The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
I don't typically take exception to the many 100's of post on the forum but this kind of sounds like too much of an undermining of the greatest acoustic guitar maker in history. I couldn't agree more that out of 100 Eastman guitars you would probably get that one that is exceptional and perhaps comparable but to suggest or imply that just trying Eastman at random would be on direct par with Martin's standard line is rather asinine.
I didn't take it that way. I don't think anybody is saying an Eastman is better than a Martin. He was just saying that they are making really good guitars now and acknowledging that some folks won't settle for anything other than the brand they prefer. No point in getting bent out of shape here, nobody is slighting Martin.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:58 PM

Default OOO-28

I agree with Social Exodus. I bought a 2017 OOO-28 earlier this year for $2300 and I find it very easy to finger pick despite my arthritis and carpal tunnel issues. I too am a lover of Taylors (mine is a 614ce) and find them easy to play. Get well soon!
Old 09-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
I don't typically take exception to the many 100's of post on the forum but this kind of sounds like too much of an undermining of the greatest acoustic guitar maker in history. I couldn't agree more that out of 100 Eastman guitars you would probably get that one that is exceptional and perhaps comparable but to suggest or imply that just trying Eastman at random would be on direct par with Martin's standard line is rather asinine.
Personally, I highly respect Martin Guitar. They make amazing instruments and oh boy the history and innovation! I guess, after trying them a few times, for me, the tone is typically not what I'm looking for. I do prefer their Mahogany over Rosewood though. The OOO-18 was the best I've heard yet to my ears, but I don't like it enough to pay the price. I guess I like the modern sounding guitar, more articulate...(again to my ears). I'm grateful there are so many great sounding acoustics now a days! Not the case when I started playing 39 years ago!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:11 PM

Remember that your choice of strings make a huge difference. At first, I loved the looks and feel of the Martin 000-28, but the sound was just OK. Then put my fav strings on and VOILA!!! - Beauty and perfection met.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
Remember that your choice of strings make a huge difference. At first, I loved the looks and feel of the Martin 000-28, but the sound was just OK. Then put my fav strings on and VOILA!!! - Beauty and perfection met.
I admit that I would like a second listen with some DR Sunbeams. The guy did put new strings on it, I think they were Monels (silver looking strings). I do know strings make a pretty big difference, but I've tried 3 different Martin's and I suspect that they are not what I'm looking for. Traditional vs. Modern...
Old 09-11-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullp View Post
@jweave69, I just bought a Recording King RO-318 and keep recommending it. Basically RK's version of a 000-18. I'm amazed at how good it plays and sound for even half of the price of an Eastman E10OM. Nothing wrong with the Eastman if this has the specs you like, and still an incredible deal. Yet, I like a little more space for my fingers at the bridge, which is exactly what I got from the Recording King. Check it out.
I finally got around to checking out the Recording King. Looks like a great value. What did you think of the "Thin V" neck profile?
Old 09-11-2020, 09:24 AM

Sounds like you are enjoying the hunt...that is at least part of the journey.

I don't like Martin strings. Never have - for the 30 years of my playing. I know some people do, and strings are very personal - like picks - but Martin strings sound dead to me almost immediately. Monel, standard, life span, does not matter. You might be surprised by the Martin sound with DRs or Elixirs.

I know I sound like a Martin fan boy - I really don't mean to...

Good luck with your search. There are loads of options out there.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
Sounds like you are enjoying the hunt...that is at least part of the journey.

I don't like Martin strings. Never have - for the 30 years of my playing. I know some people do, and strings are very personal - like picks - but Martin strings sound dead to me almost immediately. Monel, standard, life span, does not matter. You might be surprised by the Martin sound with DRs or Elixirs.

I know I sound like a Martin fan boy - I really don't mean to...

Good luck with your search. There are loads of options out there.
Thank you I appreciate that!
Old 09-11-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

As you.I prefer a short scale.

I am a huge Martin enthusiast .Realizing that they do produce the rare "dud",I have been impressed with their offerings.

I have not played one but for the price the Martin 000-X2E Guitar, seems it may be worthwhile to check out.

In the past,I have not been that impressed with Eastman guitars.

There is no risk ordering one from Sweetwater which has a very good return policy....

Gabe
Old 09-11-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

This CS Eastman E10OM splits the difference between standard and short scale at 25". A 14 fret OM with a slotted headstock and very cool fretboard inlays. If I didn't already have a E10OM-TC I'd swoop this one up pronto!
http://www.daveswoodstockmusic.com/E...M-Limited.html

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-11-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
This CS Eastman E10OM splits the difference between standard and short scale at 25". A 14 fret OM with a slotted headstock and very cool fretboard inlays. If I didn't already have a E10OM-TC I'd swoop this one up pronto!
http://www.daveswoodstockmusic.com/E...M-Limited.html
That's one I thought about trying as well. Just found out there's an Eastman dealer nearby that I'm going to check out on Monday. Edit: I thought that was the E1-OM. Not sure I want to spend that much. I would have to see it in person and it would really have to knock my socks off...
Old 09-14-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweave69 View Post
I finally got around to checking out the Recording King. Looks like a great value. What did you think of the "Thin V" neck profile?
It is exactly that. Pronounced v-shape, but very comfortable. It didn't ever feel awkward at all and I got used to it a very short time, although non of my other guitars has a v-neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion