The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Your Guitar To Have a Pickguard?
Yes 81 60.00%
No 54 40.00%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I never understood why more manufacturers did not just do like FB and include it in the case. Let the player decide if they want it or not.

I agree put them in the case for the buyer to decide.
But I guess the dealers prefer them so guitars do not get scratched up in the showroom.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
I agree put them in the case for the buyer to decide.
But I guess the dealers prefer them so guitars do not get scratched up in the showroom.
.. and would the maker still cover the warranty if the owner messed up the guitar trying to put it on and getting it all wrong?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-25-2020, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Depends on the guitar's use , for me. My 000-18 has a pickguard and I use it for heavy thumb picking (Travis/Watson) and bluegrass flatpicking. On the other hand, my Brook Torridge has neither a pickguard nor an endpin - it is used for more classical/Celtic/folk fingerstyle type things and I treat it more as a classical guitar with steel strings and it's never been played with a pick.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Depends on the guitar and the pickguard.
Yep. What Paul said...

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 01-25-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
If there is to be a pickguard, I'd prefer it to be clear. Why have great wood, then hide it?
That's what I did with my Taylor BTO with sinker redwood top, it has a clear pickguard to show the wood.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:44 PM

I learned my lesson when a friend picked up my cedar-topped Lowden and used metal finger picks on it.

All my guitars that don't have a guard now get the thin clear guard attached with the water float application method. (courtesy Frank Ford's excellent instructions...)

It's very unobtrusive and protects well.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 PM
Eric Skye

I prefer no guard. Ten years of flatpciking with not scratches. I guess I've got good aim
Old 01-25-2020, 11:03 PM

I'd prefer not to have a pick guard, bit all four of my acoustics have one. They were just made that way.

Two of them are clear, almost invisible.

So although I don't care for one, having one won't prevent me from purchasing a guitar that I otherwise like.

My flamenco has to have one, and my old parlor had one, long missing. But the outline of where it was is so obvious I'll have to get around to replace it sometime.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:01 AM

Poll needs a "Whatever" option.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Depends on the guitar and the pickguard.
My thought as well.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:18 AM

It's no big deal to me. If it has one and I would prefer that guitar to not have one I simply remove it. Some guitars look great with one, some don't. There is no one answer.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:21 AM

I think the answer is easy: Clear guard.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:57 AM

I prefer having a pickguard. I have a pretty accurate right hand attack these days, and don’t scratch up my guitars, but when I first started playing I was pretty heavy-handed. It would have been a bad idea for me to go without a pickguard back then.

It’s still a bad idea to go without a pickguard when other people play my guitars. I’m a fairly genial guy when it comes to letting other players try out my guitars; in fact, I really enjoy hearing them played by other accomplished musicians. But a pickguard is mandatory in those circumstances.

I’ve got one good friend and frequent musical partner who’s a much better guitarist than I am and has been playing considerably longer, yet he doesn’t have as precise a right hand attack as I have. When at a party I let him play the one guitar I own that doesn’t have a pickguard, sure enough, it got marked up.

Not badly, but noticeably.

I’d rather have my friends enjoy my guitars rather than hovering nervously over them when they play them, so for me it’s a good idea to have pickguards on my guitars.

As for clear pickguards, I’m sorry, but those just remind me WAY too much of the clear vinyl furniture covers several of my friends’ mothers had on their living room furniture when I was a kid.

Imagine this: it’s a hot, humid Kansas City summer in the late 1950’s or early 1960’s, it’s over 100 degrees Fahrenheit with 100% humidity, and none of the houses on our block have central air conditioning. Imprisoned by politeness and forced to visit briefly with my friend’s mother, I sit on a chair covered by a clear vinyl furniture cover, and in the muggy air I feel my skin gluing itself to the vinyl. When finally given leave to go outside and play with my buddy, I have to literally PEEL MYSELF OFF the vinyl.

No thank you. No thank you very much. I don’t want anything that reminds me of that anywhere within two miles of any of my musical instruments. As for the supposedly beautiful wood grain that I should be eager to keep ever within my sight: really? Spruce is not all that exciting, for the most part. Besides, I can still see most of it when I have a pickguard mounted on the guitar.

You know, in case I want to gaze adoringly at it or anything....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-26-2020, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

This is partially about Usage, partially about aesthetics, and partially about design.
Dreads : Yes
Jumbo (Roy Smeck) Yes
12 string dread - yes
12 string jumbo - Yes
000 yes
00 - no.
0 - no -but it has a small one and that's OK.
Archtops - no
National reso - no
Mando - no.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

...I gotta have a pickguard as I am a pinky rester a lot of the time...doesn’t take long at all for me to start wrecking the finish...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion