The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-25-2020, 07:45 AM

Default Tonewood Suppliers?

As the title suggests I am interesting in seeing which suppliers you find reputable and easy to work with?
Old 09-25-2020, 09:25 AM

A big supplier of tone woods to the major guitar companies come from

http://pacificrimtonewoods.com

The are located in Northern Washington state, in a town by the name of CONCRETE.

I have no idea if you can buy directly from them, but I doubt it.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
A big supplier of tone woods to the major guitar companies come from

http://pacificrimtonewoods.com

The are located in Northern Washington state, in a town by the name of CONCRETE.

I have no idea if you can buy directly from them, but I doubt it.

Yeah I checked them out and they seem to be a big supplier for major companies. They don't have any purchasing options on their site so I guess they only cater to larger company / luthier orders.

Thanks anyways for the response.

Nahil.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:09 AM

I can list a few I have used over the years:

LMI
Steward MacDonald
RC Tonewoods
Hix Tonewoods
Alaska Specialty Woods
Old World Tone wood
West Penn hardwoods
Eurotonewood
Allied Luthrie
Collonial Tonewoods
Old 09-25-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I can list a few I have used over the years:

LMI
Steward MacDonald
RC Tonewoods
Hix Tonewoods
Alaska Specialty Woods
Old World Tone wood
West Penn hardwoods
Eurotonewood
Allied Luthrie
Collonial Tonewoods

Thanks Redir!

There are a few that you've listed that I have not checked out

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2020, 12:36 PM

I've bought multiple times from all these sellers with consistently excellent results:

Sellers with websites:
RC Tonewoods
Alaska Specialty Woods
Gilmer Wood Company
Fiddleback Wood Shack
Wood From the West
Pacific Coast Woods

ebay sellers:
zootman2 (ebay handle for RC Tonewoods)
ahix1176 (ebay handle for A Hix Tonewood)
shabbychicguitars
eurotonewood
exoticwoodzone
Old 09-25-2020, 01:52 PM

Add the Hampton Brothers to that stellar list. They are harvesters of domestics (red spruce from NC and WV, black locust, black walnut, curly maple, etc.) and supply many of the more well-known tone wood vendors. They don't have a website yet, but do offer a sample of their inventory on Ebay. Recent acquisitions include some amazing quilted sapele, curly black walnut, and Guatemalan rosewood.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Add the Hampton Brothers to that stellar list. They are harvesters of domestics (red spruce from NC and WV, black locust, black walnut, curly maple, etc.) and supply many of the more well-known tone wood vendors. They don't have a website yet, but do offer a sample of their inventory on Ebay. Recent acquisitions include some amazing quilted sapele, curly black walnut, and Guatemalan rosewood.

Thanks John, I'll be sure to check them out.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Your local Hardwood Lumber yard is hard to beat. Yes, you have to know what you’re doing, but you will learn quickly; in twenty years you’ll be a master! You or a close associate will need a resaw.

I have built many instruments from wood I cut in my local forests, or from the yards Of my neighbors. With permission, of course. You or a close associate will also need a chainsaw.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Your local Hardwood Lumber yard is hard to beat. Yes, you have to know what you’re doing, but you will learn quickly; in twenty years you’ll be a master! You or a close associate will need a resaw.

I have built many instruments from wood I cut in my local forests, or from the yards Of my neighbors. With permission, of course. You or a close associate will also need a chainsaw.

Unfortunately Oman doesn't have much local timber (we do have date palms and frankincense) but nothing in terms of tonewoods.

The lumber yards here are generally overpriced and you'd be hard pressed to find anything close to quarter sawn. Nonetheless my obsession with wood doesn't stop me from strolling around and seeing what they've got.

Cheers,

Nahil.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
Unfortunately Oman doesn't have much local timber (we do have date palms and frankincense) but nothing in terms of tonewoods.
A "tonewood" is simply any wood that someone has used twice to make an instrument. Somebody tried it once, found it worked well enough for the purpose and used it again. Don't be limited to just the popular wood choices for guitars - rosewood, maple, mahogany, Koa and spruce. Date palms won't be a great choice, but there are many, many other possibilities.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
A "tonewood" is simply any wood that someone has used twice to make an instrument. Somebody tried it once, found it worked well enough for the purpose and used it again. Don't be limited to just the popular wood choices for guitars - rosewood, maple, mahogany, Koa and spruce. Date palms won't be a great choice, but there are many, many other possibilities.
Thanks Charles, now i'm going down the rabbit hole of researching local Omani timbers
Old 09-29-2020, 05:07 PM

It's a good use of time to peruse the resources at www.mimf.com . There are builders, suppliers, newbies, old hands, famous builders, and everything in between. Plus the way the place is set up involves moderators who cull old messages to preserve the material that involves substance from someone who has experience, so if you do research there, you'll find material that's worth reading. It's an excellent place to learn and to get good answers to questions just like yours. It's a nice complement to this site: a different place with a different purpose, but it dovetails well.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 09-30-2020, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeinatedOne View Post
It's a good use of time to peruse the resources at www.mimf.com . There are builders, suppliers, newbies, old hands, famous builders, and everything in between. Plus the way the place is set up involves moderators who cull old messages to preserve the material that involves substance from someone who has experience, so if you do research there, you'll find material that's worth reading. It's an excellent place to learn and to get good answers to questions just like yours. It's a nice complement to this site: a different place with a different purpose, but it dovetails well.

Thanks buddy, I will check it out!
Old 10-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post

The lumber yards here are generally overpriced and you'd be hard pressed to find anything close to quarter sawn. Nonetheless my obsession with wood doesn't stop me from strolling around and seeing what they've got.

Cheers,

Nahil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Yes, I recall that you were not located in a particularly well-forested and humid part of the world. We in the US take too much for granted. I don't know what kind of trees flourish in your region but I am hoping that you are at least figuring in acclimatization and environmental stability in your storage spaces.

FWIW I do try to find sources close to home - at least with regards to how the wood is stored in order to reduce acclimation. I'm blessed to be a day trip by car from Steward MacDonald or RC Tonewoods and (with the exception of east Indian rosewood) am trying to work with "domestic" woods such as maple, walnut and red spruce or red cedar. Still, I need to stabilize the materials I work with - which unfortunately also requires time for them to acclimatize to my local environmental conditions. I have to admit, I still struggle to understand how to determine moisture content from a wood moisture meter but am told to look for a 6% figure. All I know is that if my wood is visibly warping I need to put it up on stickers so that there is consistent air flow across all six sides. If my boards are still "potato chips" then it's time to find something else to do to let time and season change do their thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair