The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E View Post
They're not cheap, are they ? I was a little surprised when it went to PayPal, and the final amount came up.
The shipping price is about the same for one as it is for ten sets of strings.
Newtone is what I use. So I order multiple sets and save on shipping.
I love the fact that you can custom order the exact gauge strings you want. I have been using a custom set of Newtone Masterclass Roundcore PB for a couple of years now. Absolutely love Newtone.
Thanks to RockDog49 praise, I will be ordering a set of Nickle-plated next time I place an order. I already use their Monels on one of my guitars.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Welcome to the world we UK-ers inhabit! If you want a real shock, check out the price of petrol (gasoline) here in the UK - that will really make your eyes water!
I feel for you.

( @ )===:::
Old 09-06-2020, 04:38 PM

I put the PBs on my Northwood. Immediately liked them and they only get better. Same with the monels on the D18. I think these will be my go to brand from now on. I'm excited to try the nickel next time.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
The shipping price is about the same for one as it is for ten sets of strings.
Newtone is what I use. So I order multiple sets and save on shipping.
I love the fact that you can custom order the exact gauge strings you want. I have been using a custom set of Newtone Masterclass Roundcore PB for a couple of years now. Absolutely love Newtone.
Thanks to RockDog49 praise, I will be ordering a set of Nickle-plated next time I place an order. I already use their Monels on one of my guitars.
Great, let everyone and especially me know how you like them.
Newtones have become my number one for everything. I even have a set on my J45 in the Nickel Steels. I still have a dozen or so sets of the discontinued Gibson Masterbuilts to work through, but I found their replacement in the future.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-06-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
They're not cheap, are they ? I was a little surprised when it went to PayPal, and the final amount came up.
You’re right, they aren’t, but IMHO, they are very good.
The fact that you can order any gauge you want and singles is a huge plus in my book.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-06-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Recently I had posted that I had tried some Newtone Nickel-Plated Steel strings on my D18 and liked them a lot.
Being the kind of guy I am, I decided to try something else on this guitar so after about six weeks of use I changed them out to a PB set of another brand. The Nickels were by no means, done yet, but I changed them anyway
Right away, I was not happy. The guitar seemed to lose its soul, heart and everything else. I attributed it to just being something different so I left them on for a couple of weeks. Well, finally I just couldn’t take it anymore and this morning I replaced them with another set of the Newtone Nickel Plated Steels again.
Boom! Back to life she sprang and how...loud, ringing and with a growl.
These are the Round Core Version in the following gauges: 56-46-36-26-16-12.
They are really easy to play and they project this guitar like a cannon. (Yes,I used that cliche’).
Just one man’s experience and wanting to share it.
To my ears, this is the best my D18 has sounded.
I love it when that happens. BTW, what is PSA.??
Old 09-06-2020, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Newtone strings also available from Guitar Gallery in Nashville. https://www.guitargal.com/collections/newtone-strings. I’ve bought from both Newtone direct and Guitar Gallery.

I use Newtone Monel strings on my Martin CEO-7. I’m going to try them on my Martin 00-17 Authentic 1931 next string change. Tried them on my Guild M-20 but I found I like Martin Retro’s better on it.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 09-07-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
PSA = Public Service Announcement.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-07-2020, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But neither are American strings cheap here in the UK - we pay £16-99 (that’s $21 plus a few cents) for Elixir Nano PBs, and £7-99 ($10) for D’Addario EJ17s.

Welcome to the world of international trade!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-07-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I agree ..... I googled it and made my best guess. I was pretty sure he wasn't referring to his prostrate.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-07-2020, 10:06 AM

Public Service Announcement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I agree ..... I googled it and made my best guess. I was pretty sure he wasn't referring to his prostrate.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Interesting. Have you tried the D’Addario nickel bronze strings on your D-18? If so, I’d be curious how they compare to these Newtone strings. I haven’t tried any nickel bronze yet, but I do have a pack of the D’Addario on hand I might put on the D-18 one of these days.
I haven't tried the Newtone strings, but right now I do have a set of D'Addario NB "Custom Lights" (.11-.52) on my 000-15 (custom all gloss with mahogany instead of sapele) and I'm liking them a lot. Changed them a week or two ago and they still sound very good - nice and clear, but with a solid, warm undertone that (at least to me) complements the mahogany body and top quite well. I have a set of Monels I will put on next, and that should give me a good basis for comparison. Previously, I have mostly used PBs (my normal choice for acoustics) on it and had not been terribly happy with it, and I ended up being very impressed with the NBs from the moment I put them on.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I haven't tried the Newtone strings, but right now I do have a set of D'Addario NB "Custom Lights" (.11-.52) on my 000-15 (custom all gloss with mahogany instead of sapele) and I'm liking them a lot. Changed them a week or two ago and they still sound very good - nice and clear, but with a solid, warm undertone that (at least to me) complements the mahogany body and top quite well. I have a set of Monels I will put on next, and that should give me a good basis for comparison. Previously, I have mostly used PBs (my normal choice for acoustics) on it and had not been terribly happy with it, and I ended up being very impressed with the NBs from the moment I put them on.
I have never tried those strings. When they first came out, I almost bought a set at my favorite guitar/music store and opted for the Monels.
One of these days...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion