 PM

I now regret every sale of the significant guitars I had, but most of them were sold for one reason or another, that seemed sufficient at the time. So I have regret, but not second thoughts.

1968 Gibson SG, top of the line, with the Vibrola. Paid $350 for it when I was 18. You could not set the intonation on that guitar to make it play in tune up and down the neck, a lot of guys tried. Now I know how to fix that.

A pair of Gibson ES-125TC's both with P90's, one in the neck position, and the other in the middle. I can't remember buying them or selling them, but one had the headstock come off, which I glued back on.

A real neat Gretsch archtop, hollow body with painted on F-holes, single pickup. I paid $125 for it in 1976, I was stationed in Montreal with the Canadian Forces for the Olympics.

A custom made 7 (or 8) string Tele, made by 12th Fret in Toronto for Lorne Lofsky, I bought it from him in the living room of his tiny flat in downtown Toronto. I think I paid $700.

A mid 50's Epiphone Broadway, with two pickups installed, knobs, the whole deal. Still a majorly cool guitar. I traded it for something Japanese and silly, because the back plates were separating at the glue joint and I thought that was terminal.

After a while I just stopped selling them. Now I have a lot of guitars, some I've had for 40 years.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I had a Yamaha LJ-6 that I stupidly sold to "thin the herd" at my wife's request. She is now out of the inventory control loop, as I mentioned one time she can sell them when I'm gone....

I had taken the pick guard off the LJ6 and tweaked the set up. For an inexpensive guitar it was a nice player with decent tone and looked like a smaller version of a Taylor GS. Wish I had that one back.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:45 PM

Had so many and sold so many years back the list would be pretty long. Acoustic’s -it would be 1930’ Gibson L-5,1950 J-45,193O’Martin 2-17. Electric’s -1957’ Rickenbacker Combo 1000 3/4-only made 11 of em. 1956’ Gibson ES 140 Blonde. Also Kinda wished I’d kept the 1995’ Gibson Brazilian Montana Custom-Southern Jumbo’ made and signed by Ren Ferguson’ and John Walker’ oh well —had to support the kids and such. I’m Retired -old and poor now. The few Customs I’ve made over the years and kept are much finer and will be more special to pass on to the Kids and G-Kids.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:49 PM

I've only sold a half-dozen over the past 20 years but all were consciously and intentionally given up so no regrets or concerns over letting them go. Anything that was released back into the wild was done because they were no longer needed or replaced by something I wanted more.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I regret that I sold a John Walker Wise River here on the forum. Probably should have kept that, but you can't keep them all. If it were in same condition as sold, I'd probably buy it back.

I traded a 1976 Strat I received for high school graduation for a '75 Les Paul. The trade happened in 1977. Wish I kept it for sentimental reasons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion