The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-19-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJEJ View Post
Looking at some of the other 'guitar loss' threads, Nashville and Memphis do seem to feature. Might just be co-incidence of course, but I am wondering if the fact these are music towns as Steve said, that this sort of item is that much easier to sell on the black market locally. Unfortunately, although distinctive, its probably not beyond the wit of the thieves or a new owner to cover up or augment the distinctive head stock time cone design and make it more stock looking...

Unfortunately, my forays into the various threads are making my hope fade a little.

Memphis is a central hub for FedEx. Let’s keep our fingers crossed. It might jus be sitting on a shelf waiting for some missing paper for custom clearance!
Old 12-19-2019, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

This guitar is amazing! What craftsmanship!
Alex, I hope this guitar shows up unharmed in anyway. I have nothing to offer about its disappearance, but sending positive waves your way!

Going back to look at the pics again!..
Old 12-19-2019, 07:21 AM

I want to be positive and hope for the best in human nature and not go down the route that it was stolen by an employee. I think on the scale of things that seems much less likely to me than it was put in a corner somewhere and then got lost. I hope after the season and the warehouse clears out, there it will be...
Old 12-19-2019, 07:27 AM

Aside from all that is already said that is one beautiful guitar there bro. I really hope your client gets it in his hands.

AJ FWIW I don't think that the cheaper packaging option has anything to do with it getting lost so don't kick yourself on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Wilson?!? Wilson?!?

Bob
Oof! I thought about it but didn't have the heart to go there

Last edited by redir; 12-19-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack Wilson?!? Wilson?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Oof! I thought about it but didn't have the heart to go there
A friend of mine just went through a similar situation this month except that the guitar was being shipped to him. He followed its progress from the west coast to the east coast and began anticipating the delivery when suddenly it appeared on the west coast again. That began a two-and-a-half-week sojourn over the FedEx route map that he dutifully covered on Facebook, all the while referring to his guitar package as "Wilson." The guitar is now home and safe, and he's decided to keep calling the guitar "Wilson."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJEJ View Post
Looking at some of the other 'guitar loss' threads, Nashville and Memphis do seem to feature. Might just be co-incidence of course, but I am wondering if the fact these are music towns as Steve said, that this sort of item is that much easier to sell on the black market locally. Unfortunately, although distinctive, its probably not beyond the wit of the thieves or a new owner to cover up or augment the distinctive head stock time cone design and make it more stock looking...
Unfortunately, my forays into the various threads are making my hope fade a little.
I have sent a bulk email out to a dozen or so pawn shops in Memphis- the ones that actually have email addresses- with photos of the guitar. There are actually chains, or franchises in a lot of these companies, so hopefully the notification will propagate among all the branches. If someone walks into one of these businesses with this guitar (as I said in the email) it is unquestionably stolen, and please call the police immediately. There will be no mistaking this guitar for anything else. It's a BAD bet for a thief. Kind of like grabbing a tiger by the tail.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I want to be positive and hope for the best in human nature and not go down the route that it was stolen by an employee. I think on the scale of things that seems much less likely to me than it was put in a corner somewhere and then got lost. I hope after the season and the warehouse clears out, there it will be...
Well said, Tom. I have a strong intuitional feeling that that is what's going on here. I'm mentally picturing someone walking into a room adjacent to the US Customs office in Memphis, seeing a large box there with no shipping label, and calling it to the managers attention... And three hours later, I get get a phone call from FedEx saying the package is located, positively identified, and on its way to A.J. And then it arrives without further incident.

SO BET IT!

Thank you so much, everybody, for for all your input, encouragement, and good wishes in A.J.'s (and my) behalf.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Sorry about your situation - that's a beautiful instrument. I had a similar experience with the USPS on a domestic shipment of two instruments shipped at the same time to the same address earlier this year. One tracked OK and arrived within a week. The other tracked out of the local hub and was never heard from again. I filed a search on line (had to do it several times because the USPS didn't accept it on Firefox and had to download another browser) and it started tracking again the next day and finally arrived several weeks late.

Subsequently, for a number of months I received emails from the USPS saying they were still searching for it.

"Thank you for using USPS.com.
The US Postal Service® received the search request you submitted and it's being processed. Your package has not yet been recovered, but every effort is being made to locate your item(s)."

Then, a month ago:

"Thank you for using USPS.com.

We regret to inform you that after thoroughly searching for your mail we were unable to locate your missing item(s).

We work hard to provide prompt, accurate service to our customers, and regret that we were unable to deliver your mailpiece on this occasion. To help us get your packages to their destination in the future:

Put a return address on the outside of all mailpieces
Include a label with your name and complete address on the inside of packages

We never like to think of anything happening to the mail during transit, but we want to be prepared for any contingency and your assistance is vital to that preparedness.

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Thank you for using the U.S. Postal Service®."

I think with the billions of package shipped yearly, this is bound to happen many thousands of times through incompetence, accidents or thefts. Hopefully yours was stuck in a corner behind the furniture, and will eventually show up. Good luck.

Last edited by Peter Wilcox; 12-19-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:51 AM
Music soothes the soul!

So sorry to read about this dilemma. We all take this risk when we contract with a shipper. Steve Kinnaird made me a guitar with a fretboard inlaid by Larry Robinson. A tree-of-life in all wood. Shipping with the USPS yielded the same result as yours and, unfortunately, the fretboard was never found. Larry accomplished it all over again.

It is heart breaking. If feel for you Steve and hope for the best possible outcome.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Smile Camouflage...

I have a camouflage trick I would be glad to share, and this seems a good place.

I use USPS and insure for $200. That way it appears inexpensive and not worth stealing, we hope.

Meanwhile, full insurance on my Heritage account!

An ugly box with another inside is good too...

We are all rooting for a happy ending to this story!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-21-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I have a camouflage trick I would be glad to share, and this seems a good place.

I use USPS and insure for $200. That way it appears inexpensive and not worth stealing, we hope.

Meanwhile, full insurance on my Heritage account!

An ugly box with another inside is good too...

We are all rooting for a happy ending to this story!

Cheers

Paul
This is actually a great trick and I'm going to use this next time...

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 12-21-2019, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippygreen View Post
This is actually a great trick and I'm going to use this next time...
That makes a LOT of sense. Also, everyone who ships guitars anywhere should put handwritten destination AND return addresses on the box in addition to the shipping label, and also the same information inside the guitar case. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that this time!

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments and suggestions. Still hoping for that EUREKA moment.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:30 PM

I’m sorry to say this but that’s one of the most beautiful guitars I’ve ever seen
2018 - B&G Caletta Private Build All Mahogany
2018 - National NRP Steel 12 Fret
2008 - Collings 0002h
2006 - NK Forster Model C

2017 - Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Limited Edition
2015 - Fender Telecaster Custom Shop

2017 - Ome Tupelo Open Back Banjo
Old 01-05-2020, 12:59 PM

That truly is a beautiful build. While I don't normally follow "Custom Shop" threads, this one caught my eye. I presume there hasn't been any progress in locating this gorgeous guitar?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Any update on recovery? really hoping that it turns up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop