The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Deep bodied OMs: Yay or Nay?
Yay 95 57.23%
Nay 71 42.77%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 AM

I voted yay because I only play in tunings some down to 'C' and 'B' on the bottom end, the lesser tension on the bottom invariably equates to less volume and 'fullness' of tone so I find the deeper body helps keep an overall more balanced sound.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Sixxstringer, I have to chime in and tell you what a gorgeous guitar that is. I particularly like the peghead inlay:

Did you design that yourself, get a graphic artist friend to design it for you, or did you just tell Martin that you wanted an evergreen tree in abalone with a mother of pearl full moon and that's what Martin came up with?

The reason I ask is that, after a number of custom instrument orders of my own, I've come to appreciate how difficult it is to design an inlay as effective as that one. Anyone can come up with a complex design that looks intriguing when you're three feet away from it, but most of those designs come out looking like iridescent blobs once you step back and view them from across a room.

That one is artistically successful.

Wade Hampton Miller

Well, sorta yes and sorta no! I researched dozens of websites for photos and/or drawings of Pine/spruce trees and pine cones. After finding what I wanted, I did a basic layout of the design, and then left it to Martin's artists to do the rest. I have to tell you, I nearly cried I was so pleased when I saw the artwork completed (prior to the guitar being done), and the whole "end product" is beyond my wildest dreams.

For those discussing the "spruce over mahogany" vs. "spruce over rosewood"...my guitar is carpathian spruce over madagascar, and I still--after five months with it--shake my head in amazement and joy when picking the first few notes with it!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
Interesting stuff. I think I'll talk with Richard Hoover from Santa Cruz my self and see what he thinks about deep bodies.

Not a knock on Richard in any way, shape, or manner ...

Part of being a guitar builder and seller is being a salesman. If a salesperson detects interest on your part in something they can offer you, the natural tendency is to reinforce that interest.

Ah, you might say, this builder/seller also has regular OMs for sale. True. But, not every competing builder/seller has deep-body OMs for sale. If you are interested in a deep body OM, quite a few competing builder/sellers are knocked out of the loop. This is something a seller of deep body OMs is aware of.

I am ascribing no ill intent on anyone's part. But, there is an instinctive tendency for a seller to build on what he perceives as a buyer's interest, if it is an interest he can satisfy. Why throw cold water on a budding flame?

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:39 PM

As for your situation, a deep-body OM may or may not be perfect. Only you will know, only you can tell.

For me, deep-body OMs are a "neither fish nor fowl" proposition. They don't have what I like about OMs. And they don't have what I like about larger-bodied guitars, such as a GA, GS, Jumbo, or Dread.

Generally, if I want more sound out of a guitar, increasing the size of the soundboard is the first place I would start. And the second and third, as well.

But, that's me.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Just as a counterpoint - Richard has no need or desire to sell anyone a guitar that they would not be thrilled with. I've seen him talk more than one person out of a particular wood choice or modification because he knew it would not achieve what he buyer was looking for, sonically. That said, if you come to him absolutely dead-set on a specific number of design and material choices, he'll build you the best guitar possible with those -

Elizabeth is right - a deep body OM won't take anything away. But it will change the sound and feel of the guitar through addition. Many people choose an OM because they don't like the depth of a dread, so making an OM with a dread depth is like choosing the worst of two designs - a smaller soundboard, and a deeper body to reach over. But for others, it is bringing together the advantages - the smaller body size, and the increased air chamber. It's just a different pairing, and in the hands of an extremely experienced builder, like Richard Hoover, you can end up with a fantastic instrument.

I have 2 SC deep bodied 000's - mahogany/sitka, a limited edition Norman Blake model, and a koa/adi custom. Both offer incredible depth and bass, articulate and warm, each slightly different from the other. I also have 2 of the model H (Not to be confused with the model H13) which are smaller, and have a much shallower body. They do not offer the depth and bass, but they are ergonomically much easier to play, and have a brightness and crispness that the deep bodies lack. I love having all 4, and am extremely happy that so far, I don't have to choose only one ( or 2, or even 3 ).

The OM is a truly versatile instrument, and if you like it, but feel it lacks some bass presence for your style of playing, then a deep body may satisfy that. But Richard can modify the materials used, or the bracing design or shape, maybe a PW, or you may also find a 000 ( or other 12 fretter ) may suit you, if you don't mind giving up easy access to a couple frets. I'm absolutely no expert, but Richard is, and if you're thinking of a Santa Cruz, I would make it a point to check the website, know exactly what sound you really want, and talk to him about it. I'm sure he can build you something you'd love -
Old 01-25-2020, 12:10 AM

Disregard. Too late to be typing.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:29 AM

I have a new Custom 000-18GE with the deep body option and I love it.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larpy View Post
I'm with Wade on this. It's "yay" for some and "nay".
It all depends on what you're looking for. But the added bass and slightly bigger sound comes at the expense of some of the traditional OM's charm. It becomes a different guitar, more of a mini-jumbo than an OM.
This +++++

As an older player (68 years young) I have gravitated to 90% fingerstyle playing and small body guitars, parlor, 00, 000, OM, and finally my Martin M-36. I have both 12 and 14 fret instruments as well as varying scale lengths representing several makers. None of my instruments are “deep body”. Should I need the deep body boom I can rely on one of two dreadnoughts that have been with me a long time.
Measure a standard OM compared to a Dreadnought and you’ll find the upper and lower bouts to be similar in dimension with the pinched waist of the OM and the depth of the Dread being the major differences. I select the guitar according to the tone I want.

Blues
Old 01-25-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

If you want something closer to dreadnought sound in a way more comfortable body, a deep body OM has some appeal. I've owned two.

I do think they work better with a long/standard scale length and brighter tone wood like mahogany (over Indian rosewood, for example). Although the Pat Donahue 000-30DB is an awesome sounding guitar. Throaty and warm. Depends on playing style too. If you're a strong flat picker, they work well and are loud. If you have a plunkier finger style approach, I suspect you'll prefer the standard OM.

All said, in the end, I've come to realize the 12-fret 000 body size with the standard scale may be the very best of both worlds. I seem to prefer every 12-fret I come across for depth of tone while keeping that famous OM projection.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

I voted nay. I think that there are proportions of width and depth that have been agreed upon over all the years, that just work. I think when you change those proportions gratuitously, you risk coming up with something that just doesn't sound very good to most people.
Going in the opposite direction, I use the new narrow-body Martin Dreads as an example. They look nice and feel nice, but they don't even have the oomph of a good OM.

If I wanted a deeper body, I'd look to a GP and keep the proportions in line with what has been proven to work.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:13 PM

I was looking for a guitar that was a bit smaller than a Dred for comfort.
Most smaller guitars didn't have the sound that I was looking for.
I wanted the sound of a Dred in a smaller package.

What I wound up with was a Washburn Grand Auditorium.
I love the sound of this guitar. It is close to a Dred.
I attribute this to the deep body.

The guitar is more comfortable than my Dreds and it sounds great.
Win Win.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:15 PM

Very old thread. After being overwhelmed with bass on my OM-21, my answer will be obvious. Deep body isn’t OM, sorry.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 PM

A competent Luthier can build into any Guitar Dimension/shape/size Tonal Balance. It’s all in the Seasoned Woods and how it’s crafted. For a Factory made Guitar. The 0M is what it is. Just like the The Revered Gibson J-185.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 PM

I voted Nay, but not because it had an adverse affect on the sound or tone - in fact, just the opposite.

It DID affect my comfort level playing the guitar, thereby the Nay.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-25-2020, 01:59 PM

Just let your ears decide - not your resistant brains. I've owned and played magnificent DB OM's. I've never sampled one and thought "this just messes up the best of the OM." In fact, here's one of my deep bodied OM guitars. I wish I just had an audio of it but I don't so here's Steve DeVries playing my Kinnaird deep body OM. Great headphones are better than computer speakers.
I would wager anyone who has said nay to blind-sample three OM's with one (blind of course) being a deep body and challenge you to dislike it. I feel the deep body, on a quality build, simply enhances the best of the OM not the other way. I've never seen a DB design degrade the tone of an OM at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWf2sdsLspU

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion