The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-17-2019, 07:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
What a bummer... that's awful news about a gorgeous guitar. I've never shipped with anybody except FedEx and never once had a problem. Hope some good news is coming your way.
I do believe that a positive attitude will manifest a positive outcome.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I've never had any trouble with Fedex - until now.

There's been a ton of traffic on our neighbourhood Facebook and Nextdoor sites about both UPS and Fedex, and how they are utterly overwhelmed this year.

We participate in a seafood 'share' - a monthly box of frozen fish shipped from the Pacific Northwest to us in Minnesota. This month's shipment arrived at the Fedex location 8 miles from our house last Friday. It was delivered yesterday - 4 days later, with no meaningful status updates in the meantime - thawed and spoiled.

The supplier has told us that Fedex has been letting them down badly this season. Thankfully, they are going to reship - we'll see if they can actually deliver.

I hope the guitar shows up - it's hardly equivalent to 5 or 6 pounds of fish, but the mission of the carrier is the same in both cases.
I bet I know the exact place (Pike Place Market?) where your fish comes from.
One good thing about a guitar that's delivered late is, it won't smell bad.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:28 PM

<snipped>
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Has anyone else out there had an experience like this with any shipper? How did it work out for you? Do you have any advice for A.J. and me? And may I ask everyone who sees this post, take a moment and send out some good energy, or a prayer, for a happy outcome? A.J. is a great guy, a wonderful human being, and he deserves the best of good fortune.
Yes, I have. I've shipped over 80 instruments and have had issues twice, though both times were with USPS. Once was sending wood for our Luthiers for a Cause project to luthier Steve Grimes. The wood went MIA. After several weeks of run around and waiting, I secured another set and sent it to him. Ironically, the other set showed up, IIRC, a day before or after the replacement set did. The other time I shipped a uke overseas. For about 10 days, it was lost. It eventually was re-found and found its way to the recipient, undamaged. Phew!

There was another time I had one destined for Hong Kong show up as not advancing to its destination for a week or so. Turned out it was seized by Fish & Wildlife because they thought it had restricted shell in it. While it took me another week or so to get an inspector on the phone, once I did they were very helpful. I had to get some documentation to prove that it did not involve any restricted shell and, once I did that, it was all good.

Holding happy thoughts that your experience turns out all-good and this is just a temporary, aggravation.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:38 PM

So sorry to hear about this Steve, the guitar is amazing and will be very hard to reproduce although I know you could do it, but all that work....I hope it shows up unharmed.

I too would be frustrated by the lack of response and how stupid hard it is to talk to a person these days, done on purpose of course, so as to make it as hard as possible for the client to complain about anything. If we can't get through to them, then everything seems great on their end.

Best of luck on this one.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:08 PM

That is a truly magnificent guitar, and along with everyone else, I offer positive thoughts that it will show up in time for Christmas.

I will add though...with a guitar of this obvious magnitude and cost...never...NEVER...EVER...ship on the cheap to "save a few bucks".

You didn't skimp on ANY aspect of this guitar, design, materials, and execution of build...don't skimp on the shipping, and don't let the customer try to talk you into it to "save a few bucks"

One of the things you get with USPS, FedEX, and UPS higher cost shipping services, besides speed of delivery time, is generally better...services. Better execution of shipping, tracking, customs movement/management...on International shipments, and delivery. Usually, but not always, you get better "help" if something goes amiss in the process.

Going cheap shipping service on cheap items is fine, but going that way on VERY expensive items can be risky, or to use a British analogy:

Penny wise and Pound Foolish.

Fingers crossed for you and the hopefully soon owner to be, but be careful next time and don't skimp, or let the buyer talk you into skimping on the shipping method on such a special instrument.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-18-2019, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

What a nightmare, Steve. I am sorry to hear about this, and the run around FedEx is giving you. I sure hope it gets found soon.

It's always a risk when shipping a guitar, sad but true.

The only other vendor i can think to try is DHL Express. I just had a ukulele shipped from Nicaragua to me here in Maui by DHL Express and it was seamless and took 5 days. Easy tracking and text notifications every step of the way. My first experience with them.

I think Jason Kostal and Guitar Gallery had a similar experience last year with a lost fedex guitar that eventually was found, i read about here on AGF. I sure hope yours has an eventual happy ending.

-Charles
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

This is a heartbreaking situation for the builder of this unique instrument and his client.

I have imported three guitars from the USA two from private individuals and one from a Dealer in Seattle which was the only one that was problematice because they didn't follow the instructions for HM C&E properly thinking the could fool the British authorities which cost me more expense than was necessary.

I suspect that this shipment will arrive in time but, of course there wwill be concern about how/where it is being stored.

Might I suggest that AJ also attempts to trace the shipment from the UK side.

I thinking that there is a backlog due to Christmas.

I sincerely hope that this wonderful instrument finally reaches its destination.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:35 AM

Horrible news! Please keep us posted.

Years ago, my friend Kim Walker shipped a guitar from his shop in Connecticut to Mandolin Brothers, on Staten Island, New York. The guitar never arrived, and to this day has never turned up.

Bad stuff happens.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

I just remembered - I had one lost shipment. After resisting for some time, I decided o put my lot in with Blue Chip picks and ordered one for every guitar (and mandolin).
I ordered, they shipped ....nothing, nuts, nada.

We liaised. They re-shipped but NOT in a large red,white and blue envelope that screamed "herein there by lots of great BC picks!"

Messrs Goins were fairly convinced that there was a guitarist working in the local USPS sorting office.

In future orders I asked them to ship "plain brown wrapper."

This doesn't help the OP and his client AJ. I sincerely hope that this instrument reaches its destination and in good order.

Further, I hope that it is delivered by the last Fedex driver to knock on my door! An attractive smiley young lady in shorts! Made my day!
Old 12-18-2019, 05:20 AM

Maybe would be good to include a tracker inside the package, just in case this happens. Really sucks... Hope the guitar arrives safely to his new home. Not a cool situation to be in.

Good luck

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 12-18-2019, 06:39 AM

Unfortunately the shipping companies are all in the same poor situation. I’ve been in some facilities a couple of times and the way they handle packages is horrifying.
Competition and cost cutting leads to overworked under qualified operators across the board. I hope you did insure your guitar.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat5 View Post
I’ve been in some facilities a couple of times and the way they handle packages is horrifying.
I used to work for FedEx and never saw one instance that I would deem horrifying. We were usually crushed for time, especially during the holiday season. We simply didn't have time to handle every package with the care with which we would handle our own. I saw packages marked, "Handle with care," or, "Fragile," that were pushed or slid, but I never saw one that was thrown or handled in a disturbing manner. Certainly not to say it doesn't happen, but it wasn't the norm.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I used to work for FedEx and never saw one instance that I would deem horrifying. We were usually crushed for time, especially during the holiday season. We simply didn't have time to handle every package with the care with which we would handle our own. I saw packages marked, "Handle with care," or, "Fragile," that were pushed or slid, but I never saw one that was thrown or handled in a disturbing manner. Certainly not to say it doesn't happen, but it wasn't the norm.

Really my intention wasn’t to offend anyone. I saw packages literally thrown around the place in ways that made me cringe. In both instances that wasn’t FedEx though.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
That is a truly magnificent guitar, and along with everyone else, I offer positive thoughts that it will show up in time for Christmas.

I will add though...with a guitar of this obvious magnitude and cost...never...NEVER...EVER...ship on the cheap to "save a few bucks".

You didn't skimp on ANY aspect of this guitar, design, materials, and execution of build...don't skimp on the shipping, and don't let the customer try to talk you into it to "save a few bucks"

One of the things you get with USPS, FedEX, and UPS higher cost shipping services, besides speed of delivery time, is generally better...services. Better execution of shipping, tracking, customs movement/management...on International shipments, and delivery. Usually, but not always, you get better "help" if something goes amiss in the process.

Going cheap shipping service on cheap items is fine, but going that way on VERY expensive items can be risky, or to use a British analogy:

Penny wise and Pound Foolish.

Fingers crossed for you and the hopefully soon owner to be, but be careful next time and don't skimp, or let the buyer talk you into skimping on the shipping method on such a special instrument.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
I believe the OP acted in total due diligence since most folks (including the OP and myself) have had minimal issues with FedEx. I’m sure the guitar is insured for a circumstance as this also.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat5 View Post
Really my intention wasn’t to offend anyone. I saw packages literally thrown around the place in ways that made me cringe. In both instances that wasn’t FedEx though.
Flat, you didn't offend me at all. I was just relating my past experience for what little that's worth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop